Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Re: How Ever Did We Manage To Live In A World Where The Majority Smoked?

I think I must be fortunate as I don't actually like smoking

When I was about 19 or 20 I had a cigarette sometimes to join in with friends
I would buy a packet of 20 on a Saturday, and by the next weekend there might be 4 or 5 still left in the packet
I did that for a few months; got bored with it, and decided it was a bit silly and pointless, so I just stopped

That was around the time when attitudes were changing anyway, and smoking was becoming less acceptable

As for vaping - Huh!

I agree, it's horrible when you're in the street and walk into a cloud of vapour
I don't know exactly how these things work, but people I know who do vape say there's no need to produce vast clouds of vapour & smells, it's just being bloody minded and antisocial
Yes, there will be a small amount of vapour released, but there's no need to go wandering around like a steam train
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 08:07 AM

Vaping is also inexplicable to me.
Silly kids vape instead of smoking even because they think it’s looks cool.
Why they think looking like Casey Jones without his engine looks good I can’t imagine . .
New evidence is emerging that vaping is bad for you too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 08:13 AM

I think Vaping has proved, nicotine was never really addictive, Vaping and Vapong are probably essentially the same.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Did you ever smoke,Art?

I did..I hold my head in shame....as I was a very selfish "young" smoker.....who smoked where I shouldn't have.

Luckily,no one was affected by my selfishness ..
Pauline, When l was 23 and met my husband, he smoked Gold Leaf cigarettes.
I had never smoked but when we were out socially, he started to light up two cigarettes and give me one.
I wasn’t really a smoker as l didn’t like the taste, so luckily my experience in smoking didn’t last long.

I have never smoked since and l feel his smoking in the house triggered off me getting Asthma.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:37 AM

The reason l started this thread was because in the pub the other night where we have our quiz. Only one person in the room went out in the break to have a smoke.
This started off a conversation about how it used to be in pubs before the non smoking ban, where the room would be full of smoke.
It just proved that smokers are now in the minority.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:38 AM

Hard to believe.....but in my twenties many moons ago I spent months in the heart and lung ward of a Nottingham hospital.

The girl came round in the morning with newspapers Kit Kats etc....Oh,and cigarettes.
On the bedside table next to each bed was an ashtray...As I said....hard to believe.

I asked a doctor if I should give up smoking...He said "That's up to you!" If that doctor had reacted as they would today, I would have saved a fortune.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 10:57 AM

It's hard to belive, I know, but

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Cigarette companies have known since the 1940s that cigarettes cause cancer.
Even when I was at school in the sixties were were shown black lungs .
Why young people smoke today in the face of all the evidence I don’t know.
I see them all the time even smoking over their children .

Here is a very revealing experiment showing the effect of nicotine on pigs lungs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...re-hooked.html
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 12:44 PM

I used to smoke about 40 years ago, then went cold turkey and kicked the habit. I remember it well. it was Christmas time and I had a bad cold, and if you have a cold smoking is the last thing on your mind. So I had stopped for a few days then thought to myself, hang on a minute you have packed it up for these last few days, lets see if I can do another without a fag. That is how it went on for several weeks until the only time I wanted one was after doing some hard work

It took me a total of about 3 years to get it right out of my system so I never thought about smoking. This including having what felt like the shakes across the shoulders, must have been part of the withdrawal effect

By no means is giving up smoking easy, far from it but well worth the effort. Suppose my stubborn nature helped a lot I don't know, but even someone smoking near me is really annoying now

Smog was mentioned in a previous post, oh how well do I remember that. Following the car in front rear lights and finishing up on their driveway was quite common. Hard to believe now that it was a job to even see 5 yards ahead
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I used to smoke about 40 years ago, then went cold turkey and kicked the habit. I remember it well. it was Christmas time and I had a bad cold, and if you have a cold smoking is the last thing on your mind. So I had stopped for a few days then thought to myself, hang on a minute you have packed it up for these last few days, lets see if I can do another without a fag. That is how it went on for several weeks until the only time I wanted one was after doing some hard work

It took me a total of about 3 years to get it right out of my system so I never thought about smoking. This including having what felt like the shakes across the shoulders, must have been part of the withdrawal effect

By no means is giving up smoking easy, far from it but well worth the effort. Suppose my stubborn nature helped a lot I don't know, but even someone smoking near me is really annoying now

Smog was mentioned in a previous post, oh how well do I remember that. Following the car in front rear lights and finishing up on their driveway was quite common. Hard to believe now that it was a job to even see 5 yards ahead

I can remember those days Realspeed, and l remember walking
in front of the 115 bus with a torch to show it the way from
Hackbridge to Mitcham when we had a smog!
The nasty things l recall are how some people put their dog ends
in their saucers in cafes, and how the ceilings in pubs used to drip
with nicotine if the pub was busy!
Its so nice now, and you dont even have to argue or fight with
anybody to get them to comply??
Regards Donkeyman!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top