Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Tornado strikes Oklahoma City Suburbs

Huge Tornado strikes Oklahoma City Suburbs
Utter devastation when I switched on the news this morning

Current reports indicate that at least 91 people, including 20 children, are feared killed by a huge tornado which tore through Oklahoma City suburbs and this number could escalate as rescue workers continue to search the buildings.

Many homes and schools are completely destroyed and the Tornado speed was estimated at up to 200 miles per hour on a track between one to two miles wide.?

Our thoughts are with the people of that region and looking at the pictures the area looks like a war zone.

A survivor of the devastating tornado was showing a news crew the wreckage of her home when she found her pet dog, that she thought had died, amongst the rubble.

http://tinyurl.com/phvwo4r

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 10:43 AM

Re: Tornado strikes Oklahoma City Suburbs

With 'hurricanes' - there are warnings, is this the case with tornados..?
Also - by now - you would think houses and other buildings would have bunkers - for countries that are prone to this extreme weather .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:23 PM

Apparently they saw the clouds forming but didn't realize that it would be so huge & quick. Terrible!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:31 PM

I'm almost sure they 'do' have warnings because some people are 'tornado chasers' ......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Yep, that's who said they saw the clouds forming etc. Trouble is they don't have time to do anything about it, it moves too fast & changes direction etc. This was a huge one, I think they said it was about 14 years since one that size hit last.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 05:38 PM

Thank you for posting this Michael.
It was dreadful and upsetting to read about it this morning.
My thoughts are with those poor people too.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 07:05 PM

The devastation and loss of life caused by the tornado is horrific. It's heartbreaking watching and reading the news coming in, my heart goes out to all those involved.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 10:59 PM

Latest is that 24 comfimed dead 9 of which were children. Apparently they had approx 14 mins warning. A Hurricane is weather system that can be tracked. Tornados are formed by a combination of weather systems which may or maynot create a tornado. They can give possibl/probable tornado warnings but they live in tornado alley so.......
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

22-05-2013, 12:06 PM

the town is directly in the pathway of tornadoes all the time - I would think it prudent to rebuild the town somewhere else as apparently there are very few towns or cities in Oklahoma?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
With 'hurricanes' - there are warnings, is this the case with tornados..?
Also - by now - you would think houses and other buildings would have bunkers - for countries that are prone to this extreme weather .....
There were plenty of warnings even that the likelyhood was that it would be a very severe tornado.

A friend of mine is a storm chaser who was in the area chasing a storm 10 miles further south. I have been following his adventures on Facebook. As he said today the event rather took the fun out of his holiday.

Odd sort of holiday driving hundreds of kms looking for bad weather. It will be interesting to hear about it when he returns.

He has a Youtube channel called Ozthunder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top