Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 06:05 PM

Re: Washing

I put a drop of bleach and some white vinegar through a very hot cycle on mine. It keeps it clean and fresh. I do this every 3 or 4 months. Also I never leave wet washing in it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 06:31 PM

Thank you,Rox..
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 06:38 PM

Problem nowadays is the low temperatures and non bio detergents used , yes it cleans at lower temperatures, but it can cause mould to build up as boil washes aren’t used so much, I would imagine Pauline that you may have a build up of smelly sludge in the tub hose to the pump, there is always water sat in this pipe, and if it’s not flushed through regularly it can start to smell, you could clean the filter out ( if you can access it) this will help, there is often a build up in the outer drum, which cannot be accessed unless you take the drum out, I would buy a dedicated washing machine cleaner and use a boil wash on a regular basis, use a bit of bleach like Roxy suggests, and I wouldn’t leave your washing in overnight especially with the door closed, indeed when you have finished washing it’s good practice to leave the door slightly open to help dry out the seal...
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 06:56 PM

We’re having a week of warmer than usual weather here in UK and it has felt quite humid this last couple of days.
Is the weather where you live much warmer at present?

If you regularly clean your machine and don’t usually have this problem after leaving wet washing in overnight, it could be something as simple as the warmer overnight temperature has accelerated mould growth in the humidity of the wet washing.

Good idea to clean your filter too, though, if you haven’t done it for a while.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Problem nowadays is the low temperatures and non bio detergents used , yes it cleans at lower temperatures, but it can cause mould to build up as boil washes aren’t used so much, I would imagine Pauline that you may have a build up of smelly sludge in the tub hose to the pump, there is always water sat in this pipe, and if it’s not flushed through regularly it can start to smell, you could clean the filter out ( if you can access it) this will help, there is often a build up in the outer drum, which cannot be accessed unless you take the drum out, I would buy a dedicated washing machine cleaner and use a boil wash on a regular basis, use a bit of bleach like Roxy suggests, and I wouldn’t leave your washing in overnight especially with the door closed, indeed when you have finished washing it’s good practice to leave the door slightly open to help dry out the seal...

I believe you are right,Primus..will do what you have suggested,thank you...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

04-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Thank you,Boot....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:40 PM

If you already regularly clean then you should look into having it serviced. The cleaning fluid doesn't reach all areas. Might be something as simple as a replacement part.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If you already regularly clean then you should look into having it serviced. The cleaning fluid doesn't reach all areas. Might be something as simple as a replacement part.
Annie, there’s nothing to service on a washer, I doubt they will replace a part if there’s nothing wrong with it, you’re talking changing the pump, tub hose, drain hose, and door seal, not covered under a service agreement I wouldn’t think, unless there’s a fault with the pump, or a split in the hose, if you pay for a service all the engineer will do is check the belt and put it on a hot wash,
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 08:28 PM

Primus I bow to your greater knowledge of washing machines, the most I've done is take the washing powder drawer out and given it a good seeing to with a toothbrush and some q tips.

I wonder if it's something to do with the water supply. Did anyone see that doc martin episode where he had some work done and suddenly the sewage water was going into his kitchen sink instead of fresh water?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

04-07-2019, 08:29 PM

Thank you,Annie.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top