Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 06:40 PM

Re: External Hard drive.

Thanks folks,, can i store programs like photo editing software and I tunes as well ?l
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
Windows developed a small program called SyncToy 2.1 to backup files from one location/drive to another.
I use SyncToy for backups, too .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have 6 external hard drives. Heavy things with enclosures and power supplies, also lots of wires and dust.
I use these - about the same size as a mobile phone and connected/powered by a single USB lead:

WD 1TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0

Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I use these - about the same size as a mobile phone and connected/powered by a single USB lead:

Good heavens Omah, I must be a dinosaur. And I thought I was with it with my memory cards. I must keep up with the times.
(Off now to follow the link.)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks folks,, can i store programs like photo editing software and I tunes as well ?l
I'm not sure about programmes. I suspect not, unless someone here knows how to do it.

Fortunately, all my programmes I have on the DVDs/CDs they came with or on the internet where I downloaded them from.

I have made a 'system image', however, on both external hard drives. I am assuming that, if necessary, this can be copied to the internal hard drive and would include everything including Windows and all programmes.

At least, I hope so.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

I have Buffalo which I think is similar to that Omah
It plugs into the USB port and I just say which things I would like saved eg all photographs bookmarks/documents/emails .
It looks very easy to use though I haven't used it on my own, my son bought it for me and copied all the things I wanted.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 09:35 AM

Thanks folks,i will investigate Sync toy, and i was looking at some ex hard drives yesterday.
Ian Haines
Merseyside, UK
Ian Haines is male  Ian Haines has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 07:51 AM

Hi...

You don't have to have any photo-editing programs only on C drive. You can, while in the process of installing them, choose to install them on an external drive - the change is only one typed letter away.

However, there's at least one even better option.

(1) Instead of even having to install a photo editor on an external drive, just download a photo editor that has a "PORTABLE" version. That can be completely put on an external hard drive and runs from that external, too. It's called portable because you can have the program on a dinky little flash drive (i.e., a USB memory stick) in your pocket, wherever you go. Run that portable photo-editor from the USB stick and edit / organise the photos from / on your external.

(2) If safety of photos is crucial, you could get a "Photobucket" account, or an "Open Drive" account and safely upload them to those (in the "cloud", as it's described) and they'll not only always be safe, up there, but you can log into them on a friend's or relative's machine and - BINGO - there they are, visible and safe! You have lots of options open.

(3) Open a Facebook account (in a fake name, if you'll take my advice) and you can create an entire jam-packed extra page of all of your photos up there. Those, too, can be viewed by whoever you decide you want to view them - that includes others who have no Facebook accounts of their own, because you can make your massive photo section of your Facebook main page "Open" and nobody needs have a Facebook account to even see them...just send them the link and they'll be taken right there.

Just, a few ideas, really. You've a lot to take in, I know. I hope that this was helpful in some way.

Ian.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Cloud storage does seem to be the way forward.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

17-02-2017, 08:52 AM

Thanks folks, ben a slight development, my friend is passing on his laptop which has windows 10, so i will wait and see what i can do with that, and may add lightroom as its compatible. Also wiil look into cloud based storage.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top