Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Re: Disability Welfare Benefits for those over 65

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Joe, I had to find out certain things during the witch hunt on the disabled as my brother was due for an interview at the time.

What I found puzzling is that if someone working, and then claim to be disabled, they could claim for many things such as car tax paid for by gov't, the choice of a top of the range new car every three or four years, paid for by a small reduction from their disability allowance, and many other benefits. Whereas if one tried claiming at the age of 65 plus, all one could apply for was "Attendance Allowance" either the lower rate or if lucky, the higher rate which I believe at the time was around £83.Over 65's are not allowed to claim for car tax or a car paid for by a reduction in Attendance Allowance. I'm sure AA must be a godsend to many pensioners trying to exist on a basic state pension, but why such a seriously underpayment compared to disabled working age. Why is this? Surely those that have reached 65 plus are as entitled to receive the same as those working-age?

You usually know Joe, is this correct? or am I talking through my hat?

I just find it so strange (and rather unfair) that there is such a discrepancy between the two, and do they explain why?

'Fraid so darlin' - talking through your hat - the Motobility scheme is only applicable to those who are entitled to the higher rate of the Mobility component of (what was DLA) and is now PIP. In order to receive Motobility, your claim for PIP must be for a period of more than 3 years, and no you don't have to give a portion of your PIP, you give it ALL UP.

As to why PIP is not available to those over pension age, unless you claimed it before your 65th birthday, that is a question you need to direct to Amber Rudd, the scumbag 'nasty party' Secretary of State for Social Security.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Also pensioners don't get free dental care so my dentist informed me.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Had my PIP assessment this morning. Very pleasant nurse lady did it. It was nowhere near as scary as I have heard about.
She did want to know the ins and outs of a cat's *ss, asked some embarrassing questions and some very odd questions, which didn't seem at all relevant.
I was kept waiting for half an hour, then the assessment lasted an hour. My daughter taped the whole thing just in case I have to appeal. I think as long as you tell the truth it's ok.
She did say that some folk were getting awarded automatically for illnesses that didn't really affect their every lives so it wasn't fair, especially on those who have "hidden" illnesses that make life difficult.
If I don't get it I will appeal.
She was happy to tell me what she wrote about me but she doesn't make the decisions.
Keeping everything crossed...
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Also pensioners don't get free dental care so my dentist informed me.
You do get free dental treatment if you are in receipt of Guarateed Pension Credit .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Had my PIP assessment this morning. Very pleasant nurse lady did it. It was nowhere near as scary as I have heard about.
She did want to know the ins and outs of a cat's *ss, asked some embarrassing questions and some very odd questions, which didn't seem at all relevant.
I was kept waiting for half an hour, then the assessment lasted an hour. My daughter taped the whole thing just in case I have to appeal. I think as long as you tell the truth it's ok.
She did say that some folk were getting awarded automatically for illnesses that didn't really affect their every lives so it wasn't fair, especially on those who have "hidden" illnesses that make life difficult.
If I don't get it I will appeal.
She was happy to tell me what she wrote about me but she doesn't make the decisions.
Keeping everything crossed...
Never be impressed or taken in by any pleasantness from these assessors altho if she read out to you what she was going to say about you that sounds encouraging .
Lots of people tell the truth ,they simply don’t get awarded the neccesary ponts by the assessor based on the odd questions asked of you . It’s heartbreaking for some if they get turned down who put complete trust in them .
Yes it’s about how the illness / disability affects your life , not the actual illness / disability .
Good luck !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

28-06-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
You do get free dental treatment if you are in receipt of Guarateed Pension Credit .
I have to phone the Pension Credit people at the end of July when I get told my pension amount (due November) apparently to find out if I qualify.
I never knew you had to apply for your pension, I found out by accident.
All those folk who don't apply for Pension Credit because they feel they don't want to are losing a lot if they have to pay the dentist.
My dentist said I will need a lot of intensive treatment because of bone loss under one of my crowns, that could be unaffordable!
I don't know why they keep checking on it and not doing anything unless they are hoping to save the NHS money.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 02:39 PM

Hi

The system is easily abused by the clever ones, if you are genuine or have mental health difficulties it is a nightmare.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

28-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
She will be the one who advises the DWP decision maker tho !
Never be impressed or taken in by any pleasantness from these assessors . Lots of people tell the truth ,they simply don’t get awarded the neccesary ponts by the assessor based on the odd questions asked of you . It’s heartbreaking for some if they get turned down who put complete trust in them .
Yes it’s about how the illness / disability affects your life , not the actual illness / disability .
Good luck !
Thanks!
I have the tape and all my doctor's notes ready in case I need to appeal, it' s stress I could do without, but there we go!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

28-06-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The system is easily abused by the clever ones, if you are genuine or have mental health difficulties it is a nightmare.
One thing that struck me Swims was the scant questions relating to Mental Health.

I've heard from folk in a support group that assessors judge them fit if they make eye contact or don't appear distressed.
I think they need a different set of questions for those with MH illnesses.

One if the questions I had to answer was who was responsible for my pets another was what photographs I take.
I suppose if I took photos of views it would mean I was able to get places.
Not sure about the pets though unless they count undoing a sachet of food as being able to prepare a meal.
Zuleika
North West UK

28-06-2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am no fan of the DWP but I disagree with you it isn’t “easily “ abused now . This is something put about to stir up public unrest against claimants .
The mental health difficulties are now better looked at than several years ago although you really must have lots of documentation to put forward with a claim so in reality those out to abuse will not have it will they?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top