Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Re: Autodidacticism

Originally Posted by Meg ->
'Horses for courses' as they say I married a man who had a brilliant mathematical mind and that is no exaggeration, not many pupils age 14 get offered a place to study at Cambridge.
On the other hand he lacked practical common sense, put a paintbrush in his hand and the end result would make any DIY minded person weep.

I haven't a brain that is wired for maths or academic study, the thought of maths makes my brain cease to function from fear but I have managed to build a 15ft kitchen from scratch (minus the electrics and plumbing) lay tile floors,tile walls, paint and paper to a high standard,cook and sew. I don't like sitting still studying anything, I am more at home in wellingtons walking the muddy fields,training dogs, pulling sheep out of hedges.

I think we need all kinds of people in this world, the academically gifted and the practical and they complement each other

Absolutely agree with that Meg.
I fully understand when you say your brain 'isn't wired that way', because I feel exactly the same.
There are many things I can't do, I cannot grasp them at all, it's like a mental block there. But I think we should be proud of the things we can do, instead of fretting about what we can't.

Years back I got my City & Guilds in Agriculture. I love and understand plants, flowers and animals and nature, and am mostly pretty good with these things, but I couldn't tell you the difference between a modem and a router to save me life. I would be a teacher's nightmare.

But I am honest, and care, and never been in trouble and that will have to carry me through without the ability to excel at maths and technology.

We need all different people and everyone brings their own special qualities into this world.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 10:53 AM

It is only the brain boxes that try to fix things that don't need fixing. Just look in the computer or photograpic world of all the upgrades on a perfectly good original product. A tradesman builds something and that is it, no need for improving a well built product
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
As some of you might recall, I make a bit of an income from private (maths) tuition. A couple of years ago this necessitated me to study Statistics up to A level standard due the new specifications, which was a branch of maths that I have avoided throughout my entire life (my own A levels, Maths degree and teaching beyond the basics in schools). In total, it's probably taken me around 15 hours of study, plus another 15 hours of thinking about things while dozing off, plus another 10 or so hours working through past paper questions. Think I could answer most problems now up to said standard apart from some nuanced/subtle ones.

With that in mind, have any of you done any "hard" studying recently beyond the usual run of the mill stuff?
I suppose mathematics, physics, and electrical engineering.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Some great comments so far

Was more focused on anything that you've done recently in terms of studying/researching.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 01:54 PM

Just the word Maths makes me panic. I've never been academic but I've done ok in life. Always worked.

I do have a poetic flair and found only recently that i have a design flair so I've put the two together and made a small business for myself.

To be honest I'd much prefer muddys art and marts ar design talents than have a mathematical mind.

It takes all sorts to make a world and i really like the variety of skills.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 01:54 PM

Some great comments so far

Was more focused on anything that you've done recently in terms of studying/researching.
Not many philomaths on the forum .....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Not many philomaths on the forum .....
Surely not true.

I mentioned maths in my op as an example. I also did a plumbing course a few years ago (a fair few weekends over the period of a couple of years), which included not only practical work but also having to study related regs. Not as easy as one might think!

The thread is not really intended as a discussion for love or hate of maths, but more about completing some form of recent "hard" studying either for the sake of the challenge, or as part of something else required within personal or professional life.

For example, I can't recall who but one member on here has recently set up an online shop selling cards that she has designed and now produces. This will have involved (on would imagine) having to struggle through we design techniques, research, trial and error etc as well as looking into legalities of setting up a business. Can't have been easy at times!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

08-08-2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Stats is too easy to be classed as maths.
If one has a natural "bent" for it, then fair enough. But not true in my case (well, initially anyway). Took me longer to overcome my fear and seemingly innate disdane for it than to actually become mildly proficient with the basics.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:12 PM

Try not to do too much hard thinking nowadays, and have great trouble applying meself, the mind tends to wander off.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:17 PM

Surely not true.

I mentioned maths in my op as an example. I also did a plumbing course a few years ago (a fair few weekends over the period of a couple of years), which included not only practical work but also having to study related regs. Not as easy as one might think!

The thread is not really intended as a discussion for love or hate of maths, but more about completing some form of recent "hard" studying either for the sake of the challenge, or as part of something else required within personal or professional life.
A philomath is a lover of learning and studying (and not just maths).

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top