Join for free
Page 140 of 370 « First < 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 190 240 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 09:59 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
See, I was here all the time, you can't get rid of me that easily Foxy

Drawers nice and tidy now

Been walkies a few times, about 3 miles each time.
Haven't started swimming again yet, it's always raining and I don't like getting wet.
Even to me that makes no sense!
Thank Goodness for that Ruthio, I had a bad dream the other night and woke up in a cold sweat....
I dreamed that I tried to visit your profile to see where you were and I couldn't find any trace of it....
I thought I would never hear from you again....
What a relief to wake up and find that you are still here....
Well done on the walking by the way....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 10:26 AM

Jazz.......A load of blokes all playing different tunes, each in their own little world....It usually sounds like they are all just tuning up but never get around to playing oat......

So how did my five mile Ah hem' walk go I hear you ask.....
The weather was milder than of late and the sun was hidden behind a thick grey layer of unbroken cloud. All the off road bits were firm and dry. Hardly a twinge as I left the comfort of my bed, and stepped out into the world.

I walked briskly for the first mile, and just as I left the hard tarmac of the road and stepped through the kissing gate into the silent and mysterious world of the forest, I began to jog. It felt good to be on my toes again, and after walking in substantial walking shoes for the last couple of months, I now felt fleet of foot in my lightweight running shoes.

Through the forest I ran, across the road that cut the forest into two halves and on into woods where I eventually came out onto a tarmac cycle track and a proliferation of newish houses. I eventually reached the busy main road and dropped into a walk. A good mile jogged I guessed, even at a slow jog my lungs panted for air and my legs were thankful of the rest - There is plenty of work to do I thought....

After a short walk I again started to jog, and so it was, for the rest of the way home. In fact the only reason I walked occasionally was to cool down, although I was wearing shorts the jumper and thin fleece top I wore were far too substantial for running, and I was growing uncomfortable.

Only the slightest of murmers from the Piriformis Muscle, and the small (200mg) ibuprofen taken with a mug of Yorkshire Tea and a couple of chocolate biscuits prevented any inflammation from getting worse. I remain relatively pain free this morning as I prepare to visit the dentist for a quick repair....It's looking good though, so perhaps a full blown jog tomorrow...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2018, 04:10 AM

Bob, that's fantastic mate, I'm really pleased for you. This was entirely unexpected - so soon at least. Something is definitely working well for you. Whether it's the tablets or your sheer willpower, whatever it is it's brilliant.
Don't go mad though, take things steady. But I think we can judge by this revelationary performance that you're back in the land of the living and joining us all again. Well done

Suzie - Firstly, hope you had a safe journey, you must be racking up some miles on that car of yours lately. Hope all went well with your daughter's appointment

Running on sand is great the leg strengthening, especially the calves. All that resistance pressure works wonders.
When I was in Belize I would go out to the cayes and run around the island in shallow water, sometimes going deeper up to my knees and pushing against the water. I acquired some serious development doing that kind of stuff - but we're talking over 25 years ago now, but I'm sure I'd do it again if I had the chance / could be bothered!

Thanks for your kind words about my future plans too. I'm resigned to the fact that I must stick this thing out and time will pass as quickly as possible to that magical time. Work-wise that is, I'm not wishing my life away just yet!

I'm doing okay with the coffee abstaining. I still have my mug in the afternoon but just the one small cup at work now, and taking it easy on the black too. Feeling much better this week.

No gym today because I'll be doing the school run again but I'll put in a short mid-week session Wednesday.

**Edited to add another note**
I'm thinking about reintroducing some cardio into my gym routine. It's been a long time since I did any treadmill/rowing/bike/cross trainer work and with my hols coming up in early June some cardio training would shed those few extra pounds, so it's just a matter of juggling things around and I'll make a start.
As usual though it's fitting it into my routine. My initial plan is to do the cardio on a Friday when I won't be shattered for my night shift. This shouldn't affect my other training if I make sure I do my legs session on a Sunday, a big Saturday upper body workout and a shorter one during the week.
Watch this space.

