Join for free
Page 119 of 1676 « First < 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 219 619 1119 > Last »
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 04:33 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Sorry to intrude Lads,but just wanted to say Hi to Jem...You've been missed
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 04:47 PM

Jem, you are as welcome back as the 7th cavalry were at the battle of the Little Big Horn. Custer’s Last Stand? I don’t think I have that right.
It’s been dreadful in here while you’ve been away. Folks trouncing and flouncing off, coming back
Then verbal diarrhoea, esoteric nonsense, and some moments of pure distilled wisdom.
Funny you should mention Moses cos a forebear of mine rejoiced in that name .
Moses Phythian of Liverpool married Ellen Ashton, they had Joseph, who had William (my grandfather, & William had William 2 my dad, who had Robert 7 (me)
My family came from Ireland originally as did my nurse Gillians lot. My paternal (then maternal line) cometh from Cornwall in about 1750.
Sad to tell, my surname will die with me, a vast majority of females have caused this, my son has had all girls and my grandson's mother has married a European.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Ah yes RJ, poor old General Custer got his comeuppance that fateful day, a great day for the native Americans though.

Thank you for your kind words May.

Me poor head is spinning trying to read all the stuff about the new rules, I’ll just leave it to the experts to sort it out, I don’t envy them, this place is getting more like the Jerry Springer show, I’ll just keep me nose clean in the meantime.

A strange kind of folk we have in a forum
Plenty of laughs and tantrums galorum
Most like the smooth but can cope with the rough
While others get sulky and march off in a huff
A few say good morning and so too goodnight
And more hack away with the occasional bite,
Some wish others well I’m happy to say
While there are those who wouldn’t bid you the time of the day
Then you have folks who try hard for a reaction
So the innocent who answers is driven to distraction
We’ve had trolls, moles, and even lost souls
From folks riding bikes to others driving Rolls.
So whether your a snob or working down the docks
Remember we all end up in a big wooden box.

The thing is, you never really get to know people do you, people are so complex and unique. Now take my wife, (go on go on your dying to say it, “I wish someone would”) only this morning she says to me that she wants to learn how to swim, she's 71, what do you want to do that for at your age, it never bothered you before. I said to her. "Well me sister Eileen was telling me she learned last week and she's two years older than me" "Go ahead then by all means if it makes you happy" I know in me heart and soul she has no intentions of taking lessons, I’ve been offering to teach her to swim since she was 15, but isn't it strange how she can be so easily influenced by others? I always thought she was so independent all her life, you never really know with people do you?

That reminds me, I asked a diver friend of mine a question that always bothered me, why do divers always lean backwards when leaving the boat to go underwater? Because if they leaned forward they would still be in the boat. That makes sense I suppose.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 09:50 PM

Ah Jem, I enjoyed reading all that.

I have met folks from groups I belonged to back in the 1990s & was disappointed in the main with these pale shadows of their on screen personae. No doubt they felt the same. Having said that (& I stress no one in here comes into the category of paper tiger) I wonder how close we are to the truth in our posts.
I have in certain periods of my life played to the galleries in the guise of one of my Dissociative identity disorder muses.

I have no wish to spoil my mental picture of my chums in here by meeting up. I see one and all in a certain mould & don't want to have again the shock of that eureka moment when I realised the literal situation when the Beverley Sisters crooned "I saw mummy kissing Santa Claus, underneath the mistletoe last night"

As Spitty would say.
"Its a puzzle wrapped up in a mystery wrapped up in an enigma.
WTF Santa is not a real person, I deplore the practise of deceiving children so grossly every year. What loving parent would encourage an obese old man to visit their kids during the night of 24th December. He's not real.
Now the tooth fairy, thats another matter, she's real.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

31-10-2016, 09:52 PM

PS Jem, new rules?

great poem !
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
ah a flat line eh ? - are there other sorts of lines - bubbly lines; humpty lines; wavy lines; what actually defines a line - Pug lend us your mug to solve this conundrum. must a line be flat - and if not why is robert sporting a flat line which in fact is not a feckin line it's a row of dots - well maybe he's just gone dotty again!!

