Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 01:41 AM

Accents

Did anybody watch Tonight on ITV tonight? It was about regional accents and the stigma and snobbery that is still attached to dialect throughout the length and breadth of the UK.

Without anyone being offensive to others, are there any accents you don't like? Personally, there are some I find difficulty in understanding if they speak too quickly, e.g Scottish or Welsh, but I'm talking about British accents here.

Can anyone supply an example of the accent generally used in their home towns?

I'm from Wigan in Lancashire, but I don't speak with a Wigan accent. Not from snobbery as I absolutely adore the accent and I've based my poems and stories on it, but because I've lived in different places and my accent has changed, although if I think about it, I can go back to my natural dialect.

It is an interesting concept how our language is changing all the time. I found the programme fascinating, but it wasn't long enough.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 05:19 AM

Re: Accents

I half-watched the program Mollie (I was messing about on my computer at the same time). I have observed accents becoming less noticeable in my time.........we are gradually all levelling out I imagine. To answer your question, the Brum accent is the one I dislike the most.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 06:45 AM

Love all regional accents - we would be dull without them - hope they never fade out ....
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 07:21 AM

Alan, I dislike the Bummie accent too - and I come from there! It makes people sound stupid - which is interesting as on TV they said Liverpool accents had the same effect on most people. I reckon that's why the Peaky Blinder lead actor hasn't attempted Brummie as anyone in TV dramas with an authentic Birmingham accent is usually cast in comic roles.

The accent I really can't stand is the Black Country one, which people usually confuse with Birmingham.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 07:27 AM

I'm from Birmingham and I do not sound Stupid, do I?.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 07:58 AM

As you all know I live in the South. Many years ago we had a town Coucillor here, who although he had lived here many years himself, he was a Geordie, and had a very broad Geordie accent. Very few, Dragon included, could understand a word he said, but he was a lovely man.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 08:31 AM

I have'nt an accent..................northern people speak funny though, any place north of Salisbury.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I have'nt an accent..................northern people speak funny though, any place north of Salisbury.

Robert matey - people who live north of Watford Gap are foreigners!!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 09:29 AM

I like my friend's scottish accent (Wester Ross), and I like to hear a Yorkshire accent, or Norfolk or Somerset. Not keen on Brummie or Liverpool.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 09:36 AM

I love the diversity of accents. It makes people more real, somehow. Would hate it if everyone spoke "Queen's English".

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top