Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Re: Would you bow/curtesy?

I think I would as it's tradition, I wouldn't be thinking I'm curtseying because she's any better than me though, it's just something that has been done as tradition.

I read the Queen doesn't mind if people do or don't, she doesn't 'expect' it. It's a matter of choice, I personally would choose to.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:57 PM

I have met the Queen We were told beforehand we were not expected to curtsey and no one did .
I personally think people look rediculous when they curtsey especially in short dresses .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Pulling the sides of the trousers out while bending the knees outward looks pretty silly too.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Sorry - off-topic... a bit!

Those who know me will be aware that I have a 'thing' about spelling.

Reading through this, I thought to myself, "I wonder what the correct spelling actually is", because, to be honest, I wasn't really sure.

So I had to have a look in the Oxford English Dictionary (Google being unreliable, as so much online is now American English and not Real English).

The correct spelling is: curtsy or curtsey (although this computer underlines the latter in red!)

I also read the entry: courtesy, which means deference. Not the same thing at all.

So I suppose I would use the word: curtsy, which is nice and straightforward.

Nevertheless, I would never personally curtsy, ever

because I'm not a lady. I might offer a little bow from the neck, but only to the Queen and not to any of the hangers-on!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 09:25 PM

I would find it difficult to curtsy - I think it would seem so contrived and I would feel silly. I also would probably just bob my head a little by way of acknowledgement.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Sorry - off-topic... a bit!

Those who know me will be aware that I have a 'thing' about spelling.

Reading through this, I thought to myself, "I wonder what the correct spelling actually is", because, to be honest, I wasn't really sure.

So I had to have a look in the Oxford English Dictionary (Google being unreliable, as so much online is now American English and not Real English).

The correct spelling is: curtsy or curtsey (although this computer underlines the latter in red!)

I also read the entry: courtesy, which means deference. Not the same thing at all.

So I suppose I would use the word: curtsy, which is nice and straightforward.

Nevertheless, I would never personally curtsy, ever

because I'm not a lady. I might offer a little bow from the neck, but only to the Queen and not to any of the hangers-on!
I stand corrected. To think I was top of my class at spelling too, I blame me age
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I stand corrected. To think I was top of my class at spelling too, I blame me age
Well, as I said, I wasn't sure either and had to look it up.

I only mentioned it out of courtesy.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 10:21 PM

I would probably put my back out if I tried to curtesy

I would most likely acknowledge the Queen with a delicate nod of my head and a smile.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 10:27 PM

I'd tug me forelock, if I had one!

Nope curtsy not!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 10:38 PM

I've never really thought about curtsying because I haven't done it since I was a child and I don't remember the circumstances of that now. It used to be thought cute for little girls to curtsy. But when you think about it, it's incredibly sexist and demeaning.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top