Join for free
Page 285 of 1676 « First < 185 235 275 283 284 285 286 287 295 335 385 785 1285 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 10:08 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Does this comment make me a Scab?
Not really, but whatever you do don't scratch it.

Thinking of you RJ and wishing you all the best.

We were talking in the pub today about insanity and does it really run in families as everyone believed years ago, I have no shame in admitting that a first cousin of mine spent his entire adult life in a mental institution, nut houses as they were called by most folks around here.
My relation was 22, in good health, a fine looking man, had a decent job and a girlfriend, things were looking up, but suddenly his jet black hair went grey, almost overnight, for some reason nobody could explain, then it started to fall out in clumps until it was all gone, the result was that he wouldn’t leave the house, his whole personality changed and he became a recluse, after a few attempts at suicide he was taken to a mental institution and after spending many years living there he became institutionalised, he was happy there and there he stayed until his death a few years ago, God rest his soul.

We waffled on to other things, someone said it was terrible to refer to mental hospitals as nut houses, I agreed, but back then it didn’t upset anyone, actually there were worse names for those places than nut houses.
A nut house can be a happy place for some, for example there were a lot of girls who worked in the confectionary factory in town (including my own missus) and they would be shifted around the factory to different departments, when they were busy making the bars of whole nut a lot of girls were needed in the nut house, Phyllis would smile as she left for work on her bike “Mother I’ll be late home all this week, I’m in the nut house again”
Same with the fella’s when they were on the sauce, or in the jam house, the onion house, and I believe the worst job of all was in the jelly house, if you knew what went into that you’d never eat jelly again. Those in the biscuit department were permanent so they usually went crackers after a few years, but they all had a good laugh about it, what else can you do, cry?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 06:29 AM

Yes, Confectionary Factories, back in the day, provided workers with social facilities, after a Hard Days Work, it must have been good, to have a drink and relax, in the "Mars Bar".
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Doctor Who is to be played by a FEMALE?????

You fkn WHAT?!?!?!?

So,in that case,the next James Bond'll have to be a black Mexican Islamic lesbian in a wheelchair!
Sherlock Holmes'll be played as a gay,disabled Pakistani vegetarian!

FFS,where does this 'oooh,we mustn't upset the minorities" bullshit end and the "It's not a crime to be white,hetero and British" begin?

We are all just ORGANISMS...just slithering around buggering up the host planet we rely on for survival. NONE of us would've made it this far,without the genius of the bloke who invented the bucket....SOD the wheel!

So,SOD OFF & take your 'political correctness' with you.

Doctor Who is a BLOKE!

[ask Patrick Troughton]

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

"
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 09:53 PM

As my old Spanish friend used to say “Eees terrible”
I can understand your frustration Pug, but I have long since thrown in the towel with the politically correct crowd, I care not if the next Dr Who is a blind Frog or a three legged Giraffe as long as I’m not forced to watch it, all I require at this stage of life is peace and quiet and the freedom to do a bit of work when I feel like it.

The confectionary game has gone to the dogs altogether, I bought 6 cherry tarts in Lidi today for the wife and me to have with a cup of coffee, only one cherry was in the centre, the others were all over the place, no pride in their work anymore, I think a letter to The Times is in order here.

I’d imagine something similar to this could happen to girls who take up kick boxing.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1543.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	3641  
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:08 PM

I blame Mr Kipling, he has got sloppy, a central Cherry is not too much to ask, is it?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-08-2017, 10:17 PM

It would have been good to have been named after a lake, Serpentine Spitty, perhaps?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It would have been good to have been named after a lake, Serpentine Spitty, perhaps?
You will always be remembered in "The Spitwick Papers"
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-08-2017, 09:07 PM

I see I’m a chatterbox now, not bad at all, but I’d sooner be a Waffler.

