Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 06:48 AM

Times they are a changing

Anyone remember the 70's/80's when football violence was at it's height, the news today is on about stamping out "inappropriate behaviour", Lol, chanting, vuvuzelas etc, shouldn't we be just glad that en-masse fans ain't kicking the heck out of each other anymore.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 06:54 AM

Re: Times they are a changing

I'm all for any changes to curb football violence, hope this goes for the players too .....
Saw examples of violence - football related on the news a few weeks back, in the stands .......
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 07:02 AM

Me thinks there is a plot to introduce the Jolly Hockey sticks crowd to the terraces.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 07:28 AM

And why not ? I know my father used to reminisce about when he was a lad and the entire family would go to matches, he was quite distressed being unable to even go to a match himself in at the height of the violence let alone take his children with him.

One of the most shameful things now is the racism and homophobic chants. Would never hear that at cricket/tennis matches
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
And why not ? I know my father used to reminisce about when he was a lad and the entire family would go to matches, he was quite distressed being unable to even go to a match himself in at the height of the violence let alone take his children with him.

One of the most shameful things now is the racism and homophobic chants. Would never hear that at cricket/tennis matches
Agreed, but participants in these sports ain't paid £60,000.00 a week,, but seriously, back in the heady days, violence was orchestrated, fighting was pre-arranged, in general, unless really unlucky being in the wrong place at the wrong time, such abhorrent behaviour could be avoided, perhaps trying to stamp out chanting etc, is an attempt to prevent a return to these days.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Some people go to matches, not to watch the match but to display their baser instincts without any redress...........morons !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Agreed, but participants in these sports ain't paid £60,000.00 a week,, but seriously, back in the heady days, violence was orchestrated, fighting was pre-arranged, in general, unless really unlucky being in the wrong place at the wrong time, such abhorrent behaviour could be avoided, perhaps trying to stamp out chanting etc, is an attempt to prevent a return to these days.
Whilst that may be true but Gay men were sadly targeted shamefully so he couldn't take us with him.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-08-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Whilst that may be true but Gay men were sadly targeted shamefully so he couldn't take us with him.
I make no excuses for the scum who behave in this manner, I just shared conversation with a few of them.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
seriously, back in the heady days, violence was orchestrated, fighting was pre-arranged, in general, unless really unlucky being in the wrong place at the wrong time, such abhorrent behaviour could be avoided,
Agreed - it did tend to be rival groups that used football matches as a theme and a venue; pathetic. I went to quite a few matches at Sunderland and everyone there just seemed to have a really good time, not one incident (not even a dirty look that I saw) happened. The only match I avoided was Sunderland v Newcastle - nuff said

perhaps trying to stamp out chanting etc, is an attempt to prevent a return to these days.
I do think there are certain factions of football that still need to be civilised and this, I think, is part of the process - with some morons, it wouldn't take much to light the blue touch paper again so best to get rid of any angle of it and then maybe, it will become a family sport venue again.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Nothing wrong with football other than the kick off times.
The reason is that the fans come to the ground tanked up with booze, and in some grounds buy it.
Kick off at 10 am and you will see a different behaviour on the terraces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top