Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 09:56 AM

Re: Cruises

We have done several cruises ie mediterranean twice- baltic- caribbean- River Nile- Norwegian Fjords and next year Japan

Best holidays ever
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 10:34 AM

These cruise ships are getting too big and too high out of the water, meaning they have too much 'windage' and notwithstanding stabilizers, would tend to roll like a pig boat in a rising sea.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/11/1...n-cruise-ship/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
This is a piece I wrote a few years ago after taking my first ever (and free!) cruise. Subsequent cruises varied in quality, but this one was so exciting.
Brilliant piece Eccles and enjoyed reading, it certainly sums up life aboard a cruise ship. We're due to visit the Fjords next May so thanks for the 'heads up'.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I nearly forgot to mention the best bit of the cruise for me which was a trip to the parts of the ship passengers normally don't see. The crew quarters, bridge, kitchens, engine rooms, storage areas, offices etc. They charged about $90 for the trip and you had to be pre-approved before boarding (memories of Achille Lauro?) but it was very interesting.
Not too bothered about the crews quarters or kitchens Bruce, but I would love to have a peek at the engines and electrics.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

16-11-2018, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have been on one cruise that my kids organised, it wasn't as bad as I feared but it was quite enough and I never need to go again. Reminded me of Butlins on water with everything done for you but better food. Not my idea of a holiday but ideal for gluttons.

My cabin was very nice with a lounge, bedroom, dressing room, shower, spa and toilet but the best bit was the balcony which was at the rear of the ship and went round the corner I did enjoy that. Apparently it was bigger than my daughter's cabin!

Suffered the same problem as when I went back to UK by ship - the ocean looks exactly the same in the middle as it does at the edges so given a choice I'd rather watch it from land.

(The great thing on the ship to the UK was that booze was dirt cheap whereas on a cruise you pay pub prices)

Too many people all doing the same thing and you can't get off or do something different until you reach a port. No, not for me I like more variety when I travel.
I must admit Bruce, that with twenty four hours food it is very tempting to over indulge.
However, The cruises that I've been on are like floating communities where you can walk around feeling safe and secure. Looking overboard can reveal some interesting spectacles with Dolphins, Whales and other marine life. I've seen turtles and the odd tired sea bird hitching a ride for a mile or two.

It's enforced rest on board ship, and it's not everybody's cup of tea. After leaving a hectic fast paced world with its busy congested roads and lists of jobs as long as your arm, it's nice to leave it all behind for a while and just relax. Life onboard can be as gentle or busy as you wish, with well equipped gyms and heated swimming pools, there is always something for the keep fitter to immerse themselves in, and with full lists of events and fitness classes posted through your door each evening you will have no trouble occupying your time, perhaps learning to dance or attending the various lectures available.

Or just do nothing and stagger up for a late breakfast/lunch, then either read or visit the library and make use of the many computers to email loved ones back home and tell them what a great time you're having.....Or God forbid, post a report on Over 50's.....
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So sorry to hear about your husband Beautiful Filly, but never say never......

Thank you OGF...hubby is settling in and doing quite well now... I like your optimism.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Beautiful Filly, that is such a disappointing story, but you never know. My parents and I are negotiating a cruise right now. In their eighties, this will be my mom's first.

OGF, I concur! Moonlight on the promenade with a little champagne, followed by an early morning with room service on the verandah. Perfect.

Once I figured out the running situation, I was a happy passenger!

Realist, thirty! You must have some phenomenal memories, but...

Whatever you do - don't do the mathematics!

It's been worth it though, I'm sure.

I know Surfermom...I hesitated before posting my reply. But, I know me well enough...to know I'd not go cruising or on any other major vacation alone...

Thank you, surfermom for you lovely response...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 07:01 PM

This ship was steady in force 9 gale,

the pool had to be emptied eventually

Ok on another ship it did roll sideways a bit but not enough to really worry about. all the crew did was fasten down plates etc and stuff fell off shelves in the shops. But absolutely nothing to worry about. It made the voyage interesting

Even on the voyage to the fjords the captain said it was about time they filled in the potholes in the sea. They had to stop a stage show as the mechanical parts of the stage might fail and unsafe for the cast to act
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Not too bothered about the crews quarters or kitchens Bruce, but I would love to have a peek at the engines and electrics.....
I've had the fortune to make such a visit. A few years back there were regularly officers on the dining tables. We landed on the CTO's table on P&O ship Arcadia. CTO is the Chief Technical Officer, the main boss of running the ship itself.
He invited the whole table down below which was very interesting.

Firstly went into the "Control room" down below. Not what I was expecting really. I had imagined something like the bridge of the starship Enterprise, gleaming computer panels, flashing lights etc. It was all very dated, big panels, large buttons, some gaffer tape here and there. Quite a contrast to the actual Ship's Bridge up top.

Then it was down some tricky very steep metal steps into the bowels of the ship. Very noisy, quite cramped in places. Saw the large engines and prop shaft areas, saw the water generation systems but the most memorable thing really was something I could only describe as the "poo shaker" !

Imagine if you will a large flat cylinder about 5 meters across and 2 meters high sitting on a tripod of 3 springs. A large pipe fed labelled "sewage" came in from above and piped human waste into the cylinder. Then the entire machine was mechanically vibrated / shaken constantly which is presumably to ensure that all the poo was nicely broken up and turned into sludge. Absolutely delightful !

All in all a very interesting visit. A stark contrast below to the gleaming hotel like conditions above that passengers enjoy.

I was lucky to have been on the CTO's table and gotten this visit free. I wouldn't want to pay £70+ for it TBH.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
This ship was steady in force 9 gale,

the pool had to be emptied eventually

Ok on another ship it did roll sideways a bit but not enough to really worry about. all the crew did was fasten down plates etc and stuff fell off shelves in the shops. But absolutely nothing to worry about. It made the voyage interesting

Even on the voyage to the fjords the captain said it was about time they filled in the potholes in the sea. They had to stop a stage show as the mechanical parts of the stage might fail and unsafe for the cast to act

Q.E.D. You have very ably demonstrated that in a rising sea, some ships are far from being 'safe'.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top