Join for free
Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:04 PM

Re: Changing a wall light switch

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The following types of electrical work are non-notifiable:

Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1)
Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (2)
Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (3)
Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (4)
Work that is not in a special location (bath and shower rooms, gardens etc) and consists of:
- adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6)
- adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6)
Yes, as I said.

I think some people on here would tell you that it is illegal to change a plug!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:10 PM

..and all because the lady likes Milk Tray..
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Emerald ->
Having slept with an electrician for 43 years, I believe that I have acquired this skill by osmosis. In fact, not to be a show off, I installed a new immersion heater a couple of years ago for one of my sons and only needed help with forcing the Boss off the copper cylinder. I will point out that we built our own house and I was a fully-employed labourer and not allowed to plead being a 'lady' as an excuse. However, bear in mind that I am a fully qualified idiot.
Just as an aside, I am looking to sleep with a Joiner (carpentry skills required) a Plumber (a new ceramic washer required on the kitchen taps) and a Roofer (so I can install a dry ridge).
That's so funny - love it! When you've slept with your Joiner, Plumber and Roofer, can you pass them onto me please?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:52 PM

I had no idea so many people would be taking an interest in my little 'ole light switch!!

After a bit of thought and having seen only the first two pages of replies, I remembered that switch had been wired in by an electrician six years ago. So........I phoned the same electrician and asked him to get in touch, but the last time I called this guy it took him two weeks to return my call!
So this morning I bought two switches - a double and a single. I then unscrewed the existing sizzling switch (after turning the lights off at the mains) and took a photo!
I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to post the flipping photo.........before deciding to have a go anyway! The wiring on the switch looked a bit strange and not the same as my DIY book which showed a pretty simple blue wire/red wire, but I took the old switch off, wired the new one in and........bingo! There was light!
So thanks one and all for your advice and concerns but it's always good to try things and succeed!
If the electrician ever gets in touch, I'll explain all to him and get his okay on my wiring jobbie!
Thanks again.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 04:56 PM

Good for you Lindy
Lindyloo
isle of wight

11-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Lindyloo, it seems the general consensus on here is not to do it, I could do it as could several people on here , but I work with electricity and used to be an electrician, it all depends on how the switch was wired as there are several different ways to do it , it could be just a simple case of swapping 3 wires over ( plus linking the live to the common side of the other sw, I think you said it was a double sw) but as I said it depends on how it was wired in the first place, for what it would cost I would get a professional in for peace of mind, incidentally, you only have to get any new installation certified. ie installing a new socket that requires wiring, AFAIK you can change like for like so you can change a light sw or a socket that is already in place,
You've pretty much described how it was wired before: "linking the live to the common side of the other sw, I think you said it was a double sw"........so the blue was wired to one end, the red to the other end then linked to the other side. I bought a single switch, so just wired in the blue and red! It works!!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

11-02-2017, 05:04 PM

Good for you Lindy
Nothing gained, nothing lost. Thank you!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 06:15 PM

Well done lindyloo, see you didn't need us!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I had no idea so many people would be taking an interest in my little 'ole light switch!!

After a bit of thought and having seen only the first two pages of replies, I remembered that switch had been wired in by an electrician six years ago. So........I phoned the same electrician and asked him to get in touch, but the last time I called this guy it took him two weeks to return my call!
So this morning I bought two switches - a double and a single. I then unscrewed the existing sizzling switch (after turning the lights off at the mains) and took a photo!
I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to post the flipping photo.........before deciding to have a go anyway! The wiring on the switch looked a bit strange and not the same as my DIY book which showed a pretty simple blue wire/red wire, but I took the old switch off, wired the new one in and........bingo! There was light!
So thanks one and all for your advice and concerns but it's always good to try things and succeed!
If the electrician ever gets in touch, I'll explain all to him and get his okay on my wiring jobbie!
Thanks again.
Well done. You know you could have completed an electrician course before he turns up. Bloody Sparks.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2017, 07:17 PM

Wouldn't you have preferred to have a trade?

I'm gonna flush you out Judd.

Page 5 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top