Join for free
Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Re: French Fishermen attack our Boats

As I understand it this is nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with different French/British law as to when you can fish for scallops. The French have a law that says they should give the waters a rest so the scallops can replenish. We don't.

I'd say it's the French who are right with the law and maybe we should have the same law. Seems more environmentally friendly.

When was the last time anyone here ate scallops?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 08:56 PM

me miss! me miss!! " I hate scalllops"!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 09:19 PM

I hate it, when the person in the Queue at the Chip Shop, Bagsied the last Scallop, and you have to wait 5 minutes for the next one.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I hate it, when the person in the Queue at the Chip Shop, Bagsied the last Scallop, and you have to wait 5 minutes for the next one.
I had that today, it's just so irritating......
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 09:24 PM

You have my sympathies, expecially after the wait, if the scallop was soggy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
As I understand it this is nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with different French/British law as to when you can fish for scallops. The French have a law that says they should give the waters a rest so the scallops can replenish. We don't.

I'd say it's the French who are right with the law and maybe we should have the same law. Seems more environmentally friendly.

When was the last time anyone here ate scallops?
You may be right that the Frogs have the moral high ground, but the British fishermen were acting within the law. There is no contesting that.

The French fishermen, on the contrary, were acting outside of the law in physically attacking the British fishermen, and that should not be tolerated.

Anyone but our wishy washy government, headed by our even more wishy washy PM, would have reacted to those attacks by sending in the military.

As for the last time I ate a scallop, that was last week in Belgium. A lonely scallop, along with two lonely prawns, were occupying my 'prawn tagliatelle'. Far more tagliatelle than prawn, it has to be said.
I believe I posted about that on here some days ago.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You may be right that the Frogs have the moral high ground, but the British fishermen were acting within the law. There is no contesting that.

The French fishermen, on the contrary, were acting outside of the law in physically attacking the British fishermen, and that should not be tolerated.

Anyone but our wishy washy government, headed by our even more wishy washy PM, would have reacted to those attacks by sending in the military.

As for the last time I ate a scallop, that was last week in Belgium. A lonely scallop, along with two lonely prawns, were occupying my 'prawn tagliatelle'. Far more tagliatelle than prawn, it has to be said.
Agreed that the French were wrong to attack but I don't understand how the French have a different law if the EU has such a tight hold of fishing rules and our laws? Why don't we have lots of different laws that suit our own ideals and override what the EU says?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Scallop is the posh poncey name given to make a basic potato dish sound more glamorous than it is. The correct name is collop, originally applied to thick slices of bacon or beef but then applied to any type of food sliced into manageable pieces.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Agreed that the French were wrong to attack but I don't understand how the French have a different law if the EU has such a tight hold of fishing rules and our laws? Why don't we have lots of different laws that suit our own ideals and override what the EU says?
Ask Barmy or Junket. Or perhaps you might have more luck with Murky.

Hopefully by this time next year we will.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

really I must scallop along and read about that then!

Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top