Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Re: Do you have a mobile phone?

I managed quite happily for ages without a mobile phone, but as I go hiking on my own, and as a motorist I could see that one would be useful for accidents or breakdowns; plus I do make a few everyday calls

I had a Nokia and a contract with Vodaphone, but ended up having a considerable falling out with them
They were very reluctant to reduce the contract, and more or less refused to change a contract to PAYG
Coincidentally my fairly old Nokia packed up and couldn't be repaired, so I decided to get a new phone, and change to PAYG
It took months of arguing and unpleasantness between myself and Vodaphone's head office, ending up with a stand up row in their local shop before they cancelled the contract
Vodaphone's accounts department is an absolute shambles, just Search Google accordingly. I have no intention of having anything to do with them in the future

Now I have a simple DORO phone on PAYG with Tesco and I'm happy enough
I get a £10 or £20 top up now and again, usually from a Tesco store so I get Tesco Club points as well
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Blimey RS, you must be out of touch with mobile phone costs if you think that the rest of us could ‘afford’ Norwegian Fjords, Japan and the Grand Prix just by giving up on this device? Quite laughable, really!

Mine proved invaluable when Mum was taken ill on our cruise. From first Kefalonia and then Athens I was able to contact and keep in touch with my family, the insurers, the ship’s agents and associates who sort of offered support and advice, and even the travel agency which booked the cruise for us.

I wouldn’t be without mine, but wouldn’t be as careless as family members who invite theft, or who lose theirs.

£14/m Tesco mobile, gives me all I need.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 10:05 AM

I've got one, but only for emergencies, data and GPS when I'm lost.
I put $15.00 credit on it which lasts a few months.
I rarely make calls but when I do they only cost 12 cents per minute.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I only have a basic Nokia. It cost me £40 and I pay £10 a month to 'run' it.

£160 in a whole year! It would pay for a special night out but not a holiday!!
I too have a basic old style phone which is brilliant because the battery lasts many days unlike modern smart phones which collapse at the slightest use of GPS maps etc.

The crucial aspect for me is using 1pMobile

I'm frequently horrified at the crazy subscriptions people are paying for their phones.

Using 1pMoble PAYG I have only to pay £30 for the ENTIRE YEAR. That is the minimum topup commitment, £10 every 4 months.

I have yet to find any cheaper network.

With 1pMobile the charges are then:

1p per text
1p per min calls
1p per MB Data

I personally rarely make calls, I tend to text.

Crucially the great thing with 1pMobile apart from those lowest costs, is that your CREDIT NEVER EXPIRES !

So whatever money you topup with will always remain there until you use it, ad infinitum.

This is cheaper than Asda and GiffGaff and other networks.

£30 minimum commitment for an entire year !!!!

Some of you here could save a good deal of money I reckon.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I only have a basic Nokia. It cost me £40 and I pay £10 a month to 'run' it.

£160 in a whole year! It would pay for a special night out but not a holiday!!

Yes of course I could manage without it but used sensibly they're a great time saver and brilliant if you need to get hold of somebody in an emergency.

Course it wouldn't pay for a holiday, Carol, I agree.

My one is only £60 a year (fiver a month), so that would only get me a couple of taxi's to Tesco and back.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Yes, I have a mobile phone. I had never intended to get one, but several years ago Marge, who had had one for quite a time, persuaded me that I 'need' one!

Actually, it's more of a mobile computer than a mobile phone. I very rarely use it as a phone... and no-one ever phones me!

I use it a lot, though, for the internet, messages, camera and the occasional game (Sudoku) while I'm in the doctor's waiting room, as they are usually running late!

As I said, mobile phones these days are much more mobile computers, and have a plethora of useful functions.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Ms d00d takes my calls/texts, I don't need/want a phone.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
My phone is a Motorola G5 and i.m wanting a new one as I like to take photos and the camera on this isn't much good. I was looking in car phone warehouse yesterday and the prices of some phones were just ridiculously high like £800! I couldn't pay that for a phone.

Recommendations for a good phone with good camera spec for a decent price anyone?
I have latest Motorola, a G7 Plus. Here's a camera review (in the middle of a complete review):

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mo...iew-1888p5.php

It cost £249 from CPW and I'm delighted with it.

I have a 12 month SIM-only contract with Virgin - 2GB data, 1000 minutes calls, unlimited texts for £6 pm - unused data is carried over.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Who is that with Judd? I had a deal like this but then they put it up gradually.
It's with GiffGaff Annie - have just checked and it's now unlimited calls and texts as well as my 4Gb data (3Gb + 1GB extra free for being a long-time customer). They piggy-back on the O2 network so have excellent coverage mostly everywhere.

Cheaper SIM only deals are available.

You can get further info and get a free SIM card from here:

https://www.giffgaff.com/
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Mine costs £180 a year to run sim only and the handset cost just over £100. The cost of a weekend away in the UK. It's having the latest models that costs.

My phone has been very useful on holiday. I even texted the UK when I got lost in the desert in Jordan many years ago! That was before smartphones. I didn't have the number of the guide. You can google taxis for the airport and see reviews for restaurants and excursions etc. Plus of course they have a camera.

I totally agree about the "xombie" walk and the way that it has reduced social interaction and sucked us in. I resisted for many years. But it's very difficult to do anything without one now. Many public services are now linked to apps and not available otherwise. For example I can re order prescriptions and it reminds you of hospital or GP appointments. If I want to park my car there is a really handy app so you don't even have to get out.

Annie, do you Text the Medics and get them to come out to the Car Park?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top