Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 01:12 AM

Re: The land of milk and honey - boomerangs and kangas!

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
who saw the documentary on the Ghan train yesterday ? what boring scenery to look at for 3 days. All they showed was scrub land, 3 whole days looking at it.

If the program was to promote the journey it failed miserly. Even the information along the way was at one side of the screen and too quick to read as it flashed past

Sorry but it has put me off even wanting to visit down under now. Even Alice Springs which should have seemed exciting to go through and have a trip to Ayres rock. Absolutely nothing there to attract visitors
realspeed you suffer from what many first time visitors "I want to see sparkling lights and whizzbangs"

I have shown many UK visitors around and always get your reaction - this place grows on you and then you love it - but it takes time - obviously you're short of it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2018, 11:36 AM

who saw the documentary on the Ghan train yesterday ? what boring scenery to look at for 3 days. All they showed was scrub land, 3 whole days looking at it.

If the program was to promote the journey it failed miserly. Even the information along the way was at one side of the screen and too quick to read as it flashed past

Sorry but it has put me off even wanting to visit down under now. Even Alice Springs which should have seemed exciting to go through and have a trip to Ayres rock. Absolutely nothing there to attract visitors
I watched a documentary a while back where the comedian John Bishop cycled a couple of hundred miles up the East coast of Australia from Sydney to, I think, Brisbane. He's now into his late forties, but he had done the ride for charity some years back when he was eighteen.

His first ride was completed as fast as they could and missed most the beautiful scenery, so on this ride he would detour and spend time visiting the many places of interest on route that he didn't have the time to visit the first time. As I followed his ride I was so envious and wished I could have accompanied him.

Being such a large and diverse country, I would never be put off visiting Australia by the journey described on the Ghan Train. In fact, if you love trains and railways, It's probably the train that you would be enjoying, as much as the scenery. On a cruise there are many hundreds of miles covered without ever catching the sight of land, but it's the thrill of sailing and the ships amenities that provide most of the enjoyment of cruising.

It has been said that the English have a love of desolate places, and I for one can see the magic.......
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 01:26 AM

We drove from Alice to Uluru visiting Kings Canyon and other places on the way.Magic.It looks empty but there's a surprising amount of flora and fauna out there.
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 11:32 AM

...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....!!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 01:06 AM

Absolutely nothing there to attract visitors
depends what visitors want? - I remember many years ago over here in the southern part of this state [ in which UK can be slotted 11 times !! ] there was set up a 'typical' elizabethean style village with appropriately dressed moving humans and shops! - I was never quite sure whether it was a 'history lesson' gone wrong or 'just what the UK visitors might like?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

05-11-2018, 01:16 AM

mango ripe - mango madness season up here were parrots and humans get tipsy and sore heads!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
We drove from Alice to Uluru visiting Kings Canyon and other places on the way.Magic.It looks empty but there's a surprising amount of flora and fauna out there.
Did you pass Curtis Springs Station ?
We went there and Uluru and Kings Canyon .
It is beautiful but two days is probaby enough.
We thought about the Ghan but it went from Melbourne and is horrendous expensive and I did consider the boredom factor too.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 04:31 AM

Yes we passed Curtin Springs,did not stop there but visited The Olgas and another gorge the name of which escapes me.And a few road houses one of which had a pet emu called Ernie.
They had the first rain for a long time when we were there with waterfalls cascading down the sides of Uluru.It looked fantastic but we couldn't climb it.(Much to my relief.)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2018, 08:05 AM

Sorry I meant Curtin my iPad auto correct has gone into free fall.
When we went people were asked not to climb Uluru as it was disrespectful to the beliefs of the Aboriginal people .
We were ok with that it looks a dangerous and spooky old rock.
Was surprised we saw zero Aboriginal people in the park the information centre was not being run by the a Chinese girl .
Did meet some along the road they looked very poor and asked us for petrol .
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

09-11-2018, 09:41 AM

Ah just heard the first rumbles of thunder for the 2018 cyclone season across the top end - I think they have already had rumbles over the east of the top end but this is the west - rain is on the way! that's when we go out and dance in the streets!

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top