Take care all
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-04-2018, 10:03 AM

Thanks Floydy, you've cheered me up no end....
I had intended to leap out of bed this morning and dance my way around a three mile (5km) running course dressed in clean pressed running attire that has been languishing in my wardrobe (undisturbed) for the last two months......

Unfortunately, my visit to the dentist yesterday resulted in the loss of a very important part of my masticating equipment.... The tooth in question was hastily removed.
So after waking this morning and feeling like I had gone three rounds with Mike Tyson, added to this, the torrential rain beating on my window and testing my resolve....I have postponed my comeback until better weather and healed gums....I'm going soft....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Floydy, you've cheered me up no end....
I had intended to leap out of bed this morning and dance my way around a three mile (5km) running course dressed in clean pressed running attire that has been languishing in my wardrobe (undisturbed) for the last two months......

Unfortunately, my visit to the dentist yesterday resulted in the loss of a very important part of my masticating equipment.... The tooth in question was hastily removed.
So after waking this morning and feeling like I had gone three rounds with Mike Tyson, added to this, the torrential rain beating on my window and testing my resolve....I have postponed my comeback until better weather and healed gums....I'm going soft....
Oi Bob, you can't be soft bud - you're a Northerner and Northerners are not soft.
But on this occasion I'll let you off. We'll call it "a rest".
There's always tomorrow. Hope the tooth's okay
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

11-04-2018, 03:54 PM

Because of my recent “health scare”, which was probably nothing more than drinking too much coffee and working too hard without enough rest (i.e. training straight after the weekend’s night shift), I’ve been looking at my programme again and devising ways which may suit my lifestyle (lol, what is that?) better.

As I write it’s Wednesday late afternoon and I’ve been feeling positively invigorated this week. Despite being very busy at work doing a variety of tasks and keeping me on my feet constantly all night long, I’m feeling much better in myself. I’ve eased up on the coffee, got on with my work and had the rare distinction of (almost) being happy at work for a change.

To my new plans regarding my training routine then, and it’s about time I set something into stone now I’m more settled – it’s only taken me 12 years to adjust. Here is what I have come up with, it may need some fine tuning as I go along:

Monday, Tuesday:
No training at all.

Wednesday or Thursday:
A quick “top-up” session (like the one below).

Friday or Saturday:
Cardio or Full upper body workout*
These will alternate depending on what time I have on the relevant days.

Sunday:
Legs session.
Again, if my wife wants to go out on Sunday, the legs workout will be done on Monday. It’s only half an hour, so it won’t tax my energy levels too much for work.

The reason the “or” is present is because it will depend on events such as the school run, if my wife wants to go out, my own Saturday afternoon social time and if I’m too tired. Whatever happens, one of those “either or” days will see some training involved.

I have started this today with a programme which is also revised. This “top up” session is basically a dozen exercises of one set taken to ‘failure’.
My other, big upper body session will focus on two sets from now one featuring the similar set and reps structure as before, without a third set. This will involve going slightly heavier to compensate for it. My legs session will remain as it is.

Here’s today’s quick workout:

Wednesday, 11 Apr 18: Upper body ‘top up’.

DB press:
11x26kg

Smith flat bench press:
18x50kg

Chest press:
23x50kg

Shoulder press:
9x40kg

Pec dec:
27x40kg

Triceps pulldown:
22x59kg

Single DB press:
30x46kg

Tricep extensions:
15x55kg

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
26x40kg

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
22x45kg

Machine curls:
16x35kg

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
14x38kg

E-Z preacher curl, wide grip:
18x23kg

Many exercises featured added weight from last time as only the one set as done.

40 mins.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Unfortunately Surfermom, and all who dare to enter this place of blood, sweat, and tears, my extracted tooth is causing me more pain out than it ever did in....Does that make sense?...So acting on advice from the NHS (a print off thrust in my hand when leaving the dentists surgery) I have avoided any athletic activity....Until now...To avoid bouncing off the walls I must take myself out, despite the foggy, drizzly and depressing weather..
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 12:56 PM

Aaaawwww Foxy, toothache is vile

Didn't your dentist advise which painkillers were suitable?
It used to be Codis for tooth pain...

