Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 01:35 PM

Lords Reject UK Fisheries Bill

Hang on ... don't panic Mr Mainwairing

The UK Fisheries bill was rejected earlier this week at report stage as "our chums in the other place" wish to include some amendments. Nothing unusual in that, after all they are a revisory board, but our recent Brexit history has got the general public flaring their nostrils and clenching their fists at the smallest possibility of another betrayal by the over-paid, over-expensed do-nothings with big wigs.

Well, things may not be as they seem

I read the Lords amendments from the 22nd and from what I understand, the Lords actually want conservation of our fish stocks and sustainability to go even further than what the government has planned.

Apart from the many corrections to the name for the Welsh Government, here are some of the highlights

1. Favouring boats up to 10m in length
2. Increased landing in UK ports
3. Increase in number of protected zones, which I interpret as no-take zones
4. Prevention of the transfer if fishing "rights" to other parties
5. Quota allocations to be done "periodically" rather than "annually" - so it could be that we see quotas by season and a no-take period of fishing altogether
6. Sustainability to benefit future generations

... amongst other things.

I personally think this is a great step in the right direction, because, as we "take back control" of our territorial waters, it's important to get it right at the start, not through amendment after amendment and bit by bit.

I'm sure incentives such as fishing apprenticeships will become available around coastal communities soon and special arrangement for funding etc. Add to that the prospect of free-ports then I think the long decline of our coastal towns, tourism and investments in the northern coastlines into Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can at last start to grasp the low hanging fruits that were always to be had from Brexit.

Here are the amendments if you wish to read them yourselves.

https://services.parliament.uk/bills...fisheries.html
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 02:20 PM

Re: Lords Reject UK Fisheries Bill

Originally Posted by Bread ->

The UK Fisheries bill was rejected earlier this week at report stage as "our chums in the other place" wish to include some amendments. Nothing unusual in that, after all they are a revisory board, but our recent Brexit history has got the general public flaring their nostrils and clenching their fists at the smallest possibility of another betrayal by the over-paid, over-expensed do-nothings with big wigs.

I read the Lords amendments from the 22nd and from what I understand, the Lords actually want conservation of our fish stocks and sustainability to go even further than what the government has planned.

Apart from the many corrections to the name for the Welsh Government, here are some of the highlights

5. Quota allocations to be done "periodically" rather than "annually" - so it could be that we see quotas by season and a no-take period of fishing altogether

I personally think this is a great step in the right direction, because, as we "take back control" of our territorial waters, it's important to get it right at the start, not through amendment after amendment and bit by bit.

I'm sure incentives such as fishing apprenticeships will become available around coastal communities soon and special arrangement for funding etc. Add to that the prospect of free-ports then I think the long decline of our coastal towns, tourism and investments in the northern coastlines into Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can at last start to grasp the low hanging fruits that were always to be had from Brexit.

Simpel question. Suppose frost is able to close a deal with the EU on fisheries, how will it influence this bill?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Simpel question. Suppose frost is able to close a deal with the EU on fisheries, how will it influence this bill?
The fisheries bill is nothing to do with the trade deal so its irrelevant. The EU are rule takers when it comes to our territorial waters
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Thank you so much for the clarification of the report.
I normally start reading but never get further than the second paragraph because I am fast a sleep by then.

Great to see there is a strong possibility that the old stooges are finally on the people of the UK's side.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

I think "our friends in the other place" have done themselves justice for once.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

24-06-2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I think "our friends in the other place" have done themselves justice for once.

Hopefully Percy.

Banning the freezer-trawlers looks on the cards too so fingers crossed
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 07:36 PM

Are you mad Solly??
Why would we want a deal with eu??
We currently have one?
What benefits did we get from it??
Old Barney has admitted the waters are ours, therefore the ones
that need a "DEAL" are EU?? Not us!
The amendments the "LORDS" are requesting make good
enviromental sense and the only drawback there might be would
be that there would be less fish available due to sustainability
problems?
Obviously we would favour our own fishermen over the eu
plunderers in the allocation of quotas??

Donkeyman! 👍😇👍
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Obviously we would favour our own fishermen over the eu
plunderers in the allocation of quotas??

Donkeyman! 👍😇👍
Obviously. The dutch still will buy these quota from english fishermen. Like Swim said, nothing changes.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 08:30 PM

Obviously. The dutch still will buy these quota from english fishermen. Like Swim said, nothing changes.
I expect they will Solly if they want to eat them??

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

25-06-2020, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I expect they will Solly if they want to eat them??

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
They buy the quota to catch the fish....they have been doing that for decades.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top