Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 08:48 AM

No Surprise There, Then!

So, sneaky Barnier has had a king-size chip on his shoulder against Britain for the past 20 years? Time to put this French Fart back in his place. LOL, if he has been seething with revenge towards us for all that time, One can just imagine his feelings towards us at this present moment in time. :

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...son-france-spt
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 09:46 AM

Re: No Surprise There, Then!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
So, sneaky Barnier has had a king-size chip on his shoulder against Britain for the past 20 years? Time to put this French Fart back in his place. LOL, if he has been seething with revenge towards us for all that time, one can just imagine his feelings towards us at this present moment in time. :

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...son-france-spt
From an article I found it would seem this French 'dislike' of the UK goes back way beyond 20 years, in fact this seems to go back 50+ years to the days of French President Charles de Gaulle, see article on link below:

"French President Charles de Gaulle in 1963 vetoed the British application to join the European Community (EC) – the precursor of today’s European Union (EU). The British decision to leave the EU in a so-called Brexit referendum would not have surprised the great de Gaulle at all."

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blog...ole-in-europe/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 10:06 AM

Hi

Barnier does not make policy, he is doing what he is told.

The EU Negotiating Brief was agreed by the EU Heads of State.

It is Merkel and Macron who in reality are calling the shots.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 10:12 AM

He never thought that UK would fit in, because of the 'special relationship' with USA.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 10:23 AM

Morning Baz, you are quite correct about De Gaulle, If anyone had a kingsize chip on his shoulder, he led the pack!
We offered him sanctuary after his country was beaten in WW11. Once here, my understanding is that he and Churchill became great friends and planned together to form the Free French fighting forces and gain more help in North Africa.. However, once the USA joined the fray, Churchill had to turn towards joining Roosevelt more because they had more resources. Hence, DeGaulle found himself pushed down the line a little. This is probably where the resentment set in.

DeGaulle was a proud leader of a proud nation and didn't like being (in his eyes) left out of the loop. Unfortunately, the Allied powers simply didn't trust him enough to give him a seat at the big table. This was the man who let the Nazis walk into Paris within a matter of weeks.

Understandable then, (and to save face no doubt,) upon his return to France, he couldn't tell the French people quick enough how he was so badly treated by the British. The resentment by the French ever since is obvious to all.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 10:50 AM

Hi

We are where we are.

The past is long gone, it is the present which matters.

The simple fact is that our Politicians have not stepped up to the mark, they are allowing France and Germany to bully us.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

25-06-2020, 11:22 AM

I'm sorry Swims, but I don't see that at all. Cameron and May yes, but Frost is a different gameplay. I think he has done a sterling job so far and he and his team are certainly holding his own against the EU negotiating team. When I think back to that fly on the wall programme about the EU negotiating team and having to watch one smirking EU negotiater publicly state whilst laughing, that the EU had us by the throat (not in those words of course), At the time I wanted to slap him for his sheer arrogance. But all I want now is to look at his face as he realises 'Little Britain', the same litte country that the EU actually made plans back in 2011, to slice up the South of England and make a new region with a region of France and then rename them as one!! is no more the country that they were happy to make an example of to put other member states off the idea of leaving the club.

Making 'demands' is npthing new for the EU. but this time we have someone who is not going to take any C..P from them. Very proud of our team so far. Praise where praise is due.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 01:36 PM

I'm sorry Swims, but I don't see that at all. Cameron and May yes, but Frost is a different gameplay. I think he has done a sterling job so far and he and his team are certainly holding his own against the EU negotiating team. When I think back to that fly on the wall programme about the EU negotiating team and having to watch one smirking EU negotiater publicly state whilst laughing, that the EU had us by the throat (not in those words of course), At the time I wanted to slap him for his sheer arrogance. But all I want now is to look at his face as he realises 'Little Britain', the same litte country that the EU actually made plans back in 2011, to slice up the South of England and make a new region with a region of France and then rename them as one!! is no more the country that they were happy to make an example of to put other member states off the idea of leaving the club.

Making 'demands' is npthing new for the EU. but this time we have someone who is not going to take any C..P from them. Very proud of our team so far. Praise where praise is due.

I couldn't agree more SG. The EU are still digging their heels in with the demands they set out 4 years ago. So far its failed in every way, Frost is doing a great job and so is Greg Hands and Liz Truss.

If the EU want progress they need to change the atmosphere and get rid of Barnier. He already looks like a dead nan walking with his zombie mandate.

Meanwhile the USA move 9500 troops from Germany to Poland and stick Germany with a $2 Trillion Bill for unpaid NATO contributions.

Solidarity eh
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

25-06-2020, 01:59 PM

Hi

I disagree.

This is sod all to to do with Frost or Barnier.

They are both Civil Servants , obey their Political Masters.

This is simply Boris versus Macron and Merkel.

I is all down to who is best and Boris has to make good on his promise that he has an Oven Ready Brexit.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=Baz46;1923343]From an article I found it would seem this French 'dislike' of the UK goes back way beyond 20 years, in fact this seems to go back 50+ years to the days of French President Charles de Gaulle, see article on link below:QUOTE]

In November 1962,*de Gaulle*hosted then*British*prime minister Harold Macmillan, an Old Etonian with a famously Edwardian style, at the French presidential summer retreat of Rambouillet – an exquisite Renaissance chateau just outside of Paris. Macmillan was desperate to gain de Gaulle’s approval for British entry into the European Economic Community (EEC).

De Gaulle convened a shooting party for the very posh prime minister. The French president didn’t himself partake in blood sport, but loudly informed Macmillan every time he missed. “The General”, as de Gaulle is affectionately known for his role as head of the Free French during the Second World War, told his British counterpart that the UK would have to ditch its “special relationship” with the US if it was serious about joining Europe.

At one point, the General’s tough stance provoked Macmillan to burst into tears. “This poor man, to whom I had nothing to give, seemed so sad, so beaten,” de Gaulle told his cabinet. “I wanted to put my hand on his shoulder and say to him, as in the Édith Piaf song, ‘ne pleurez pas, milord’ (don’t cry, my lord)”.

De Gaulle kept Macmillan in the lurch for a while. Then he announced at a press conference in January 1963 his opposition to British entry into the EEC. He argued that the UK would want to “impose its own conditions” on what were then the bloc’s six countries. The “insular” character of the island nation across the Channel had created a politico-economic “structure” which differed “profoundly” from “that of continental Europeans”, the General postulated.

The UK “is maritime; it is bound by trade, by its markets, to the most diverse array of countries – and often the most far-flung”, he went on. “It has a lot of industry and commerce but very little agriculture – and its habits and traditions are very different.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top