Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 05:16 PM

Re: Strange Food

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sue darlin' - treat Elk like you would Venison - needs to be marinaded first and cooked VERY slowly otherwise it'll end up dry and 'tough as old boots'.
I don't know if that would have done much for the burgers as it was ground meat formed into patties. Marinade might make them crumble. I'd try elk as a steak I suppose, and will remember marinade it I do.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 09:04 PM

In Malta on holiday, I was once presented with baby octopuses (octopi?) in tomato sauce. they were only the size of a 20p coin and no, I couldn't eat them.

I have eaten crocodile and it tastes rather like chicken.................

Gwyn
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
In Malta on holiday, I was once presented with baby octopuses (octopi?) in tomato sauce. they were only the size of a 20p coin and no, I couldn't eat them.

I have eaten crocodile and it tastes rather like chicken.................

Gwyn
Oh no! Not another thing that tastes like chicken

Did you see that documentary with Frank Skinner in China (I think) when he was given octopus to eat - he was also given a small bowl of oil but had no idea what that was for. He popped the octopus tentacle into his mouth and it clung on to his tongue that was what the bowl of oil was for: to dip the tentacle in so it wouldn't grab his tongue ...
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I visited a farm with a friend in S.Africa. Mostly they kept pigs, we tried some sausage, it wasn't bad but, the guy said it was rabbit, then he took us into a barn filled with rabbits in cages. There was rabbit biltong stretched across some cages drying out, flies all over it and dead "runts" that had been left on there too. Never wanted to try anything different since! Although before that I tried buffalo which was very tasty (not from that farm)
Did you ever visit The Carnivore Restaurant in Muldersdrift or The Train at Midrand when you were in South Africa?

We used to go to them both quite regularly. Just off the top of my head I remember they served giraffe, elephant, rhino (these from environmental culling, not shot for the pot) crocodile, bush pig, kudu, impala, cane rat (more a sort of porcupine) zebra, mopani worms and shark. I’ve also eaten whale meat, frogs legs, snails, kangaroo and I’m guessing most types of shell fish although there may be some I’ve never heard of.

When we first got to this country we tried faggots, black pudding and () mushy peas

I guess I’m willing to give anything a try once. Although I had to be talked in to trying shark and crocodile. Something about eating a food that considers humans a tasty delicacy seems a bit weird. Although I have heard that pigs are not averse to eating meat?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top