Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Piggy in the freezer.

We've been busy this past week. We got the pigs off to the abattoire, but unfortunately we had to travel quite a long way because fewer places handle business from smallholders.

Anyway, we got them back, butchered and packed into the freezers. This years pigs are definitely smaller but leaner than last years, and I've earmarked a rolled shoulder joint to accompany the turkey this Christmas.

The average cost of the pork was about £4.40p a kg. Not bad for an outdoor 'rare breed' pig.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 07:13 PM

Re: Piggy in the freezer.

You lucky thing George
I don't have my own pork but at the weekend will be having outdoor reared Tamworth from the farm shop which has been foraging in a woods .
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 08:22 PM

Sounds good Meg. I think our pigs had a lot of Tamworth characteristics. They were very keen on grubbing round in their paddock - pity there isn't fencing round the orchard as they loved apples.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 09:23 PM

Is it that time of year again George? how quick that was. Well done, you and the missus enjoy the meat this Christmas.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

05-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Tried our first pork chops from this year's piggies. Much better than supermarket pork, leaner than Saddleback, but not as much flavour as we had hoped for. It may simply be the breed or perhaps the ratio of fat/lean meat has something to do with it. They were fed basically the same grub as last year - maybe not as many apples. Anyway, we will probably go back to Saddlebacks, or maybe try Gloucester Old Spots.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 01:40 PM

OOOOOh . Best bit of the pig is the crackling.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top