Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 03:28 PM

Farewell Debbies

https://www.reuters.com/business/ret...15-2021-05-05/

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 04:31 PM

Re: Farewell Debbies

Lately I've shopped in Tesco for clothing. I was very pee'd off when Evans closed though. Their jeans are/were the best for me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 04:45 PM

Such a shame. I have always liked Debenhams as a store and it will leave huge spaces on the high street.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 04:54 PM

We are losing our older department stores, too - a little slice of pleasure sliding into history...

I remember my mother and grandmother donning cinch-waisted, pretty bordered dresses over crinoline slips, along with matching heels and purses, dragging me along to see the wonders of these places. The biting of lips in making choices (usually they came home with nothing - things were ever too expensive, except maybe just one tube of scarlet lipstick or a practical outfit I didn't want), the reflections of the cut glass display cases, the heady aroma of perfumes, angular mannequins in ball gowns, handsome gentlemen offering jewel-toned neckties. It really was a treat!

Shopping on Amazon in my yoga outfit just isn't quite the same. Sigh.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Lately I've shopped in Tesco for clothing. I was very pee'd off when Evans closed though. Their jeans are/were the best for me.
I find Tesco clothes very small made, especially jeans. I like Matalan and Bonmarche for jeans. Bought several pairs when I was down in Perth a couple of weeks ago. I tried Jeggings this time and they are really comfy.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 06:14 PM

I'm sorry to see it close, but I never shopped there apart from a couple of watches. I knew a couple of people who worked there and I'm sorry they will lose their jobs though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 06:51 PM

Sorry to see yet more empty shops but I didn't shop in Debenhams , not my kind of place to 'main stream' I like 'different '
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I find Tesco clothes very small made, especially jeans. I like Matalan and Bonmarche for jeans. Bought several pairs when I was down in Perth a couple of weeks ago. I tried Jeggings this time and they are really comfy.
I don't buy Tesco jeans, but their other clothing is ok, I often buy men's rather than ladies jumpers & tees as I prefer them longer. Other clothing stores haven't been open due to lockdown but Tesco continued to sell theirs.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 11:42 AM

Sad to see all the big stores going, one by one. I used to love trawling through Debenhams as Christmas approached, getting stocking fillers for the kids, silly games or jokes to put on the tree for the adults, perfume gift boxes and so on. Shopping online for these sort of things just isn't the same, but it's what we've all had to get used to through the pandemic.

It seems that the pandemic was just the final nail in the coffin for all these stores that were struggling to keep going. It must have been awful last Christmas for them - they've always relied so much on the Christmas and New Year trade, and that trade probably all went in Amazon's coffers

RIP Debenhams, I know I won't really miss you, but I miss the past with you in it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 11:51 AM

Used to go to the Pub, to check out the "Stocking fillers".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top