What does it mean to be a waffler?
“waffler. Noun. (plural wafflers) One who waffles, or changes sides or positions frequently. One who waffles or rambles; a vague, unfocused speaker or writer”

That’s me, a waffler, maybe I should have called this thread “Leisurely Waffles” God how I love to waffle.
Back in the 1990’s there was a big row in the Dail when Bertie Aherne called the leader of the opposition a Waffler, it’s water off a duck to me, I’m pure waffle.

I remember as a boy asking my Dad what a waffler was, he put it in rhyme as he sometimes did “He can’t just call a spade a spade, he has to tell you how it’s made”
I have to admit I’m like that, I’m inclined to ramble off in all directions, I find it boring to stick to the same subject all the time.
We once spent a whole afternoon in the local talking about bucket handles, well it started off with a bucket handle when Charlie Mann said his wife was carrying a bucket of water out to the garden to water some plants, the handle snapped off the plastic bucket and her dress, legs, and shoes were drenched, they don’t make buckets handles like they used to…blah blah blah, and on it went in that vein, steel buckets were the best thing since fried bread, brown bread tasted better back in the 50’s, had anyone still got an old ration book left (yes certain foods were rationed over here after the war), we were then steered into talking about music, not pop music, Bucket Handel’s music, betcha didn’t know “Bucket” was Handel’s nickname, then on to the powdered wigs they wore, ending up as men usually do with women, 18th century women that is, did the wives nag as much then as they do now, that kind of thing. Now if that ain’t waffling I don’t know what else it is, all over a bucket handle, the Butterfly effect was only in the ha’penny place.

By the way I’m having a waffle for an autogwraph of Jonathan Woss I got when I was in London sevwral years ago.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Not really, but whatever you do don't scratch it.

We were talking in the pub today about insanity and does it really run in families as everyone believed years ago, I have no shame in admitting that a first cousin of mine spent his entire adult life in a mental institution, nut houses as they were called by most folks around here.
My relation was 22, in good health, a fine looking man, had a decent job and a girlfriend, things were looking up, but suddenly his jet black hair went grey, almost overnight, for some reason nobody could explain, then it started to fall out in clumps until it was all gone, the result was that he wouldn’t leave the house, his whole personality changed and he became a recluse, after a few attempts at suicide he was taken to a mental institution and after spending many years living there he became institutionalised, he was happy there and there he stayed until his death a few years ago, God rest his soul.

We waffled on to other things, someone said it was terrible to refer to mental hospitals as nut houses, I agreed, but back then it didn’t upset anyone, actually there were worse names for those places than nut houses.
A nut house can be a happy place for some, for example there were a lot of girls who worked in the confectionary factory in town (including my own missus) and they would be shifted around the factory to different departments, when they were busy making the bars of whole nut a lot of girls were needed in the nut house, Phyllis would smile as she left for work on her bike “Mother I’ll be late home all this week, I’m in the nut house again”
Same with the fella’s when they were on the sauce, or in the jam house, the onion house, and I believe the worst job of all was in the jelly house, if you knew what went into that you’d never eat jelly again. Those in the biscuit department were permanent so they usually went crackers after a few years, but they all had a good laugh about it, what else can you do, cry?

I lurk ya tern of phrose Jem as above :

We were talking [you] in the pub today about insanity
I lurk ya turn of phrase Jem you know how to cut a bloke to the quik!!

I have tried contacting the esteemed mad gentleman recently and he is either deed ; mortly wounded or just plain ourish I am not sure witch!! as soon as eh knows yez knows!!

I do take pugs point [do pugs have points or is that poicks?] but I think it is a self -correcting prophecy - you've been trousering us long enough know we will raise you one with the skirt and wrap yuz in a big girls blouse or phrases to that effecct [I must admit I do still have great problems appreciating a slim girl in a pin striped suit and short bryclreemed hair!!]
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

13-08-2017, 07:32 AM

Ah, the Bloke-Bird communiquer conundrum, don't spose it matters really, provided their "intelligence" is not "Artificial".

Page 285 of 1676 « First < 185 235 275 283 284 285 286 287 295 335 385 785 1285 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top