Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 07:50 AM

Re: Who will teach the kids?

I always wondered what gave an uncertificated individual the right to mete out justice, in the form of corporal punishment, when such punishment may have been necessary.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 07:53 AM

It doesn't always work either - I had the ruler across the back of my legs and my knuckles many times and it never deterred me. I often wonder if those teachers, looking back, realised that when they did that to pupils such as myself, do they think themselves lucky we weren't like some the youngsters today who would have hit them back!
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 03:30 AM

I was no angel at school and as much as I was good,
I could also play up.

However, there was a strong line at which I knew I
couldnt pass and a certain amount of fear, respect, and
knowing it was time to stop.

But, it certainly does not reach the actions of some
young today.

They are the future Mums and Dads and so the cycle
goes on.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

23-05-2013, 04:15 AM

In China and other Asian countries the grandparents play a significant role in teaching the kids - as part of the extended family system which we have given away.

but I believe there will always be 'schools' and 'teachers' and 'kids' but the techniques will need to be new and challenging - therein lies the challenge and the fear!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 05:49 AM

Probably at the moment too much emphasis on the 'rights' of the child with not enough emphasis on the 'responsibilities' of the child. They need to be kept in balance.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Probably at the moment too much emphasis on the 'rights' of the child with not enough emphasis on the 'responsibilities' of the child. They need to be kept in balance.
To be honest, I think that has become a problem throughout society: too much emphasis on rights but little on responsibility.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As do the rights and responsibilities of parents. Julie - I like your comments re parents being involved with school. My parents were, and I always was too. The principal and staff knew me and knew who my kids were. I had a home-based business so I made time to volunteer in the school library and assisted with special events at Christmas and such.

Also agree with lack of nutrition as a factor in behaviour and attentiveness.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

25-05-2013, 07:29 AM

One of the top schools in WA, Perth has just made a paradigm shift. It is cutting back on praise and rewards and has written to all parents informing them of the decision and why. It will now minimise praise, reduce reward stickers and provide work that is deliberately too difficult so that students can experience failure!

current practices have believed that building up self-esteem would lead to high achievement. but recent research has shown that over-praising children meant they were less capable of dealing with disappointments later in life.

A social researcher commented that constantly praising children actually damages them. New research is showing that it is not self-esteem but self-control and self-respect that are the best predictors of how well kids will perform. Societies obsession with the pursuit of happiness and self-esteem was driving the idea that everything has to be fabulous - avoiding pain, suffering and disappointment.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2013, 07:37 AM

I couldn't agree more with the last two paragraphs of M28 - and it's a belief I went along with for around a year before realising it was huge mistake. Thankfully, many parents continued to do what they've always done which is raise children that are aware they will not succeed at everything they try and failing at something is just a part of life. That can, of course, be offset by telling youngsters that not excelling at something is okay - just as they have skills and attritubes that others don't, the reverse is also true. It is why it is important that children should be allowed to follow their natural abilities (even if parents and schools feel disappointed (for whatever reason) with the youngsters choice) rather than be shoe horned into careers that do not sit comfortably with them.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 10:02 AM

"A social researcher commented that constantly praising children actually damages them." Of course it does but it's a bit late now, the damage is done. The phrase "Credit where credit is due" covers that, or have they never heard of it before.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top