Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:26 PM

Can you taste the difference?

I went to Morrisons the other day as my car is playing up and didn't fancy driving to all the way to Waitrose.

At first I was surprised at how cheap food is there - Salmon on sale at £8 KG (3 fillets for £3.50 !). So I bought two lots.

OMG THEY TASTE LIKE WATER!!

I guess that's intensive farming for you!

Most of the veg was equally tasteless.

So, can you taste the difference between quality food and the cheaper 'stuff'?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:47 PM

Re: Can you taste the difference?

I won't hear a word said against Morrisons! . Very reasonable are their prices.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:10 AM

Aldı are top for price and quality.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:19 AM

I can't afford Waitrose prices, but I recently went into a new one in the area and found two items I can't buy anywhere else locally. Can't say I was impressed by the lack of selection on other items but, it was a very pleasant store to shop in.
I can't comment on flavours but I can see why people shop there.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I went to Morrisons the other day as my car is playing up and didn't fancy driving to all the way to Waitrose.

At first I was surprised at how cheap food is there - Salmon on sale at £8 KG (3 fillets for £3.50 !). So I bought two lots.

OMG THEY TASTE LIKE WATER!!

I guess that's intensive farming for you!

Most of the veg was equally tasteless.

So, can you taste the difference between quality food and the cheaper 'stuff'?
Azz, I hope you will take the tasteless food back for a refund or send their Head Office an email. They welcome customer's feedback!

I will never buy 'Value' products in a supermarket. I can also tell the difference between butter and margarine and the butter and oil stuff in tubs. Yuk! Only butter for me!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:30 AM

I can tell the difference with many things .
I once went to Morrisons, (it smelt of rotting fish ) and was delighted to see reasonably priced pineapples and melons.
I bought one of each, they were horrible, I could have been eating turnip.
A bargain is not a bargain if you can't eat it.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Aldı are top for price and quality.
not if you watched the Aldi documentary on tv recently, much of the fresh food is out of date and their treatment of staff is very poor
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
not if you watched the Aldi documentary on tv recently, much of the fresh food is out of date and their treatment of staff is very poor
Honey, I wonder if this programme is still available to view?
I wouldn't be seen dead in Aldi or Lidl, nor would I eat their food!!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 01:31 AM

I've always shopped regularly in Aldi but only for a few bits and bobs but that documentary was an eye opener, they even failed basic safety precautions!

It was aired on Channel 4 - 16th Nov, you could try searching for the prog if it's still live or via Catch up tv if you have it
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 02:24 AM

At least your population allows you to have choice. Here in Tasmania (where there are only half a million people) we only have two supermarket chains (Coles and Woolworths) which are almost identical in choice and price and the choice is pathetic compared with the UK. Ready meals on the scale of the UK are completely unknown. And there is nothing remotely like M&S food halls.

I love the English supermarkets when we come on holiday. You would find the range of items here very limited.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top