Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 09:01 AM

Dog breeding

With so many unwanted dogs in dog sanctuaries what are your veiws on breeding dogs ?

So many people want breed puppies .

The dog breeding industry is huge dogs are even imported from Romania and other east European countries .

Although I understand the desire and delights of a puppy I feel this is wrong .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Re: Dog breeding

I am not against animal breeding per se because they charge and people value something they pay for whereas a free animal is just as easily discarded because it has no value.

However puppy farming is quite another matter.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not against animal breeding per se because they charge and people value something they pay for whereas a free animal is just as easily discarded because it has no value.

However puppy farming is quite another matter.
They pay for puppies from puppy farms too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 11:48 AM

I am not sure I disagree with breeding altogether Muddy, it is the amount of irresponsible breeding I strongly disagree with. The ones who mate their bitches every season and churn puppies out like sausages that I despise.
The ones who force unhealthy, run down bitches to have litters repeatedly.

For example, there was a woman in the village I used to live in, who did this, but I didn't know at the time.
She came to me day and asked if she could use my all black GSD for stud.
( 'Douglas' is in my albums somewhere).
I asked to see her dog's paperwork first, then checked the bitch had passed relevant health tests and had been hip x-rayed.
Everything seemed alright, so we went ahead with the mating.
I asked if I could see the puppies once their eyes were open and they could stand up, which I did. There were 6 born.

In those days, I used to have the Kennel Gazette and it printed all the latest litters recorded.
The litter my dog had sired was KC recorded as a litter of 9, which of course wasn't true.

To try and shorten this a bit, it turned out this disgusting, dishonest woman was KC recording 'fictitious' puppies in order to get spare registration certificates, and then using this spare paperwork for other pups that were from totally unregistered stock, and nothing to do with my dog's progeny whatsoever.
I was furious.
My dogs had a good name, and I was always very selective and totally honest, so to discover that someone was using my good name on strange, unhealthy pups was bad news indeed.

I then found out she had several Goldies she was breeding from, more Shepherds, and another breed which I can't remember now, so you can imagine how much fairytale paperwork she was getting if she did fiddled the time every time. She was also breeding those Rag Doll cats.

She also had an accomplice down South somewhere, that was getting dogs from the local pound, then sending them up to this woman, who then sold them on for treble the price because they appeared to have good breeding and suddenly had the KC papers to go with them!

She forced her dogs to mate every single season, even though the KC tried to stop this by refusing to register puppies from these multiple litters. But this woman could mate her dogs to death every season and the KC never knew, because she had stacks of false papers of her own all ready to use.

Needless to say, I reported her.

We all know this sort of thing happens every day to these wretched puppy farm dogs. They have a life of hell, never seeing sunshine and used only as breeding machines.

So in answer to your question, I said how I detest some breeders, the unscrupulous or ignorant ones who don't care tuppence for their dogs, but I do not entirely disagree with responsible breeding - big difference.

The KC have tightened things up a lot now, loads of new regs, but they can't come out and inspect every litter born, so still don't know how many are really in a litter.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
They pay for puppies from puppy farms too.
So what? then at least the puppy is then valued, the problem with puppy farms is the conditions the animals are kept in which is often appalling.

I would say breeders of pedigree animals care for their pets (because that is usually what they are) and breed responsibly (though there are bad apples everywhere)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 01:35 PM

So what? then at least the puppy is then valued, the problem with puppy farms is the conditions the animals are kept in which is often appalling.

I would say breeders of pedigree animals care for their pets (because that is usually what they are) and breed responsibly (though there are bad apples everywhere)

Sorry Bruce, can't agree with some of that at all.
Maybe it's different is Oz-land, I don't know?

You say "at least the puppy is valued", but by whom do you mean? If a buyer pays, do you mean they value it more, or did you mean the seller values the pup?

It is also not just the appalling conditions these animals are kept in either, it also unhealthy animals are bred from, with forged paperwork. And what about their emotional state? You can't see those 'wounds' as easily.

Most of them are afraid of humans, they are cowering wrecks who have never known love and affection. The only love they might feel is for their puppies - which are swiftly taken from them far too young, so that the mother stops lactating and comes back into season quicker for the whole process to start over again.

I also can't agree that all pedigree breeders/owners care for their pets either.
In my experience, many of the show people used to be the worst culprits for bad inbreeding and high prices. I have always said they care too much about winning rosettes and prestige in the show ring, than anything else.

I was speaking to another one not long ago, who's had a litter, and the way they discard beautiful innocent pups simply because they have a tail half inch too long, or a white patch where it shouldn't be, or a slightly lighter/darker eye colour than the breed standards say it should be, etc, is totally heartless IMO.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 03:34 PM

We are looking into buying a dog right at this moment so have been doing lots of research, trying our best not to end up at a puppy farm. It would be great to re-home a dog but firstly we could never get the breed we want and secondly, they might have behaviour problems which would not necessarily fit in with our two existing cats. Although I am looking forward to getting another dog (I would love a Staffie) I have to think of my cats too, I don't want to disrupt their lives. Obviously a Staffie would not be appropriate in this case.

The trouble with puppy farms is that people feel so sorry for the pups that they buy them anyway but that just keeps the business going for longer. They need to be reported so that they are shut down but it is an ongoing battle sadly.

It's a shame it has come to this but because of the high prices involved, it has attracted the wrong kind of people but with a bit of research, you can find out who they are.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 04:12 PM

It is the back street breeders that cause problems, proper recognised breeders don't.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 04:38 PM

Free it is not. You have to pay to have a dog chipped, tagged and his round of shots. We paid about £150. Then, as a responsible owner, you need to cover ongoing veterinary care.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

05-06-2019, 05:41 PM

I paid £200 for my rescue collie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top