Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 10:46 PM

Home FIres

‘Home Fires’ another well acted British, Film about World War 11 years
How lovely the women looked in dresses and suits that actually fitted and were made in UK
So elegant.
Nobody looked scruffy, or walked around smoking, maybe behind closed doors!
Still, there was intrigue, and affairs as well

During the 40’s, 50’s Girls use to save up for a whole year to buy one quality garment like a coat which lasted for years.
Also, when couples got engaged, they made many sacrifices and saved up for a deposit on a modest terraced house, They did not expect the Government to provide them with one. Most women could cook, sew, and knit, and men were useful in decorating too
Men did not walk around with their bellies hanging over their trousers , nor did tradesmen show their bum when they bent down. They all wore overalls.

How times have changed!
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 08:25 AM

Re: Home FIres

Didn't realise this was back on so missed first 10 mins while I was channel hopping.

They should sack the make up artist. Every single woman had a really orange face and a white neck. In one scene Pats face was orange, her neck white and then they'd dusted a bit of orange on her chest. It looked so awful I couldn't concentrate.
once I'd seen her I realised all the women were the same.

Just awful make up.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 08:41 AM

How I agree with you Azure - so very sad that society has changed so much
I'm still the same though - totally retro
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 10:51 AM

Love this but as we were away have recorded it to watch later agree about the clothes but I quite like the anyone can wear anything attitude we have today as I would look very out of place in such a buttoned up society. Hippy chic looks the best to me
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 12:34 PM

great programme and yes people were smarter then - not the casual clothes we all wear today, also i think people on the whole were politer and had more respect than they do today
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 05:46 PM

I look back at photos of my mum in the 1940s and even though they hardly had any money she always looked smart. Her hair was always lovely too and she just did it with setting lotion and huge great metal clips to give it waves.

My mum is 92 now and always remarks at how well turned out people were then, she particularly mentions the postmen who always wore uniforms, caps and polished shoes and took a real pride in their jobs. I noticed last night that the lad who brought the telegram also had a smart uniform.

As a little girl in the 50s I remember the greengrocer wearing a smart tan overall, the butcher and fishmonger wore clean shirts and striped aprons and our milkman wore a white coat and a peaked cap.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
I look back at photos of my mum in the 1940s and even though they hardly had any money she always looked smart. Her hair was always lovely too and she just did it with setting lotion and huge great metal clips to give it waves.

My mum is 92 now and always remarks at how well turned out people were then, she particularly mentions the postmen who always wore uniforms, caps and polished shoes and took a real pride in their jobs. I noticed last night that the lad who brought the telegram also had a smart uniform.

As a little girl in the 50s I remember the greengrocer wearing a smart tan overall, the butcher and fishmonger wore clean shirts and striped aprons and our milkman wore a white coat and a peaked cap.
Yes Flowerpower, they all took pride in their work as well
At the time many women did not wear make up. or smoke.
Probably were not insruticted to apply it well and blend it into the neck area.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

04-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
How I agree with you Azure - so very sad that society has changed so much
I'm still the same though - totally retro
People were well behaved then too.
I have pretty dresses fon 1980's that are indistructable and still wear them
Now even Designer Fashions are made in the Far East for £10,00,with slave labour and the buttons fall of and seams come apart and... knicker elasitic is no good as the can fall down round your ankles when out shopping Oh My!

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

04-04-2016, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Welshie ->
great programme and yes people were smarter then - not the casual clothes we all wear today, also i think people on the whole were politer and had more respect than they do today
You are right Welshie,
You did not hear swearing in public as well,
And..You did not see women smoking in the street.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

04-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Love this but as we were away have recorded it to watch later agree about the clothes but I quite like the anyone can wear anything attitude we have today as I would look very out of place in such a buttoned up society. Hippy chic looks the best to me
Julie, it is nice to wear what you like and fell comfortable in these days,

The War liberated millions of women who were tied to the kitchen sink and many were survile to their husbands.

They went to work in the Ammunitions Factories to help the War effort and also learned to drive as well and, for the first time many had their own income.

A big shock for the men!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top