Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:19 AM

What to put in a planter.

I must say right away I know zilch about gardening but last year I won in a competition a shed, a solid wooden bench seat and a largish planter (H40cm x W182cm).

I got some bags of soil but foolishly mixed it with some from the base area of the shed which was removed and this had grass in it, so although the plants I used seem to thrive so did the grass in fact it did too well.

So I have decided to start again. I will buy fresh soil to fill the planter but would like advice on what to plant. I am looking to encourage bees and the like to the plants. Don't have a car so I will be buying online if links can be provided. Would love a bit of colour most of the year if possible.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:39 AM

Re: What to put in a planter.

We like winter flowering pansies they seem to thrive and flower for months and months here.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:48 AM

We find our local garden centres are very good on advice about what to plant and when.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We find our local garden centres are very good on advice about what to plant and when.
Miles away from a 'local' garden centre which is why I am hoping to get suggestions here that I can buy online. I can get the soil from the likes of Amazon, just the plants I need help on.
Dave H
United Kingdom
Dave H is male  Dave H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:18 PM

How about some nice Wallflower plants. They would over winter well . And are easy to grow. Should flower in the spring
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

23-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H ->
How about some nice Wallflower plants. They would over winter well . And are easy to grow. Should flower in the spring
What are wallflower plants?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Hello Mr Fraggle it's getting a bit late for planting spring flowering things now .
My wallflowers have been in for weeks and they may be difficult to find for sale now.

You may still be able to buy Pansies, Violas, Primulas and some spring bulbs to plant a display. You can buy these in some supermarkets or places like B&Q

To plant a more permanent display I would wait for the spring .
You will need some drainage holes if you are planting directly into the trough and some drainage material like large pebbles or broken crocks then a good compost on top.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
What are wallflower plants?
You can get two types one is a woody perpetual flowering variety, we have two lilac and one bronzy colour, they do best in the ground not a pot as they get a bit big. The others are a biannual you may not find them at this time as they are usually planted earlier than this, beautiful colours and they have a nice scent too. If you google them you will find pictures i seem unable to post links at the moment.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

23-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello Mr Fraggle it's getting a bit late for planting spring flowering things now .
My wallflowers have been in for weeks and they may be difficult to find for sale now.

You may still be able to buy Pansies, Violas, Primulas and some spring bulbs to plant a display. You can buy these in some supermarkets or places like B&Q

To plant a more permanent display I would wait for the spring .
You will need some drainage holes if you are planting directly into the trough and some drainage material like large pebbles or broken crocks then a good compost on top.
Certainly in no hurry as I need to do much research, really looking for a wild flower display rather than anything else though.
Thanks for the advice on drainage though there are holes in the bottom but a bit pebbles would not go amiss.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You can get two types one is a woody perpetual flowering variety, we have two lilac and one bronzy colour, they do best in the ground not a pot as they get a bit big. The others are a biannual you may not find them at this time as they are usually planted earlier than this, beautiful colours and they have a nice scent too. If you google them you will find pictures i seem unable to post links at the moment.
Hi Julie there is a dwarf variety of wallflowers now which do well in pots, I have 6 pots all doing well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top