Join for free
Page 228 of 370 « First < 128 178 218 226 227 228 229 230 238 278 328 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Final run of 2018 managed to fit an eight in before driving off to Scarborough. Total for 2018 = 849.8.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Final run of 2018 managed to fit an eight in before driving off to Scarborough. Total for 2018 = 849.8.....
Good man Bob
Enjoy Scarborough mate. We've booked near the Spa for a week in June
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Cheers Floydy, arrived safely in some very mild weather, should be good for my New Years Day run if it stays like this.....
We're staying at the 'Palm Court' just round the corner from the Grand.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Cheers Floydy, arrived safely in some very mild weather, should be good for my New Years Day run if it stays like this.....
We're staying at the 'Palm Court' just round the corner from the Grand.
Enjoy your break Bob!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 10:50 PM

Took my new shoes out for walk - did about 4 miles all together - some of it carrying shopping - so that's stamina and weight training taken care of for today !!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 02:47 AM

Silver Tabby! So happy to see you checking in. Wow! That was some walk. You've earned your dessert most definitely. How dod the shoes do?

Floydy. Thank you for the conscientious reply and the link. I know you are our resident expert on such things, so it's most appreciated. Since triceps are important in surfing, I have to find ways to keep them strong during the colder months when I am not paddling out as often. Besides: bat wings .

OGF, that's a mighty good total for the year , especially with the challenges brought by 2018. I hope you dance this year right into 2019. Have a marvelous time!

After a quick four squeezed in between squalls off the gulf. I would have given it a go, but in the interest of not getting sand blasted and soaked to the bone, I decided to cut it to four.

I passed my goal by inches this year. A few setbacks caused me to stop watching my monthly totals closely, but what do you know, I did it - on Christmas day, no less. I'm just happy that I'll be out there one more year.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-12-2018, 02:51 PM

Thanks Mags, and well done to Silver Tabby and Surfermom...If it aint done now, we'll try again next year...(tomorrow)...Feeling a bit subdued this year for some reason, and my stomach hasn't agreed with the Hollandaise Sauce that last nights Salmon was swimming in....

Not really looking forward to tonight. I'm either getting too old for drinking and staying up late, or done it all before and it's getting a bit like 'Groundhog Day'....Sorry for being boring..

Happy New Year everyone, and I'll see you next year....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Nice to see your new boots holding out well for your walk, Tabby. Great to see you in here

Bob - I'm sure you'll enjoy tonight mate once you get into the swing of things. No need to get blathered to have a good time

Suzie - Great achievement on your final tally for the year, plus a quick 4-miler in the bag too

Everybody have a great night out, whatever you're doing

- - - - - - - - - -

My final trip to the gym this year saw me finally catch-up in a round about way with my Christmas training programme. If you’ve been following this since I began my initial session two weeks ago on the 16th December, you will have spotted along the way that my original programme for all of this ended up being changed virtually each time I carried out a routine.
This was due to a number of reasons, mostly in part because things cropped up and I wasn’t able to perform the particular workout that respective day.

But it’s no matter, as you’ll see that between my proposed list below and the actual routines carried out on the re-numbered version that it was all completed, apart from perhaps the one planned extra cardio session. But I certainly made up for everything by putting in the time and the graft to end up with my final effort today.
Here’s the two lists to compare if you wish:

Christmas Training Programme - Planned
Sun 16: Day 1: Arms + Legs only, intensive
Tue 18: Day 2: Light session, to select from list
Wed 19: Day 3: Strength session
Fri 21: Day 4: Cardio only, a.m.
Sun 23: Day 5: Intensive long session (full body)
Mon 24: Day 6: High reps only (light, full body, a.m.
Thu 27: Day 7: Upper body, intensive
Fri 28: Day 8: Legs + cardio
Sun 30: Day 9: Full body intensive

Christmas Training Programme - Actual
Sun 16: Day 1: Arms only, intensive (7’s); 1hr. 20mins.
Tue 18: Day 2: Legs (7’s); upper body, light; 55mins.
Mon 24: Days 3&4 (double session): Strength session / Intensive fixed weight session; 2hr. 15mins.
Wed 26: Days 5&6 (double session): Legs; Quick-fire alternative session; 1hr. 20mins.
Fri 28: Day 7: Cardio; 45mins.
Sat 29: Day 8: Final Upper body – intensive; 2hr. 35mins.
Mon 31: Day 9: Legs – intensive; 55mins.

