Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 09:18 PM

Re: computers

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
i quite expected protestations coming from the computer literate hierarchy who probably use the most up-to-date machines and operating systems, and like nothing better than to fiddle about with their puters, and having orgasms when they successfully install a mind blowing piece of software.

Well the reality is, that most puter users just want to store photos, write stuff on facebook, twitter and over fifties forum, pay bills and do some online shopping....they want to be able to boot up their machines and find it just like they left it without having to keep referring to the manual to discover what's gone wrong.

Their machines are probably a few years old when a one gigabyte ram would fulfil their wildest dreams. Operating systems are most likely vista, windows seven or eight and were not designed to download vast amounts of data that the latest machines can now handle with ease.
So it's hardly surprising that an older system get's screwed up big time when unlimited fixes for this problem or that problem, which didn't even exist before accepting an update.

So if your system does not encounter problems after allowing updates it boils down to three things. (1) either you are lucky (2) you know quite a bit about computers or (3) you have all the latest gear. And as for the source of my observation, you only have to read through some of the numerous posts on this forum, and other sites just like it, not to mention friends and family who approach me on a weekly basis wondering why they no longer are able to perform tasks on their computers that they once could.....
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 10:04 PM

Well Sir

I simply had no idea that on could get an orgasm from a Software programme on a Computer.

Please tell me the name of this Software.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 10:08 PM

If all else fails go to Geek Squad where for a small annual fee they will solve many problems sometimes within minutes, and as many times as you require help.

gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 10:17 PM

I just wait for the Microsoft engineers to phone me and tell me that I have a problem. They are so kind, especially after I have given them my passwords etc
Just kidding viewers, never give out any passwords to so-called Microsoft engineers, or anyone else.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
If all else fails go to Geek Squad where for a small annual fee they will solve many problems sometimes within minutes, and as many times as you require help.

Oh? Do they do orgasms too?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-08-2017, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->

It appears that Geek Squad is connected with Currys-PCWorld.

No thanks!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

01-08-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh? Do they do orgasms too?
Perhaps when they have solved the problem it may give them a lift.

gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It appears that Geek Squad is connected with Currys-PCWorld.

No thanks!
They are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I quite expected protestations coming from the Computer Literate hierarchy who probably use the most up-to-date machines and operating systems, and like nothing better than to fiddle about with their puters, and having orgasms when they successfully install a mind blowing piece of software.
If there is a computer forum, or a computer section within a general forum, it can be expected to attract posts from those interested in the running of computers per se. Those people will still use their computers for useful purposes but just prefer to go that bit further in the understanding of what goes on in the background. With that interest comes differing opinions on this and that.

It's a harmless and possibly pleasing/interesting pastime but not one that causes orgasms ..well, not for me so far anyway.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Their machines are probably a few years old when a one gigabyte ram would fulfil their wildest dreams. Operating systems are most likely Vista, Windows Seven or Eight and were not designed to download vast amounts of data that the latest machines can now handle with ease.
So it's hardly surprising that an older system get's screwed up big time when unlimited fixes for this problem or that problem, which didn't even exist before accepting an update.
I don't know what operating systems you think people are using but this is nonsense and you could have checked this yourself. Ignoring Vista (no longer supported) the minimum requirements for Windows 7 and Windows 10 to run properly are exactly the same.

From Microsoft's web site:

WIN 7

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor*
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Win 10

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.

As for the "vast amounts of data"? the programs the operating systems use are exactly the same. Why should the amount of data vary? A slower machine just takes longer.

Just for completeness here are the figures for Vista:

Vista

800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor.
512 megabytes (MB) of system memory. ...
DirectX 9-class graphics card.
32 MB of graphics memory.
20-gigabyte (GB) hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space.
Internal or external DVD drive.
Internet access capability.
Audio output capability.

Hardly a startling difference is it?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top