Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 01:17 AM

Hard drive failing

First I got a message saying a file on the HD could not be read. I ran CCleaner and defraggler, rebooted. Now the desktop and icons show up but instantly there's a screen saying Windows Explorer has crashed (or words to that effect) immediately followed by a screen saying Windows Explorer is restarting. These two messages keep cycling one after the other and I can't get anything else to open or run.

Yesterday I chose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option at start-up and was pleased to find a DOS-like screen (cmd.exe). Wracked my brains for a bit to recall commands then texted my youngest for some brainstorming and successfully navigated to some docs I want to save and copied them to a memory card (pulled out of my digital camera) reading as the F drive. *applause*

Will look for more memory cards tomorrow and grab some more files.

Anyone have thoughts on what else to do? The laptop is 6.5 years old so I suppose that's it for expected life span. I don't like the thought of losing installed programs, but if I have to reinstall on the next laptop (if and when I can get one), so be it.

I'm using my daughter's PC now and it's dreadfully slow. Whatever I type takes several seconds to show up and clicking links is even slower.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 01:34 AM

Re: Hard drive failing

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->

Yesterday I chose the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option at start-up and was pleased to find a DOS-like screen (cmd.exe). Wracked my brains for a bit to recall commands then texted my youngest for some brainstorming and successfully navigated to some docs I want to save and copied them to a memory card (pulled out of my digital camera) reading as the F drive. *applause*

Will look for more memory cards tomorrow and grab some more files.

Anyone have thoughts on what else to do? The laptop is 6.5 years old so I suppose that's it for expected life span. I don't like the thought of losing installed programs, but if I have to reinstall on the next laptop (if and when I can get one), so be it.
Silly, silly silly, silly girl

The only thing as sure as death and taxes is that a hard drive will fail, it might be tomorrow or next year but it will fail.

With 1TB usb hard drives so cheap there is no excuse for not backing up all your documents and files. There are plenty of free programs that will do it automatically for you on a daily or at least regular basis.

No more excuses... BACK IT UP!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 07:14 AM

Wise words Bruce, wise words..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2013, 05:20 PM

I'm having similar worries, bought an external hard drive but won't work, won't burn anything to disk either. Only need to save photos as I don't mind about the rest. No idea how you "back things up"......etc......
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I'm having similar worries, bought an external hard drive but won't work, won't burn anything to disk either. Only need to save photos as I don't mind about the rest. No idea how you "back things up"......etc......
Here is a program that does it for you ARECA its free. I don't use it so I don't know how good it is but if you look in the sourceforge web site you will find heaps, all free

I am afraid I am one of those dinosaurs that still use batch files and DOS for such matters.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 03:56 PM

Batch files? DOS? Where do you learn this stuff. I shout at my laptop " I'm gonna throw you out the effin window in a minute!" that's about as technical as I get, works sometimes!
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Just get a 12 yr old to help!!!! They're not always cheap but they are fast!!!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

20-05-2013, 08:18 PM

I've got a teenager, she's tried everything she knows (won't explain to me) still can't get it to work properly, I can be writing on here & it just vanishes or goes blue or freezes. May have get new device (whispering in case it hears me)
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2013, 11:32 PM

Wot O/S are you running XP ?? have you tried a system restore you have you done a defrag & disc clean, virus malware and adware check etc ..if you have a restore disc you can 'repair' the windows O/S windows without losing data
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Batch files? DOS? Where do you learn this stuff.
When I bought my first computer that was all there was. Way before Windows.

I wouldn't want anybody to learn DOS commands now but it is really useful if you already know it and it is very simple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top