Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 09:51 PM

Re: Getting fit for 2019 - Are you going to?

In reply to the thread heading I have started to walk more. Not far at first, about half a mile did me in then decided to try with my walking boots on instead of ordinary shoes.
So far managed about 2 miles but it really did me in. I got extreme pain around one leg just below the hip and in the small of my back. Voltorol has helped quite a bit.

I have about 3 months to be able to manage about 4 miles possibly and climb at least 100 steps to get ready for the Japan trip. This is a great incentive ,lets hope the weather doesn't ruin my plans
we have a great hill in Hastings with plenty of steps to climb so will have to go there a few times as well

From white house to top are the steps, just see the handrail
UniGeezer
California, USA
UniGeezer is male  UniGeezer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 01:57 AM

Some good ideas here. Stair climbing is great for legs abs and cardio and you're never more than a couple hundred yards away from your car.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 02:28 AM

Stair climbing? No thanks! I do walk down six flights of stairs at work though. Walking up is not for me.

I must start doing yoga again. Dog walking is my only recreational exercise at the moment. It's amazing how easy it is to just get into a mindset where you don't exercise. Particularly when you're really busy 24/7. Having experience of many injuries over the years limits the options somewhat.

Sweetie, be careful on that trampoline. I'm sure there's something about the combination of ageing ligaments and intense impact that can't be compatible.

IMO the best diet is everything in moderation. A little of what you fancy is good for the soul.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
In reply to the thread heading I have started to walk more. Not far at first, about half a mile did me in then decided to try with my walking boots on instead of ordinary shoes.
So far managed about 2 miles but it really did me in. I got extreme pain around one leg just below the hip and in the small of my back. Voltorol has helped quite a bit.

I have about 3 months to be able to manage about 4 miles possibly and climb at least 100 steps to get ready for the Japan trip. This is a great incentive ,lets hope the weather doesn't ruin my plans
we have a great hill in Hastings with plenty of steps to climb so will have to go there a few times as well. Are you stretching before and after?

From white house to top are the steps, just see the handrail
Fantastic climb and worthy goal to be in prime shape for Japan. If you keep at it, I am sure you'll be ready.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Surfer.

We went to a small seaside place called Seaton which is in East Devon. As always, I thought we would be the only ones there but I was surprised to see that thousands had come out for a nice walk. Not too cold either so it was very enjoyable.
I Googled Seaton - gorgeous! A shame about the crowds bur from what I saw, I can't image that even a thousand like-minded people could have spoiled the day. Lucky you!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Stair climbing? No thanks! I do walk down six flights of stairs at work though. Walking up is not for me.

I must start doing yoga again. Dog walking is my only recreational exercise at the moment. It's amazing how easy it is to just get into a mindset where you don't exercise. Particularly when you're really busy 24/7. Having experience of many injuries over the years limits the options somewhat.

Sweetie, be careful on that trampoline. I'm sure there's something about the combination of ageing ligaments and intense impact that can't be compatible.

IMO the best diet is everything in moderation. A little of what you fancy is good for the soul .
The yoga enthusiasts here got me back into yoga, and I realize now how much flexibility work I needed. Some of my friends do yoga only with a little walking and they are really happy with their results.

I'd like to hear about how you do with it.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 06:20 AM

A bit of yoga and walking is fabulous for joint relief. You’ll feel ten years younger at least.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Diets do not work. Period imho.
Diets DO. People don't. Diet merely means "a change of diet" and if you change it successfully in the long term, it will work. Weak people set themselves up to fail. Brutal, but there you go.

As for your opinion that they do not work, "period", well, having lost between 8 and 9 stone and kept it off for the last three or four years, I think your opinion is worthless. You really need to know what you are talking about before you are qualified to have an opinion.

Not unless, of course, it was the Weight-Loss Fairy waving her wand that did it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Diets DO. People don't. Diet merely means "a change of diet" and if you change it successfully in the long term, it will work. Weak people set themselves up to fail. Brutal, but there you go.

As for your opinion that they do not work, "period", well, having lost between 8 and 9 stone and kept it off for the last three or four years, I think your opinion is worthless. You really need to know what you are talking about before you are qualified to have an opinion.

Not unless, of course, it was the Weight-Loss Fairy waving her wand that did it.
Hi Tachyon

Ignoring the silly element of this post all you are basically doing is playing with English terminology as another poster did earlier in the thread.

The term "going on a diet" for the vast majority of people means a TEMPORARY eating regime with the aim of losing weight. It is THOSE diets, specifically those that I maintain do not work.

It's just crass to try lumping that well established terminology in with "diet" being defined as a permanent eating style such as a gluten free diet or vegan diet.

The 2 terms are clearly very different and most sensible people know exactly when a discussion is referring to the temporary "going on a diet" vs when it is referring to the other definition.

On a personal basis, when I change my eating habits permanently, such as deciding to cut out sugar, I don't refer to that in terms of a "diet". I don't think of myself as being on a "sugar-free diet". It is a life change and decision to stop buying sugar and putting it in drinks.

We can make generic statements such as "I have a healthy sugar free diet" where "diet" means an overall permanent eating style. I would not make the statement "I am on a sugar-free diet" which implies a temporary eating change.

I don't honestly understand why some people struggle with the different definitions nor why there is a need to bring it up.

Everybody understands what is meant and implied by the statement "going on a diet"

Those diets don't work.

A permanent change to eating habits is always what is needed and is the only way to truly and permanently lose weight. We need better life diets. What we don't need is to go on "diets".
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 02:53 PM

Get a big active dog is my advice..........
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
...all you are basically doing is playing with English terminology...
No, I'm correcting YOUR sloppy terminology, hence your backpedalling now. In essence, you just like the sound of your own voice.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
No, I'm correcting YOUR sloppy terminology, hence your backpedalling now. In essence, you just like the sound of your own voice.
Just being silly Tachyon.

I raised the issue of useless "diets" when Mups posted up the details of an up and coming programme called:

"The Big Fat Lies about Diet & Exercise."

which was described as:

"A documentary examining the pros and cons of the diet industry"

I made my definition of "diet" patently clear in the post too saying:

"Any "diet" is by definition just a temporary eating change and as such will soon enough come to an end at which point normal service is resumed."

You appear to be desperately trying to find some way to assert that I've stated something other than what I said. Why would that be?

Regardless my stance is not changed. Going on a diet, is a waste of time. Only proper food education and understanding followed by a life change in eating habits is going to have the positive and permanent effects of health and weight loss that so many wish for. It's not difficult really.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top