Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 06:33 PM

I should have been a vet before having cats!

One of my cats has asthma, so I have to watch him carefully when Pollen is around & make sure he has his inhaler when he coughs.....so that is keeping me busy at the moment , but he is doing well!

Another one has been having problems for about 6 weeks with sneezing & swallowing, I have had him at the vets 3 times but apart from scaling his teeth, owing to sore gums, they can find nothing so just gave him injections to avoid infection, pain & any possible breathing difficulties.
He was there on Wednesday evening for his jabs but sneezed a lot last night. I have kept him in for 4 days, in case the pollen was affecting him, but around 3.30 the sneezing became severe so i gave him some Metacam for pain & comforted him. Around 5 he was on my lap and started sneezing again, so decided I would need to take him to an emergency vet tonight.

Then I noticed something coming from his nostril, so held it with my fingers and eased it out..... it was a 2 inch long blade of very thick grass.
Once out he stopped sneezing and demanded more food. I don't mind spoiling him though, because it must have been there , irritating him, for 6 weeks!
I am now having a large glass of red wine to calm myself..and as a reward for the excellent care I give them and the big vet bills I pay.
I will let the vet know on Monday but I have to say that I am so thrilled that both cats are now feeling much better!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Re: I should have been a vet before having cats!

oh I never thought of cats having asthma, how do you get them to take inhalers? Poor cat.

Glad to hear you found the offending blade of grass, it must have been making him feel pretty chit. Awww, glad both cats are feeling ok now thanks to Mummy Twinky.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
oh I never thought of cats having asthma, how do you get them to take inhalers? Poor cat.

Glad to hear you found the offending blade of grass, it must have been making him feel pretty chit. Awww, glad both cats are feeling ok now thanks to Mummy Twinky.
Asthma isn't common in cats but more are getting it. He has a spacer, like they give children with asthma,but he has a little mask that you put over his nose & mouth & you squeeze the inhaler into the other end. Rudi is an angel so just sits there , takes his 7 breaths, & knows he will get a little treat for being good.

Kit, the other one, will probably expect me to pull a string round the house so he can chase it.... and I will because he deserves it!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Asthma isn't common in cats but more are getting it. He has a spacer, like they give children with asthma,but he has a little mask that you put over his nose & mouth & you squeeze the inhaler into the other end. Rudi is an angel so just sits there , takes his 7 breaths, & knows he will get a little treat for being good.

Kit, the other one, will probably expect me to pull a string round the house so he can chase it.... and I will because he deserves it!
And he has a human mummy who loves the bones of him (and fur) lol . You are a good kitty mummy
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

13-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
And he has a human mummy who loves the bones of him (and fur) lol . You are a good kitty mummy
Thank you!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 06:50 PM

What a good Mummy you are Twink, I can't imagine Coco letting me put a mask over her nose and mouth.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

13-07-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
What a good Mummy you are Twink, I can't imagine Coco letting me put a mask over her nose and mouth.
They soon get used to it Susie..... but I am sure the treat at the end helps!

I used to have 2 diabetic ones & they didn't even notice when i gave them their insulin injections.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Good find Twink! Bet he'll feel a lot better now.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

13-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Good find Twink! Bet he'll feel a lot better now.
Thanks Jazzi, he is currently having a snooze on my bed & looks content.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 08:14 PM

That was a great outcome Twink. I'm glad he is OK, he suffers enough as it is - keep up the good work.

This might be a ridiculous question but is there a chance that the grass grew form a seed in his nostril?

This story reminds me of when one of my goldfish was looking a bit off colour and I noticed something sticking out of his mouth, so I gently pulled it out and discovered a 3 inch worm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top