Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Private Number Plates

I saw a private number plate today on a car and I got to wondering why people do that?

Is it an ego thing or something else I don't know about?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Re: Private Number Plates

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I saw a private number plate today on a car and I got to wondering why people do that?

Is it an ego thing or something else I don't know about?
It's really just a way of personalising you car and yes, a bit of an ego thing i suppose. I think it is dying out a bit now due to high prices. years ago it was possible to find a suitable registration easily and for not much money but the DVLA cottoned onto it and that's why you rarely see any useful names on current cars. You can of course buy them from the DVLA

You used to get prefixes such as KEV or JON, things like that but DVLA has made sure you have to pay now.

Never had one myself although I did see my surname being driven in front once.

I have seen RR1 which must be one of the most expensive .

One of the cleverest ones was A5NEM..... which when viewed in the rear view mirror spells MENSA. I'm not even sure the owner was aware of that tbh.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 10:48 AM

I have a private number plate B3 DOG. Why Because of my name Barry we at the time had 3 dogs and people recognised it from belonging to our kennels. So it had many reasons to get it. Apart from that it has increase in value way above what I paid for it
Easy to remember, not one of these new plates which are mean nothing. You even have to work out which year it is for, I have yet to fathom that out
If my memory serves me correctly this subject arose some years ago
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:09 AM

I don't have a personal number plate. Probably I would as these are so individual by their very nature but the cost of these are now just too high to afford.

Usually though personalised number plates are a far better investment than the car to which they are attached, that's for sure!

My present five-year-old car bought new has so far depreciated at over £46 a week, no personalised number plate would ever depreciate by this amount. All this is thanks to big manufacturers falsifying emission results and others deciding, after conning us into buying diesels, that they are no longer the cars to buy!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:09 AM

I had the chance to by a vehicle with the reg plate reading my initial and surname, it now being used on an Audi somewhere. I can't see the sense in the plates that in their own right make no sense, then, on the bottom of the plate is printed what its supposed to mean.

I once saw a Merc Convertible with the reg 1 ACT.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:20 AM

It’s not a new thing but it is an expensive thing to get done and a personal choice just like everything else in life. I have regular ordinary plates.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Registration F1 was up for sale for an asking price of £14 million last year having been bought for £375000 from Essex council who had owned it for 104 years.

There used to be a Triumph Spitfire in Cardiff reg ANY 14T.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:32 AM

My Daughter has a personal number plate, she bought it really cheaply when she first learnt to drive, it's been on various cars but it's now on our van, because she'll never sell that, well, not until it needs scrapping any way.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:36 AM

My grandson, a keen Liverpool FC fan, has a number plate starting with LFC. Can't think why.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ez rider ->
my grandson, a keen liverpool fc fan, has a number plate starting with lfc. Can't think why.
lfc 0?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top