Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Re: Organ Donors

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Personally I hate the idea of giving organs even though I would be dead and know nothing about it. My worry is that people who choose to opt out will be made to feel guilty about it.
Surely it will be between you and your GP or donor centre, you don't have to disclose your choice to anyone else.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Surely it will be between you and your GP or donor centre, you don't have to disclose your choice to anyone else.
I suppose so but society and the media will probably make things awkward for those that don't wish to.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 04:49 PM

I wonder what would happen if some unfortunate soul has a fatal accident but didn't happen to have his "Opt Out" card on him?

If some of his organs were whipped out, then a relative (for example) said that should never have been done as he was an "Opt Outer", would anyone be held responsible? Would it be a crime?

It made me wonder - because we don't have to tell authorities we don't want other possessions stolen, do we!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I wonder what would happen if some unfortunate soul has a fatal accident but didn't happen to have his "Opt Out" card on him?

If some of his organs were whipped out, then a relative (for example) said that should never have been done as he was an "Opt Outer", would anyone be held responsible? Would it be a crime?

It made me wonder - because we don't have to tell authorities we don't want other possessions stolen, do we!
The way technology is advancing Mups, perhaps they will just have to scan us with a smart phone and the answer will pop up on screen.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Two things first we've had to carry cards saying yes for many years so I can't see why it shouldn't be done the other way and second there will be a register I imagine so all NHS facilities will be able to see who is on it and who isn't.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Do our bits have a sell by date?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
No, just a 'use by' date.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

"Use By" or "Sell By" I wonder?

Mine might have "Best Before" perhaps.

That gives a bit of leeway.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 05:25 PM

I understood the opt out system in England was going to be like the "soft opt-out" system they have in Wales.

It's not compulsory, it's just changing from a "deemed refusal" to a "deemed consent" if you haven't already registered a choice.

Basically, if you definitely don't want to be an organ donor or don't want to donate specific organs, you can choose to opt out by registering your choice on the NHS Organ Donor Register.
If you wish, you can nominate a member of your family to make Organ donation decisions on your behalf if the situation arises on your death - you do this via the NHS Organ Donor Register too.

If you definitely wish to be an organ donor, you can still opt in, via the NHS Organ Donor Register, to ensure your wishes are recorded and leave your family in no doubt.

If you haven't registered to opt in or opt out, then you fall into the category of "deemed consent"
Under "deemed consent" in Wales, your family will still be advised and have the power to over-ride the deemed consent if they are strongly against it. Not sure if this will apply in England but I presume so.
Personally, I think people would be well advised to register their choices themselves, whether they want to opt in or opt out, so both the doctors and your family are left in no doubt of your choice.

You do not have to carry an "opt out" card or an "opt in" card because the NHS Organ Donor Register will be checked to see whether you have registered a choice.
To register your choice on the Organ Donor Register, you will just have to go onto the relevant website and complete your details and your options.
I think they are also bringing out a new App for it and, if you don't have a computer, there will be other methods to Register.

I think the information on how to register your opt-out will be well publicised before it all comes into Law. It will work in pretty much the same way as you would currently register your choice to opt-in as an Organ Donor - just go to the NHS Organ Donor Register website.
You can probably already register your refusal now if you want - you can certainly opt in to donate All or just Some specified organs now - and I notice the site also contains an opt-out choice.
It only takes a couple of minutes to register your choice - and you can amend your options on the Register too, if you change your mind in the future.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-11-2018, 05:36 PM

Thank you Boot.
An informative post.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top