Join for free
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 07:56 PM

Urban Foxes............

I live in a semi-rural area and I'm used to coming across the odd fox.

Why do people in urban areas feed them? They're opportunists and will scavenge where they can. Once in a while, there's an outcry when they overstep the mark and wander inside with occasional horrific results.

I know people who feed foxes and badgers too, but aren't they encouraging them into danger?

Gwyn
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 08:08 PM

Re: Urban Foxes............

I've got mixed thoughts about this one Gwyn.

An old friend of mine used to breed beautiful birds, but also take in injured foxes. I asked him once whether if he was worried about the foxes killing his birds, and he said he always fed the foxes, and they never touched his birds as they had already eaten.

Another friend of mine has a fox sanctuary, and she says the same.

Personally, when I had all my birds and waterfowl, foxes were a constant menace, but there again, I didn't feed them. So I really don't know the answer.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 08:14 PM

I have time for all animals, Mups, but when there's an easy meal to grab when you're hungry, then the possibility of danger disappears.

IMHO wild animals are as we label them - to be treated with respect and caution.

Gwyn
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 02:30 PM

I also live in semi-rural and we have loads of Foxes, Badgers, Deers, Squirrels etc. and at the top of my road the residents do feed the Foxes and Badgers, I have never done so, also I love seeing them, but about 4 years ago, I went to visit an elderly lady to cut up her vegs for her, I walked in and there sitting on her sofa was a Fox, just lounging around not a care in the world, she also used to feed them and take them in.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Chap in our flats has been feeding foxes for several years and they have become very brazen and won't back down even if you walk toward them. They look super fit though unlike the rather scraggy individuals I see on my morning walk and I have to say they never raid the bins or seem to bother with the birds and their food.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 06:37 PM

Here the problem is deer. We live surrounded by urban sprawl. Everywhere you turn they're cutting back what little woodlands that still exist. The deer are forced to cross highways in search of food. That means a ton of car wrecks hurting both deer and humans.

Then there are the deer that figure out how to survive. I was at a friends house awhile back. While I was unloading my car I found myself almost nose to nose with a huge female doe. It turns out she had been a neighborhood pet for almost eight years. We fed her by hand.

Other neighbors left food and water out for her as well. She had babies behind the local school. Such a beautiful girl. I'm glad everyone helps her. A problem they have in New York City...coyotes. They say their favorite food is cat...hope we never see one.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 06:41 PM

Seems a good idea to feed them from what I read here - makes sense
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by opheila ->
Here the problem is deer. We live surrounded by urban sprawl. Everywhere you turn they're cutting back what little woodlands that still exist. The deer are forced to cross highways in search of food. That means a ton of car wrecks hurting both deer and humans.
Originally Posted by opheila ->

Then there are the deer that figure out how to survive. I was at a friends house awhile back. While I was unloading my car I found myself almost nose to nose with a huge female doe. It turns out she had been a neighborhood pet for almost eight years. We fed her by hand.

Other neighbors left food and water out for her as well. She had babies behind the local school. Such a beautiful girl. I'm glad everyone helps her. A problem they have in New York City...coyotes. They say their favorite food is cat...hope we never see one.

Sounds like the problem is MAN, Opheila - more than the deer.
We keep driving animals out of their homes and habitats and then have the nerve to say 'they' are the nuisance.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 01:00 AM

Exactly, there are two nature reserves locally. The one has a habit of adding new condos on the edges every few years. Then there's the yearly deer hunt up there. Like you say, the problem isn't too many deer. It's too little woodlands.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top