Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 06:06 PM

Re: Hard drive failing

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
Wot O/S are you running XP ?? have you tried a system restore you have you done a defrag & disc clean, virus malware and adware check etc ..if you have a restore disc you can 'repair' the windows O/S windows without losing data
Done all that, it's Windows 7. I yearn for my old ME pc. It was lovely, simple, Print It worked on it, which I miss so much as it was better than Photoshop, easier to understand. BUT wouldn't take new printers. OOOOOOOOh the good old days!!!!!
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 07:37 PM

QUOTE Anyone have thoughts on what else to do? The laptop is 6.5 years old so I suppose that's it for expected life span. I don't like the thought of losing installed programs, but if I have to reinstall on the next laptop (if and when I can get one), so be it.
[[/QUOTE

I am wondering if the spec of your 6 1/2 year old machine is up to the task of running windows 7 it seems that you have installed windows 7 on a old machine prob Vista ...what RAM have you got installed ect I changed from Vista to 7 and installed more ram dont forget it is not only the O/S which uses the Ram but the programmes associated with it also if you have enough physical ram check it you could have a faulty module ..Have you gone into your start up via the system configuration menu (msconfig) and made sure you have disabled all the progs you dont need to start up and run in the background ...to many will slow the boot up and make your machine run slow

..I have got these specs off the windows page

"If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver"..

I fear the list is endless unless it is off course a dud H/D and perhaps a nice new modern machine may be in the pipeline ...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Silly, silly silly, silly girl

The only thing as sure as death and taxes is that a hard drive will fail, it might be tomorrow or next year but it will fail.

With 1TB usb hard drives so cheap there is no excuse for not backing up all your documents and files. There are plenty of free programs that will do it automatically for you on a daily or at least regular basis.

No more excuses... BACK IT UP!
Oh, I know better! Not panicked over this. Just miss the convenience of my laptop. My SIL's PC is soooooo slow I hate using it. I type the url I want and then stare at the screen waiting for the first 'w' to show up. At the library now, using theirs.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Here is a program that does it for you ARECA its free. I don't use it so I don't know how good it is but if you look in the sourceforge web site you will find heaps, all free

I am afraid I am one of those dinosaurs that still use batch files and DOS for such matters.
Thanks for the link. I remember messing about with config.sys and autoexec.bat ages ago. Of course I had a brain then.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Thanks for the link. I remember messing about with config.sys and autoexec.bat ages ago. Of course I had a brain then.
Ha ha there's not many of us left but it does come in useful occasionally.

BTW don't forget if you made a recovery disk when you first got your laptop, you can buy a new hard disk (they are cheap enough) to replace the dodgy one, run the recovery disk and Bob's your uncle, you laptop is back in business. It is a pain reloading all your favourite programs and the data but it can be done.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

23-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Ha ha there's not many of us left but it does come in useful occasionally.

BTW don't forget if you made a recovery disk when you first got your laptop, you can buy a new hard disk (they are cheap enough) to replace the dodgy one, run the recovery disk and Bob's your uncle, you laptop is back in business. It is a pain reloading all your favourite programs and the data but it can be done.
I did... but have moved twice since then and am still not sure where the recovery disk is hidden.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Sorry Sue, but Your hard drive is corrupted, nothing could be done, when mine went, fear it has been a bad virus, maybe your PC expert can clean it, but mine couldn't and finished up in the bin.
Apparently I wasn't the first, and it looks like I won't be the last, I believe it came via an email.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top