Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 09:20 PM

Re: A new camera? Upgrade from compact.

Those of you with a similar camera...what memory cards do you use? Have you bought the most expensive 'Elite' ones? PC World has a 32gb for £45. And that is the top end one.

Or have you used a lower grade, with no loss of good photo?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Those of you with a similar camera...what memory cards do you use? Have you bought the most expensive 'Elite' ones? PC World has a 32gb for £45. And that is the top end one.

What you pay for is speed of memory as well as capacity. A cheap card will give you capacity, but it will take a while for the camera to write to it. That means if you have 'rapid fire' shooting, the card will not cope and you may lose some pics in the process. It also applies to shooting video where you may get frame stutter or can only record short sequences.

You need to check with your camera instructions and see what is the best card suited to your camera. My preference is speed over capacity every time.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
What you pay for is speed of memory as well as capacity. A cheap card will give you capacity, but it will take a while for the camera to write to it. That means if you have 'rapid fire' shooting, the card will not cope and you may lose some pics in the process. It also applies to shooting video where you may get frame stutter or can only record short sequences.

You need to check with your camera instructions and see what is the best card suited to your camera. My preference is speed over capacity every time.
Thanks. That makes perfect sense.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

It might be worth shopping around. $90 for 32Gb sounds outrageous to me. I recently bought Sandisk 32 Gb Class10 (20-30Mb/s) SD cards for $29 for a new camera, You definitely shouldn't be paying more than $1 (50p) a GB for Ultra cards up to 64Gb
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:14 AM

I use Sandisk Ultra 4GB cards i shoot in Raw so each file is quite big. These are fine for photography but if you are making videos something larger may be required.

Ive only ever filled a 4GB card once and that took over 300 images in Raw. Never had one fail found them very reliable.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

07-08-2014, 09:25 AM

Thanks guys. Still waiting to see if I can get the cash back. Had a response that the cash back section and brochure download are down for maintenance until this afternoon. So won't know until then if I can still get my cashback.

Have emailed the appropriate team asking this.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top