Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 12:42 PM

Re: Paypal scam?

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I don't have a mobile phone so that stuffs up the EU derective straight away
There's always one isn't there!

However, the second link I posted does give a way round this – email, although less secure:

"Alternatively, banks can send a one-time passcode by text or email, which must be entered online for authentication. This is less secure than push notifications because messages can be hijacked."

How about instead we all go back to 'real money' and the ways of those long ago days it seems? There were none of these problems before 'new technology' arrived!

If you had the money in you wallet or pocket you went into the establishment selling what you wished to buy, paid for it and walked out with the goods. If you didn't have the necessary money then you went without!

Look at the current 'modern problems' that would solve!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
How about instead we all go back to 'real money' and the ways of those long ago days it seems? There were none of the problems before 'new technology' arrived!

If you had the money in you wallet or pocket you went into the establishment selling what you wished to buy, paid for it and walked out with the goods. If you didn't have the necessary money then you went without!
There were always ways to pay for goods/services "on the knock" …..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
There's always one isn't there!

However, the second link I posted does give a way round this – email, although less secure:

"Alternatively, banks can send a one-time passcode by text or email, which must be entered online for authentication. This is less secure than push notifications because messages can be hijacked."

How about instead we all go back to 'real money' and the ways of those long ago days it seems? There were none of these problems before 'new technology' arrived!

Look at the current 'modern problems' that would solve!

This is true Baz, but 'real money' isn't a lot of use if you send off for something online is it.

Even when we used more 'real money', I remember till cashiers checking whether notes were counterfeit or not, so nothing is ever 100% safe.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I am reluctant to give my mobile number to anyone but with this new system there is no choice.
Easy solution. Have two phones or a dual card phone one for personal stuff and one for two step verification or phone banking. Only needs to be the cheapest phone and SIM.

China Chinese seem to always have two phones one for VPay and one for personal stuff
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Easy solution. Have two phones or a dual card phone one for personal stuff and one for two step verification or phone banking. Only needs to be the cheapest phone and SIM.

China Chinese seem to always have two phones one for VPay and one for personal stuff
that's exactly what I have done and that is why I gave Paypal my new number.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 02:48 PM

It's an easy to spot scam. It doesn't refer to you by name, usually, and it's from a distribution list with email address gathered by a third party and the <paypal@mail.paypal.co.uk> is fake as the real email address is paypal.com.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
It's an easy to spot scam. It doesn't refer to you by name, usually, and it's from a distribution list with email address gathered by a third party and the <paypal@mail.paypal.co.uk> is fake as the real email address is paypal.com.
My monthly account update is sent from "paypal@mail.paypal.co.uk" .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

Exactly Tachyon, that's what I tried to explain earlier.
Scammers will normally say something like . . "Dear Customer" or similar, they won't know your full name.

Isn't it sad when we have to be suspicious of everyone and everything nowadays though.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 05:48 PM

That email didn't use my first name whcih made me suspicious
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This is true Baz, but 'real money' isn't a lot of use if you send off for something online is it.
Read the paragraph below the one you emboldened where I mention about going back to the old ways of buying things. (That was before online ever happened.) Text repeated below for you:

"If you had the money in you wallet or pocket you went into the establishment selling what you wished to buy, paid for it and walked out with the goods. If you didn't have the necessary money then you went without!"

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Even when we used more 'real money', I remember till cashiers checking whether notes were counterfeit or not, so nothing is ever 100% safe.
No, nothing is ever 100% safe but today you would be lucky if things were 50% safe, the scammers are always one step ahead it seems.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top