Just back from my 3 mile walk, found it hard going today, had to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other!

Next week we're walking to a different place and it'll be more like 5 -6 miles , worried I'm not up to it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-04-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Aaaawwww Foxy, toothache is vile

Didn't your dentist advise which painkillers were suitable?
It used to be Codis for tooth pain...

Just back from my 3 mile walk, found it hard going today, had to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other!

Next week we're walking to a different place and it'll be more like 5 -6 miles , worried I'm not up to it.
Don't worry Ruthio, you'll be fine......
I find that a 200mg Ibuprofen will keep me pain free for up to six hours, but I was feeling a lot better this morning and have managed without. Hence my forage out into the rain.
I must have jogged about 90% of the three mile route down the side of the canal and 'touch Wood' no after effects......But I felt like a novice, and it had me gasping...

Had to take Maddie the cat to the vets today, she's been under the weather just lately and not eating her food....... Turns out she has got a gum infection and had to have a painkiller and antibiotics. While I was there I asked the vet if she could prescribe something for 'Runny Eyes' .....That was for me after getting the bill..... They certainly know how to charge.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 04:47 AM

Hi, everyone! How satisfying it is to sit back and catch up on all things social, physical, and dental with you all We are nothing, if not sophisticated and exciting, are we not?

Ruthio, there have been times that I walked three miles that I felt like the end would bury me and times I ran fifteen and felt like I could run all day. I expect that you just had an off day and your next five mile outing will be altogether different and better. Will you be going with your friends?

Floydy, it sounds like caffeine wasn't doing you any favors, so good on you for backing off a little. One of the things I so like about the people who participate on this thread is that when they decide to do something - and they do it. Whether fitness-oriented people are more inclined to stick to their goals, goal-oriented people are more inclined to commit to fitness activities, having self-disicpline at any age is an attribute I admire very much. It's the chicken or the egg in running shoes!

Chickens, however, do not have teeth - and neither do OGF or I.

While I was on one of my recent drives around the world (ok, so it just felt like it) I suddenly noticed that I had a hole in my tooth not dissimilar in size to a crater in the moon. And because of some unfortunate cosmic connection with the suffering OGF, I too found myself in the dentist's chair with a professional shaking of the head and the announcement that, "This molar has to go." The only difference is that the extraction has to be delayed to work out and implant, and for me to sell off a kidney, a dog, and half of my real estate to pay for the blasted thing. OGF, I am really sorry you are so sore, and it is your shoulder I will cry on when I get on to losing my favorite chewing molar...

Ugh, how horrible to read, you all are thinking, and how far off topic can one get? With a hard tug on the steering wheel, we are back on course...

Sometimes I wonder why I tolerate all the complications of living where I do, and being so far from my family - until I go outside. The location of today's run was a barrier island comprising a part of our nearby national park for a short but blissful 4.5 miles. The road points east, straight and paved, bordered by dunes that look like mounds of sugar flecked with sea oats and and anchoring vines. Although this island is moderately long, it is very narrow - in places less than a hundred yards across. To my left was the sound where shrimp and sailboats took to the protected, deep cobalt water, and to my left was the gulf where men fished along the shore and happy tourists, slathered in sunscreen, stretched out like languid lizards broiling in the sun, until their skin turned lobster pink.

The first two miles were rough, but on cue, my heart recognized the routine and settled in for miles three and four. I settled into a quick but easy pace uphill, anticipating the downhill return and the wind and sun at my back. While I started out feeling like a stiff, middle-aged woman, by the time I finished, I felt like an agile... middle-aged woman . Well, that's something, right! .

I keep keep humming, "I'm back in the saddle again...."

Page 140 of 370 « First < 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 190 240 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top