Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 10:01 AM

Re: Cookery Books.

Very seldom use cookery books and then only for the odd baking recipe to get the right proportions for butter vs flour and sugar etc.

As Judd says, one learns how to deal with food in general and once so armed you can make a myriad of flavoursome meals given almost any ingredients.

Like others here I cook every day with fresh ingredients. I will make stews, pastas, chillis, pies, roast dinners, and so on.

Last night, completely off the cuff, I bunged some chicken thighs (browned from the frying pan) into my slow cooker with plenty of garlic, a pack of chestnut mushrooms, a whole lemon cut into 8 segments, onions, some ginger, lots of fresh Thyme and some grilled chorizo. All braised in the slow cooker with white wine and a few other herbs. It was delicious. Had it with some boiled potatoes, broccoli and green beans.

Once you can handle the different cuts of meats and the various fish and seafood you are armed to be able to make lots of things. The accompanying sauce can be tomato based or creamy (creme fraiche) based or lemon and butter for fish and so on. None of it difficult really.

Certain foods have a natural affinity with others so its good to learn that and use them regularly together.

I think for most people, recipe books are an interesting diversion to give you ideas but they mostly sit on the bookshelf gathering dust.

Baking is a different matter altogether. That does imho generally require a recipe if you are looking for a specific end result of certain texture, lightness and so on.

Bread not so. Bread doesn't require any recipe. It's simply a choice of how open or tight you want the crumb to be. Much like deciding how strong you want a glass of orange squash to be. Adding more or less water changes the end result to your desired outcome. The amount of time you let a dough ferment changes the level of sourness and so on. All just personal preference.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 06:05 PM

You must have an amazing memory Realist. I often try little tweaks with dishes but i will only remember all the details if i write them down. I have so many other things to remember for my job that my brain is creaking!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 06:05 AM

You don't need a recipe book to bung a flavoursome Coles Pie in the microwave

Matter of fact, I feel like one now.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You don't need a recipe book to bung a flavoursome Coles Pie in the microwave

Matter of fact, I feel like one now.

Just think how much nicer it would be,if it were home made,Bruce,

I am about to make my own chicken and mushroom pie,..with a hot water crust pastry.

I was a cook for many years,...what I find is,..you never stop learning,..always something new to learn.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 10:12 AM

I have a cookery book that was a gift after I married in 1966 - Marguerite Patten - which I still use from time to time. I always make my Christmas cake and Christmas mincemeat from it and several other things too. I also have Be-Ro book that belonged to my late mother. In fact I have a shelf in my kitchen with a whole range of different cookery books. Occasionally I get recipes from the internet if I see something that takes my fancy.

I don't enjoy cooking really and see it has a chore - but we have to eat!

I like the sound of your chicken and mushroom pie Pauline!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 11:51 AM

I don't cook things that require weights and measures, so don't need recipes to tell me how how many onions, how many bay leaves etc.

I get inspiration from the TV, then do my version with sometimes considerably less ingredients, we all know the TV chefs are OTT, showing off.

Spag Bol

I believe in quality ingredients ... best chuck steak minced before my very eyes, Cirio tinned tomatoes and puree over supermarkets own brand, freshly grated parmesan over the powdery stuff.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I have a cookery book that was a gift after I married in 1966 - Marguerite Patten - which I still use from time to time. I always make my Christmas cake and Christmas mincemeat from it and several other things too. I also have Be-Ro book that belonged to my late mother. In fact I have a shelf in my kitchen with a whole range of different cookery books. Occasionally I get recipes from the internet if I see something that takes my fancy.

I don't enjoy cooking really and see it has a chore - but we have to eat!

I like the sound of your chicken and mushroom pie Pauline!

Here it is Margaret,..straight from the oven!.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	10035  
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

29-06-2019, 07:45 PM

I made the pastry with lard,chicken stock and flour,one of the easiest pastries to make.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Here it is Margaret,..straight from the oven!.
That looks absolutely delicious Pauline, it's making my mouth water!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Just think how much nicer it would be,if it were home made,Bruce,

I am about to make my own chicken and mushroom pie,..with a hot water crust pastry.

I was a cook for many years,...what I find is,..you never stop learning,..always something new to learn.
I can understand the English reluctance to eat bought pies having eaten those revolting Walls pies in the distant past but in Australia pies are an art form available for every occasion at every shop (and they are HOT)

No mad cows here.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top