Join for free
Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 05:24 AM

Re: Some of my dogs

Can I ask Mups...you obviously really loved your German Shepherd's....what made you change breeds?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 08:43 AM

I have really enjoyed looking at these pictures Mups
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Can I ask Mups...you obviously really loved your German Shepherd's....what made you change breeds?
Summer, I know Mups is looking after one of her dogs that is poorly, so she may not see your question....but she has explained before......

Briefly, when one of her German Shepherds was ill & she had to lift him into the car, she realized that they were probably going to be too big ( Mups is only small) if this happened again. I don't think she ever wanted to be without her Shepherds!
She looks after her dogs really well.... but I am sure that most of us would be unable to lift such big dogs into a car, if we needed to!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->

Sorry for the delay Summer, but young Gertie has been poorly since Saturday, and so I have needed to do a lot for her.
Thankfully she seems better now, after having Bed & Breakfast at the vets Saturday night, home Sunday, then back again on Monday.
Yesterday she had a treatment with my Chiropractor and fingers crossed I do believe we've cracked it now.

I see Twink has answered your question Summer, and it is partly correct.
I had Shepherds for about 30 years or so, and twice I had a dog collapse on me.

Biff collapsed in my kitchen on the day he died, I was frantically trying to lift him, but couldn't.
Douglas collapsed once when we were across the fields miles away from where I'd left the car.
Doug (the big black one) was over 7st. and I couldn't get him up off the ground, then carry him all across the fields back to the car to get help. It made me feel so helpless and useless.
So those two instances made me think about the future as I got older.

The second reason I changed breed is more personal.
I won't go into it too deep, but I loved them too much (if that's possible), and it affected me deeply each time I lost one.
If I exlained properly, it would sound too emotional and mushy to anyone else, but all I will say is no matter how many I lost over the years, it never got any easier to accept a death, and I finally decided I could not do this any more. No more Shepherds, Beefy would be my last.

However, I knew I could never be alone and dog-less, so decided to change breeds instead, and find something smaller. I actually began making the transition to another breed while I still had Biff, but he was getting on a bit when Mups arrived.

As retirement was looming, and I would no longer have my monthly pay cheque, it seemed sensible to have a smaller dog, smaller food bills - even smaller vet bills - and one I could always carry in an emergency.

I was very aware of the many health problems in most breeds, so did lots of research, and finally decided upon my first ever Bedlington.
Biff adored her and treated her like she was made of fine, delicate porcelain! She used to sleep curled up in his long belly hair when he layed down.

As time went on, I found I liked the Beddies, very different to anything I'd ever had before, and I guess it just kinda progresssed from there.

Another heartache with the bigger breeds, is they are normally shorter lived than smaller dogs.
On average, the bigger the breed, the shorter the lifespan.
With these little rat-bags I have now, and a bit of luck, these will see me out!

I still love the GSD's, always will, but it would not be wise to have another now, and I wouldn't be able to give them the exercise and training that they need.

Sorry for such a long post.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 03:37 PM

What a wonderful post Mups, thanks for sharing that with us.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
What a wonderful post Mups, thanks for sharing that with us.

Thank you honeybun. x

I have some more photo's I will put up when I get time.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Douglas collapsed once when we were across the fields miles away from where I'd left the car.
Doug (the big black one) was over 7st. and I couldn't get him up off the ground, then carry him all across the fields back to the car to get help. It made me feel so helpless and useless.
Know the feeling - 7st is about 44kg - a big fellow. Ours is a bit smaller at around 40kg. Trying to lift him in out of the bath is nigh on impossible so he now goes to a professional groomer.

Hope Gertie is better now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-07-2019, 03:55 PM

This is a very old picture now, I've still got dark hair!

The sheep is my 'Penny'. I reared her as she had lost her Mum at birth. She was such a character, and would jump in my old van and come out with me and the dogs for a run.

The dog, Shep, was a smashing fella who I managed to get out of the hands of an ignorant swine who was going to take him up the field and shoot him!
Shep was only about 4 months old at the time.
He had been kicked about by this man, who also told his kids to do the same!!
Needless to say, he didn't trust people any more.
Any sudden hand, or leg movement and he would either run away, or snap.

I couldn't leave him in such a place, so told the bloke I would take him off his hands. He seemed glad to see the back of him, and handed him over to me that night.

I remember trying to invent a decent porkie to tell my hubby at the time, on why I had brought another dog home - we already had two.

It took months of hard work to gain Shep's trust, but one day when I was sitting down, he came of his own accord and sat and leaned against my leg. I daren't reach out, as I didn't want him scuttling off again, so I just spoke soothingly to him instead.
Next thing he turned, and rested his chin on my knee and gazed at me, all fear gone from his eyes at last.
I finally knew I'd cracked it at long last.

His training began, he loved every minute of it and excelled at Retrieve. He was so happy doing things together, I even began entering him in obedience competitions and he either won, or came within the first three every time.

Shep slept next on the floor next to my bed for the next 14 years, until the inevitable, but at least he had a good life until then.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-07-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Know the feeling - 7st is about 44kg - a big fellow. Ours is a bit smaller at around 40kg. Trying to lift him in out of the bath is nigh on impossible so he now goes to a professional groomer.

Hope Gertie is better now.

Thanks very much Besoeker.
Gertie seems back to her old mischievious self now, so let's hope it lasts.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry for the delay Summer, but young Gertie has been poorly since Saturday, and so I have needed to do a lot for her.
Thankfully she seems better now, after having Bed & Breakfast at the vets Saturday night, home Sunday, then back again on Monday.
Yesterday she had a treatment with my Chiropractor and fingers crossed I do believe we've cracked it now.

I see Twink has answered your question Summer, and it is partly correct.
I had Shepherds for about 30 years or so, and twice I had a dog collapse on me.

Biff collapsed in my kitchen on the day he died, I was frantically trying to lift him, but couldn't.
So those two instances made me think about the future as I got older.

The second reason I changed breed is more personal.
I won't go into it too deep, but I loved them too much (if that's possible), and it affected me deeply each time I lost one.
If I exlained properly, it would sound too emotional and mushy to anyone else, but all I will say is no matter how many I lost over the years, it never got any easier to accept a death, and I finally decided I could not do this any more. No more Shepherds, Beefy would be my last.

However, I knew I could never be alone and dog-less, so decided to change breeds instead, and find something smaller. I actually began making the transition to another breed while I still had Biff, but he was getting on a bit when Mups arrived.

As retirement was looming, and I would no longer have my monthly pay cheque, it seemed sensible to have a smaller dog, smaller food bills - even smaller vet bills - and one I could always carry in an emergency.

I was very aware of the many health problems in most breeds, so did lots of research, and finally decided upon my first ever Bedlington.
Biff adored her and treated her like she was made of fine, delicate porcelain! She used to sleep curled up in his long belly hair when he layed down.

As time went on, I found I liked the Beddies, very different to anything I'd ever had before, and I guess it just kinda progresssed from there.

Another heartache with the bigger breeds, is they are normally shorter lived than smaller dogs.
On average, the bigger the breed, the shorter the lifespan.
With these little rat-bags I have now, and a bit of luck, these will see me out!

I still love the GSD's, always will, but it would not be wise to have another now, and I wouldn't be able to give them the exercise and training that they need.

Sorry for such a long post.
Thank you for the reply Mups....yes I can see why you changed breeds it's so sad when we lose loved pets I know that from my own experience.....I'm not an expert on dogs but since you have chatted about your Beddies I have taken more notice, l even chatted to one the other day

Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top