Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Cat on a leash?

I found this interesting but not sure I'd try it with Tippy. Has anyone trained their cat to walk on a leash?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Re: Cat on a leash?

Nobody can train a cat to do anything it doesn't want to do. One of my cats regularly came for walks with me, even following me to work on occasion, so I thought I'd try her on a lead, but she refused to budge. I took it off again and she followed me.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 09:16 PM

Eileen had trained all her previous cats to walk on a lead, unfortunately Leia is afraid of the outside world and didn't take to it at all.

I used a harness on my previous cat when he was recovering from a broken pelvis. I used to take him out in the garden but had to make sure he didn't jump up anywhere so a harness was the best way to do it. He obviously pulled for the first few times but soon got to realise if he had the harness on he would be allowed outdoors for a while
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

The cat on the video (link in my first post) seems to be fine with it and was trained as an adult. I think starting with a kitten might be easier. We're on such a busy street that there's no way Tippy will be allowed out.

My previous cat, Emily, was an indoor/outdoor cat when I lived in a quiet cat-friendly neighbourhood but she never went far from our yard.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 10:47 PM

I had a cat that used to walk on a harness and lead and used to come in the car with us she used to sit in the back window of the car but unfortunatley where we lived was very quiet and when I split up with my first husband she went to live with my sister who lived on a busy road and she didn't really have any respect for cars ie no fear and she was killed on the road she was an amazing cat ....Oh and my friend had a pony who used to get in the back of a transit van (in the 60s) his head used to be in the front between her Dad and whoever was in the front we used to get some very strange looks as we were travelling along we used to go to Hunt Meets and we would earn money by betting people 10/- that we could get him in the back of the van which most people thought impossible but good old Duke straight in he would pop...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2012, 12:10 AM

I bet that was an amazing sight, Sue!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Suey, that is a brilliant story about Duke. I would love to have seen that
As for the cat harness, if I attempted to put one on Sparky I'd end up in A&E!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2012, 09:42 PM

I am not sure (perhaps someone with more cat knowledge can confirm) but I think Siamese cats are quite easy to get to walk out on a lead.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I am not sure (perhaps someone with more cat knowledge can confirm) but I think Siamese cats are quite easy to get to walk out on a lead.
I'm not sure about walking a Siamese cat on a lead but I have a friend who has trained his Siamese cat to chase a small ball of tin foil and retrieve it, just like a dog would do.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

15-01-2012, 12:15 PM

I know this is a change of pet but I've seen someone walking their parrot on a lead along the seafront!
They were attracting a lot of attention too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top