Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 08:00 PM

Tired

Sick of reading the news. Disheartened by so much negativity. Yesterday we buried my dear cousin, a lovely woman full of life and love, one day past her 59th birthday. Two of my brothers and two of my girls went with me - we left Sunday after visiting my mother and stayed overnight. It was a 7 hour drive each way. I'm so tired.

Discovered this morning that my grandson was playing with something I keep on a book shelf in my room. This means that someone had opened my bedroom door (which is fitted with a child-proof knob that my grandson absolutely can not turn) while I was gone. I have a fire-proof box for papers and small items and that was locked when I left. It's unlocked now. I had been keeping a few things of sentimental value for my OH in that box while he gets back on his feet. I'm trying to determine what, if anything, is missing.

The only one who was here is my son-in-law, whom I am not fond of for various reasons I won't go in to. I do not have the heart to confront him or even to mention it to my daughter. I have nothing of great value and this is such a small incident compared to all else going on but I'm just so tired of one thing after another and would like some respect for the few things I have left in my own room. End of rant.

p.s. - no point in putting a lock on the door as he works in a hardware store and has a set of lock picks. I assume they can be used to open locks but not lock something again, which is why the fire-proof box is now unlocked.

p.p.s - he was also too lazy to empty the overflowing kitchen garbage or wash up after himself. The place looks trashed and we were gone 38 hours. Ok, that's the end of my rant.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Re: Tired

I don't know what to reply Sue.
I send ((hugs)) and wish I were there to give you them in person.
You must be extremely upset, it's your privacy, your own space that has been invaded.
I sincerely hope nothing is missing. I wouldn't confront him either, it'll only end up with you falling out with your daughter.
love, Jan x
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 09:56 PM

He must know you have seen the open box and therefore know someone has been in and you would suspect him , so I think I would be extremely careful of him from now on, and watch for any change in your daughter's behaviour towards you cos he may try to alienate her from you and say you're trying to cause trouble if you do say anything. Sorry to hear your latest problem. Fingers crossed your luck will change soon and sending you my best wishes.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 10:00 PM

It's bad enough coming back from a funeral without having to face the fact that someone has been through your very personal things AJ, I don't know what to say, except I'm sorry to hear the news, maybe you could find a secure hiding place for your stuff in the bedroom?.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 10:05 PM

Sue that's awful what a despicable thing to do going through your things
Can you not get one of those padlocks with a code , I don't think they can be picked.

Sorry to hear about your cousin, what a horrid day you have had...(hugs)
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dear cousin.

Can't you show SIL the door?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 10:59 PM

Sue, how upsetting that must have been for you and for him to have gone through your personal things while you were at a funeral is disgusting.

I wouldn't confront him either as it is your daughter's house and you have to live there, it would make it very awkward for you and your daughter. Meg's suggestion of getting a lock with a code is worth considering....

Sorry to hear about your cousin ...... sending *hugs* to you...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2013, 11:41 PM

Thanks all. My cousin has been fighting a long battle with cancer and we knew this was coming. She's at peace now, and remembered with much love. Her husband arranged for the bells at the old family church in Hungary, where her father lived, to be rung at the same time as the funeral here in Canada. As her son said, she is remembered and missed in the old world as well as the new.

I think it's best if I try to reach my OH and see it there's someone I can send his things to for safe-keeping. The fire-proof box has its own lock built in so I can't use a combination lock on it. Trying to think where else things can go.

Robert - I don't own the house. They rent it and I sublet a bedroom from them. I was in need of a place to live and it helped them get out of a tiny one bedroom basement apartment into a bigger, brighter place. Hazel - yes, as he couldn't lock the fire-box again he may be watching for a comment from me.

As for the item my grandson was playing with I simply put it back on the shelf in my room. He's too young to tell me how he got hold of it.

I'm just so very tired today. Lately I feel like my "time" has come and gone and that's hard to explain other than I don't feel like there's much ahead any more. Maybe it's just the fatigue from the long drive and that's all.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Don't you have Banks with Safety Deposit Boxes where you are? I'd be moving things I needed to keep safe to there if I could. I know you don't want to confront him, but I'd certainly let it be known that someone has gone through your things, otherwise it may keep happening.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2013, 10:06 AM

So sad to hear this Annie - you are in my thoughts and I hope you soon turn the corner ... wishing you so many heartfelt good wishes...
Love Pats x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top