Onwards then, and to today’s final session which was a very intensive workout for the legs. As I mentioned earlier, I was to add a short cardio exertion afterwards but I was utterly bazooka’d from the hammering of the legs that I ditched that in favour of living until 2019. Here’s the gory details:

Christmas Training Programme Day 9* (renumbered*)
Monday 31/12/18: FINAL SESSION; Legs - intensive; 55mins.
(All weights in kilogrammes)

Incline press:
20x150, 20x150, 20x150
12x200, 12x200, 12x200
8x250, 8x250, 8x250
6x300
5x350
*Finishing this first exercise with a massive 350kgs for five reps showing my ego that I can still reach the heavy weights when required. Climbing off this with legs like jelly but looking massively developed was both a good and bad thing

Sled leg press:
25x150
10x200, 10x200, 10x200, 10x200, 10x200
50x120
*In true sado-masochistic style I made this even more difficult by not dropping the weight but pausing it at the top of the movement between sets whilst I caught my breath. Wobbles were actively present.

Seated ham curls:
25x40, 15x50, 10x60, 7x70
8x60, 12x50, 18x40, 30x30

Leg extensions:
20x50, 12x75, 10x90
8x100, 7x100, 6x100
15x100 (‘bounce flexes’)
12x60, 30x30
*Like the sled press, I paused the weight on the maximum stack weight lifts of 100kgs and carried on. The term ‘bounce flexes’ used above was for an additional set of the full weight but not doing full repetitions, but lifting the weight so that the thighs were fully flexed ‘bouncing’ the stack for 15 reps.

Adductor:
25x60

Abductor:
25x60

That was an extremely sweat-inducing, leg-testing workout which was even enjoyable in a strangely perverse way. Time for a good few days rest now before I start my new programmes…more about those tomorrow.

Tonight I have a fancy dress party to attend, so it should be a New Year’s Eve to remember. I reckon I’ll be back in here sometime tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks for reading. Have a great night tonight everybody and a very happy and niggle-free 2019
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 06:00 PM

Nice job, on the legs, Floydy. I don't think a run, surf session, or workout has ever gone as planned - some better, some worse - but those plans are what motivate you to get out the door. I think you've done spectacularly well during your time off, and congratulate you for the leg work - the part of the body that I understand that some guys miss all too often. Enjoy your evening out!

I am sitting here waiting for this stationary front to budge just a little so I can take my daughter out for the last run of the year. I never skip the 31st because I think it sets the tone for the next year. I'll report in later if my anti-rain dance (no you don't want to see it ) is effective.

Have a enjoyable time with your lovely wives tonight, gentlemen. You are good sports for going all out to make the evening a nice one for them!

Cheers to all the good people who check in here!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-01-2019, 06:11 PM

What a great start to 2019, eight miles in the bag already and it was only going to be a five....

After partying until the lights went out on the dance floor, I dragged this sorry ass into bed around 1:30am. Hung up my suit until next year, laid out my running kit so as not to wake sleeping beauty, and set the alarm for 6:30am.....

It was actually 6:15am when I peered through baggy bloodshot eyes and out of the window of the third floor bedroom of this Scarborough hotel. It revealed a mild dry morning with just a hint of a breeze but no apparent evidence that the first day of 2019 was going to get light any time soon.

After doing what runners do before an early morning excursion, I stumbled out of the hotel and onto the pavement outside. I sheepishly descended the short hill and padded over what we refer to as the ‘suicide bridge’ a short walkway linking one side of the valley to the other and has attracted rather more than its fair share of desperate people who eventually found a solution to their problems.

A short flight of steps (about fifty) took me up to the top of the hill on the far side of the valley and a wide footpath running alongside a row of posh hotels on my right. On my left a wooded hill dropped steeply to a lower path and the white crashing foam of the North Sea. The odd shards of light stabbing the horizon from a distant lighthouse, and a rapidly waning moon now in its last quarter.

I turned inland down a street named ‘Avenue Victoria’ an unusual way of pronouncing a street name in a North Yorkshire seaside town, it made me feel more like running through the suburbs of Paris....A steady climb up this Parisian sounding street leads me onto the lower flanks of ‘Oliver’s Mount’ although testing, this steady climb is not too taxing, and well within the capability of an ageing runner.

The taxing bit comes as I leave the houses and the glare of streetlights and enter into the ‘Magic Forest’ I can’t see where I’m putting my feet now but assume the road will provide a good sound foundation, and it does. With trees dropping away to the right, and a steep bank filled with more trees rising to my left and containing the road I will eventually ascend to, I can hear nothing but the gentle padding of my shoes on the tarmac, my lungs with their increasing quest to provide oxygen to legs that are deteriorating fast, and mysterious sounds coming from the pitch black undergrowth either side as unidentified critters scurry for shelter at my arrival, hence ‘Magic Forest’.....

I eventually reach the top and as a smile replaces a grimace with the realisation that once again I am victor of this annual test of resilience. As daybreak splits the Eastern sky I scamper down the other side of this great mound and join the seafront. Here I make a decision, feeling good, I decide to run the entire length of Scarborough marine drive, and instead of cutting off to return to the hotel I continue until I reach the end of the North Bay and return through the town turning this moderately satisfying start to 2019 into a proper celebration of things to expect in this new year.....

Page 228 of 370 « First < 128 178 218 226 227 228 229 230 238 278 328 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top