Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Re: Picnics.

True when it rains we dash inside, bit of a squash when we have all met up though still fun ! And if we can all get round the table cards come out and we have a mad game of rummy !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Sounds good ta me
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:03 PM

Picnics are great
In the open air
You can stay up late
With never a care

You can drink in the dark
Walk into trees
Feel their rough bark
On your grazed old knees

Enjoy the fresh air
Dodge the stinging midges
With never a care
Cross streams on the bridges

Horses wander free
And lunge at your dinner
Its not something for me
I wish I was thinner

Don’t get me wrong
I don’t loathe al fresco
But its just not my song
Prefer the cafe at Tesco
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:07 PM

I like that very much Robert!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:36 PM

I agree Mags, great stuff RJ.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 08:03 PM

I have to agree with Jem mostly. I don't like wasps, ants, biting flies, etc.
Yes, I agree a picnic sounds wonderfully romantic & carefree but in reality even though I'm 51 my knees can't bend right back (something stupid I did back in my 30's) & plus my back gets achy unless I have a cushions behind it. My lord, I sound about 80 but that's reality & I guess I'd rather at least be at a picnic table. Wasps still freak me out tho.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 08:15 PM

Yes, another cracker from RJ.

Picnics are wonderful I think; just so romantic. Not been on one really, not one that I consider well prepared, but having read about them in novels I find the idea appealing, but the reality? I wonder: sweating from too strong sunlight, cold from it being too eh cold, flies buzzing around. It might be a complete let down but the idea is very much appealing. The 'gentry' used to go, or still go, for a picnic so very well prepared.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 09:04 PM

I don't remember ever having problems with insects just once a swarm of ladybirds invaded us but they were a freakish event never seen that happen before or since. It really is a case of choosing the right spot. Umbrella solves the sun problem and the rain and a coat or jumper the cold problem.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
I have to agree with Jem mostly. I don't like wasps, ants, biting flies, etc.
Yes, I agree a picnic sounds wonderfully romantic & carefree but in reality even though I'm 51 my knees can't bend right back (something stupid I did back in my 30's) & plus my back gets achy unless I have a cushions behind it. My lord, I sound about 80 but that's reality & I guess I'd rather at least be at a picnic table. Wasps still freak me out tho.
One word... Aeroguard

Jeana
Oregon, USA
Jeana is female 

01-11-2014, 09:49 PM

There are lots of kinds of picnics. One doesn't have to sit on the ground with a tablecloth spread out and their knees up in the air. A picnic is whatever you want it to be, from homemade foods and place settings on a tablecloth on a picnic table in a landscaped park, and a little 'boom box' playing classical music...to fast food in a paper bag, 2 cans of soda pop, and sitting down on a driftwood log on a beach to watch the sunset. And anything in between.

I've taken men on picnics and they were skeptical at first, but cooperative. In the end, they always loved it and it reminded them of being a kid! I took one man on a picnic to a favorite place of mine. I had packed us meal items from home, which we carried in my picnic baskets after arriving at a lovely park by the ocean. We chose a picnic table in a private area and I set out the tablecloth, settings and food. We sat there above crashing waves, having a nice conversation, enjoying the fresh air and sunshine, with chipmunks begging for treats. I'd brought a thermos of coffee so we sat with coffee after. Later we took a short walk through the woods to a secret spot where we could enjoy a beautiful view of a cove. This man got very teary and was so touched and gave me a big hug. He said no woman had ever gone to the trouble to do anything like this, or shown him such a simple and wonderful day as this. He had been married for 30 years and his ex wife was the type who had no interest in the outdoors and would only eat in restaurants, so they'd never had a picnic in 30 years. He was delighted with our day and felt like a kid again, eating outside, and exploring!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top