Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Re: Making Garden Art.

I like to see garden art but prefer that it is made of natural material like wood or willow.

My garden is small so wouldn't take anything large but I would like something like this ...

and would like to try making somthing.

I do have a dead cherry tree with the branches cut off, which is a form of garden art for me. Stripped ivy makes interesting patterns on the trunk ...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010044 x2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	9899  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
All done LD hope there are not to many I think now I have sussed it out I may have got carried away a little bit..
They are brilliant Longfella. Another hidden talent we knew nothing about. They are very professional looking. The butterflies etc, do you make them from modelling clay?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Really enjoyed that and the music Mups thank you gives me new idea's and something new to think about.

Glad you liked it. You could make two in the image of you and your missus, and sit them together on a little bench or box somewhere.

I like what you are making, all those wing markings takes patience.
Well done you for managing to post the pictures.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I like to see garden art but prefer that it is made of natural material like wood or willow.

My garden is small so wouldn't take anything large but I would like something like this ...

I do have a dead cherry tree with the branches cut off, which is a form of garden art for me. Stripped ivy makes interesting patterns on the trunk ...
I also like the natural art. i love those horse sculptures made from drift wood. i think they are beautiful but wouldn't know where to start.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hiya bigfella, I like to see colour too. I like how colour effects us too.
It can be vibrant, soothing, relaxing, cheerful, healing, . . . lots of things.

I had an idea for your spare pots too, if I may make a suggestion?

I found the music on this video a little irritating, but you will still get the idea anyway.
If you like paints, you could paint all different faces on them too.
Have a look, but let me know if the link doesn't work:

http://www.layoftheland.co.uk/make-flower-pot-people/
I seem to remember someone on here making those some time ago.Can't remember who though.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Great works Meg I also love wood carvings although I have never actually tried to make anything.

When I was a kid 10 to 14 years old we had a class in craft's once a week and it was making things with reed's. They would be soaked in the old marble horse trough outside the class room so they were flexible in the winter we had to break through the ice to get at them.
We would learn how to make things like baskets and bowls and other things like rabbits and foxes and the like. We could also volunteer for evening class's as well which I did to get me out of the recreation room for 2/3 hours, and dodge any punishments that were given out by certain teachers.
I found them brilliant class's so it was a win win for me.
I can probably still knock up the baskets and bowls but the rabbits and other animals I reckon I would struggle with them.
It was good in those days you had a class on woodwork/brickwork/metalwork even learnt how to make soft toys at one point in the evenings.
They were sent to a local charity at the time in Stanhope and they either took them to the kids in hospitals or sold them.
Today kids are not allowed to learn these things.
Such a pity.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
They are brilliant Longfella. Another hidden talent we knew nothing about. They are very professional looking. The butterflies etc, do you make them from modelling clay?
Plaster of Paris LD.
Mix and pour into the jelly or cake moulds.
To buy proper garden mould's it can turn out very expensive.
So I just use baking moulds and they last forever and are a dam sight cheaper.
Don't forget a small piece of wire from what you use holding plants up on the sticks.
Push the wire into the plaster straight after it has been poured and that is the hook you need to hang the models on the walls or fences.
Cheap as chips as that antique tango man used to say..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Love all of it!
I made some things out of old clock springs and barrel rings. I like rusty old junk and natural.
There's a Garden Junk Art group on FB which has lovely ideas, also a Gardening on a Budget one.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 11:22 AM

Love seeing the pics of your garden, LF. The second one is lovely.
Quite time consuming looking after plants in pots, that why my hanging baskets are seldom successful as others.
Stopped doing those now.
Yes, got stuck in a bit, yesterday, will do lawn today (or half of it ,I think) if it's dried out enough. At least the sun is shining in between the clouds.

Those plaster of paris models would be great for the children to make. We had boxed kits as children. Great for a wet afternoon.

Do you grow veg too ?
longfellow
Chatterbox

18-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Love seeing the pics of your garden, LF. The second one is lovely.
Quite time consuming looking after plants in pots, that why my hanging baskets are seldom successful as others.
Stopped doing those now.
Yes, got stuck in a bit, yesterday, will do lawn today (or half of it ,I think) if it's dried out enough. At least the sun is shining in between the clouds.

Those plaster of paris models would be great for the children to make. We had boxed kits as children. Great for a wet afternoon.

Do you grow veg too ?
Nope no veg PD, I am afraid it really is to small for anything apart from pots. Its great for maintaining when I first moved it it was the first thing I changed bending over digging weeds out and dead stuff was no good for the breathing. So I made some planters raised the beds and had the block paving done with the conservatory.The conservatory took up a big chunk of space but well worth it.
Trouble was as friends and family came to visit I ended up wasting so much of my time making planters for them all only spending a small amount of time making anything in the garden. Cost me a small fortune in wood.
I did spend one late summer and winter making models of bears and ducks and butterfly's and other small animals . I painted them and glittered quite a few of them because Christmas was upon us and I gave 3 boxes to the local hospice St Lukes in Basildon. They could either sell them or use them some other way. Never got a call for anymore guess they never wanted anymore and then I took a box around to their shop in Pitsea and handed them over all careful like. The assistant came along and just poured them into a carrier bag and threw the box away.I could hear the sound of them smashing together in the bag. Think thats when I stopped making them. I was fuming but our lass pulled me away.
Good to hear your getting back on top of the garden sorry to read you stopped with the basket's, why was that. ? You do know you should never put baskets in a windy spot around the house because they do dry out quicker. Also if you have not got a well at the bottom of the basket you should use something like cardboard that swells when watered and keep the soil above damp. I do that and I have wells also but its best to be safe and stop the plants dying.
Time for my nap been to BQ and bought 4 plants for a tenner and 3x50l multi purpose compost, which I had to load and not long lifted out the car and through the house. Also hit Farm Foods and Poundland.
So I am gonna need that nap.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top