Ahh-the old 'izza line akshly a line' question arises once again.
It's surprising how often this question is asked,gummybear-and too often,by folk of superior intellect [smooth,eh?] who obfuscate their own ability to surmise the answer,by self-concocting variations of solidity.
In short,no,a line need not be flat,solid,or even observable as a physical entity. By definition,a line is a delineation. Ergo,all activities within,behind or abutting aforementioned delineation will be accepted as 'within agreed/mutually acceptable boundaries'. Thus,one may refer to language,behaviour,sexual promiscuity,individual rationalities and the acceptances thereof [ie,religions and the practices therein] and accept that NONE of these will have a physical boundary. Or,one could gaze out into the sky and observe [for instance] the Sombrero Galaxy [in Virgo,should anyone g-a-s,which I doubt] In THIS instance,we have a globular mass...which is hollow! Because-it actually ISN'T a mass,but is in fact,billions of small galaxies,which,by graviational mutual attraction,have over millennia untold,formed what,from 28 million light-years away,looks like a ball....with a 'disc' around it. BUT-it isn't. That 'Line' we spoke of has appeared in different form...THIS time in 'mutual maximum capacity' ratio-which means that the centre of the Sombrero Galaxy is actually a supermassive Black Hole...and I do mean SUPER massive. It's even bigger than Jem's wallet! The 'line' in this case,is the minimum distance from maximum damage line. Every cluster and galaxy holds every other cluster and galaxy in position,by BEING IN position....and so the dance starts...but stay in line-or die.

However-iff'n y'just want to draw a line with chalk,or with a stick in some sand....then no,the line does NOT have to be either straight OR flat. In fact-it won't be.

[oops....sorry....carry on,chaps-I'll go away-in a straight line.[although,it won't be,due to curvature,geodesic shift,polarities of elements differing and a few other factors I promise I'll stfu about!!!]
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 10:11 PM

ello we need some FRESH blood on here a Jem full will do!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

01-11-2016, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
OH dear......a flat line...........................
It 's not as obfusgate as it first appears.

A flat line may be dotty as it is in my post, rather a flat line as when someone turns off a life support machine.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

01-11-2016, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
ello we need some FRESH blood on here a Jem full will do!
Doctor: Where are you going?
Hancock: To have my tea and biscuits.
Doctor: I thought you came here to give some of your blood!
Hancock: You've just had it.
Doctor: But this is just a smear!
Hancock: It may be just a smear to you, mate, but it's life and death to some poor wretch!
Hancock: How much do you want then?
Doctor: Well, a pint, of course?
Hancock: A pint? Have you gone raving mad? [...] I mean, I came here in all good faith, to help my country. I don't mind giving a reasonable amount, but a pint? Why, that's very nearly an armful!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Greetings fellow scribblers, I never thought I’d have to say this but I did miss you old goons, but then I always get sentimental around this time, and fair dues to you all you never fail to make me smile, thank you.
I won’t bore you by talking about work, just to say that I’m finished now till next year, all done and paid for and everyone’s satisfied. I haven’t been near a computer for weeks nor have I been out for a pint, I find it best to focus totally on the jobs until the end, so it was out to the shed early in the morning, in for my meals, then at the end of the day a few glasses of port for fortification and maybe an hour of TV.
I have an idea of how Moses felt as he came down from the mountain, knackered after his 40 days of praying for sinners, it is written that when he came down and seen his flock adoring the golden calf he uttered in anger “Oh God, in your infinite wisdom, how can you just sit there on your ass tronomical throne and let this happen to me”
I have a lot to catch up on here so I’ll see you soon, right now I’m off for a few well earned pints.
Good to see you back in the helm Jem

Page 119 of 1676 « First < 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 219 619 1119 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top