Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 05:59 PM

Re: Organ Donors

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What are your thoughts about the idea they hope will become law in the new year, about compulsory organ donorship?
There is already a huge nefarious black market for organs.

Making organ donorship compulsory would massively feed that black market.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There is already a huge nefarious black market for organs.

Making organ donorship compulsory would massively feed that black market.

As has already been pointed out, organ donation IS NOT compulsory, merely one needs to 'opt out' rather than at present opting in.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:07 PM

It might not be compulsory ... but unless I've misunderstood it still amounts to presumed consent if someone does not categorically opt out.
In any other commercial enterprise that would be called the hard sell.

Personally, I'd be more interested to know whether they're still giving dead smoker's lungs to non-smokers. I always found it odd that they did.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:28 PM

The Opting Out scheme has been in place in Wales for a few years now
But unless you discuss your wishes with your close family members it's meaningless, as they would still have the final say.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
It might not be compulsory ... but unless I've misunderstood it still amounts to presumed consent if someone does not categorically opt out.
In any other commercial enterprise that would be called the hard sell.

Personally, I'd be more interested to know whether they're still giving dead smoker's lungs to non-smokers. I always found it odd that they did.
My thoughts exactly - it's the same as somebody being presumed guilty until proven innocent in abuse cases.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 10:05 PM

I doubt if 50+ year old organs would be of much use anyway so I'm not going to worry about it.
I've carried a Donor card for years and if anything is of use to anyone they are welcome to it, I'd be happy to help.

Except my brain that is, I don't want them transplanting it into a politician's head or using it for experiments.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top