Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:41 PM

Would You Know What I meant, If I said, ‘Put It On The Book’?

Years ago, my mother had an understanding with the local grocer, where you bought stuff, perhaps daily and put it ‘on the book’.

Towards, the weekend my mother would put in her ‘order’ and it would be delivered by the grocer.

The order for my family would consist of essential foods but a treat each for us four children and was delivered by the grocer in his estate car on a Friday.

I always chose a Crunchie bar as my treat!

Can you associate yourself with these times and remember getting stuff ‘on the book’?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:45 PM

Re: Would You Know What I meant, If I said, ‘Put It On The Book’?

Mum had a coop book with a number and you also got a divi.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:52 PM

IIRC, my parents used "on the slate" (a running account) or "on the knock" (buy now, pay later, in instalments) .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Mum had a coop book with a number and you also got a divi.

Yes Muddy, my mother had a Co-Op book and her number was 31089! You never forget the Co-Op divi number!!

The ‘book’ my mother had with the local grocer, was before then.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:14 AM

We had an account at the local newsagent when I was a kid. THat usually only covered delivered papers but my mother used to throw the occasional magazine on it if she had no cash. I tried it once with a surf magazine but the newsagent just gave me a mocking look..not the mag. That is the only "put it on the book/ account" situation I remember.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 08:47 AM

Oh yes all of us kids knew to say this when shopping for mum . It shows how money was short in those days doesn't it . Very few people had money to spare .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 08:55 AM

Where I lived with my Great Aunt and family Mr Bates used to come twice a week with his van of goodies (related to the late Alan Bates the actor) there was no book, we paid up front.

Once a week if we had been good we were given 3d to spend on sweeties on Mr Bates van and he used to get very impatient when we took a long time to choose .

At home with my Father and siblings, there was no 'book' either , it was a case of 'can't afford doesn't have'. Thank goodness for Dad's allotment which kept us going in the lean times.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 09:43 AM

We lived next door to a little shop and Mum had an arrangement with the lady who owned it, items such as a loaf of bread etc. Mum would then pay off the amount at the end of the week when she received her wages.

I also remember doing the weekly shop - which was easy for me, as a young child, to carry back in those days so it shows that it only covered 'essentials'. Mum would give me a little notebook with her list inside and I would give it to the lady in the Co-op (like you Artangel I remember the divi number 8117 - I can remember my Grandma's and Aunty's too due to all of the errands I used to run for them: 7533, 10997!). Anyway, the Co-op lady's name was Marie and she would whizz around the shelves at the back of the counter putting together the shopping and adding up as she went - no adding-up machine or cash register to add things up in those days.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 09:51 AM

We relied on the Provident, sad times.

(in a financial sense)
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 09:53 AM

And there's: "Put it through the books".

I think we all know what that means.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top