Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Re: Kindle recommendations wanted

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Judd that looks interesting. Do you load them onto your Kindle? I'm just getting used to WIN 10 so I'm not sure what it can do at the moment.

Would be nice to filter out all the trashy ' I slept with the billionaire's butler' type books.
I download them on to my PC then copy them across by plugging the Kindle into the PC. The Kindle then shows up as an external drive with a documents folder. Just copy the downloaded book (EPUB) into that folder. Simples (as they say)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I download them on to my PC then copy them across by plugging the Kindle into the PC. The Kindle then shows up as an external drive with a documents folder. Just copy the downloaded book (EPUB) into that folder. Simples (as they say)
Ooh Ok. Might venture into that one day.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 06:56 PM

That's very interesting. Can I put music on it? Sometimes in PDF, sometimes not.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
That's very interesting. Can I put music on it? Sometimes in PDF, sometimes not.
In theory you can but in MP3 format, not PDF as PDF is essentially a text format.

Plug your Kindle into your PC and then look for a Music folder. Copy your MP3s into there (they won't play otherwise) and then use the music player program on the device.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 09:41 PM

In theory you can but in MP3 format, not PDF as PDF is essentially a text format.

Plug your Kindle into your PC and then look for a Music folder. Copy your MP3s into there (they won't play otherwise) and then use the music player program on the device.
It looks like this kindle will be used for more than reading..........but what I meant was - can I put sheet music on it? I sing with a choir and am have to learn about 28 songs, twice a year - that's a lot of paper! If I could put the sheet music into the kindle, I could use that instead of printing out.
Then.........I'd also like to put the recordings - some from mobile phones, some from MP3's - and have a song list - which I use to practice. I currently use Windows Media Player and burn onto CD's.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

07-06-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
It looks like this kindle will be used for more than reading..........but what I meant was - can I put sheet music on it? I sing with a choir and am have to learn about 28 songs, twice a year - that's a lot of paper! If I could put the sheet music into the kindle, I could use that instead of printing out.
Then.........I'd also like to put the recordings - some from mobile phones, some from MP3's - and have a song list - which I use to practice. I currently use Windows Media Player and burn onto CD's.
If you install a program called BullZip onto your PC it will install itself as a PDF printer so then anything sent to this printer will be converted to PDF format (I use it to send test sheets and electrical reports via email). All you need to do is type out your songs using Word or Notepad or your preferred text editor and then print them to BullZip. It will save the file(s) to your PC then you can copy them to your Kindle via the USB cable.

http://www.bullzip.com/
Lindyloo
isle of wight

07-06-2019, 09:54 PM

If you install a program called BullZip onto your PC it will install itself as a PDF printer so then anything sent to this printer will be converted to PDF format (I use it to send test sheets and electrical reports via email). All you need to do is type out your songs using Word or Notepad or your preferred text edit and then print them to BullZip. It will save the file(s) to your PC then you can copy them to your Kindle via the USB cable.

Brilliant! I'll be back in touch when I get the kindle!! Thanks very much.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 02:03 AM

If you install a program called BullZip onto your PC it will install itself as a PDF printer so then anything sent to this printer will be converted to PDF format (I use it to send test sheets and electrical reports via email). All you need to do is type out your songs using Word or Notepad or your preferred text editor and then print them to BullZip. It will save the file(s) to your PC then you can copy them to your Kindle via the USB cable.

This is a bit of a clunky way of doing it. PDFs are by their very nature far bigger than most ebook formats.

If you are going to type the songs into Word anyway why not get a plug in that converts the text to EPUB format?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/wo...ot:overviewtab

If that link doesn't work then just put "word to epub converter software" into Google.

BTW Epub is just a zipped version of an HTML file so you could make EPUB files manually if you want by saving a Word file as HTML then zip it up and change the extension to .epub.

https://www.kotobee.com/blog/edit-epub-books-manually/

The program I mentioned earlier Calibre does all this conversion for you

https://calibre-ebook.com/
Lindyloo
isle of wight

08-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Thanks very much. Most of the music is sent to me in PDF anyway, but there are some word documents too. I'll be back in touch.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 04:33 PM

I will reiterate what Bruce says there.

Kindles are NOT good with PDF files. They don't read well and often don't page break where you want them.

I will also, again, counsel against a Kindle. Do your research because there are lots of testimonies out there saying that the more recent iterations of Kindles simply don't last. The original Kindles were great (though ultimately packed in) but the newer Kindles are apparently really poor. If you opt for one you may well be back here in just 1 year's time telling us you're in the market for another new eReader.

Caveat Emptor

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top