Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 01:24 PM

Re: Smart meters yay or nay.

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
What you've been told by your fuel supplier is bullsh*t Julie darlin'. I live in a flat and I have a smart meter. The main reason I have one is that my gas meter, which is situated out in the garden (belonging to my neighbour in the basement) is now too difficult for me to get to and read, so now the two meters (gas and electricity) are being read continuously by my supplier and they send me quarterly accounts which I pay as and when.
No I think it's something to do with where my meter is in relation to my flat. it has to be close by I'm told. Ours you have to go down two flights of stairs to bottom floor through a couple of doors and a lobby to get to it. I'm sure they said it was further than 22 foot away so that was the problem.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No I think it's something to do with where my meter is in relation to my flat. it has to be close by I'm told. Ours you have to go down two flights of stairs to bottom floor through a couple of doors and a lobby to get to it. I'm sure they said it was further than 22 foot away so that was the problem.

Julie darlin' - my gas meter is more than 28 feet away from my electricity meter - when they fitted the smart meter, they placed a device inside the gas cabinet which communicates with my electricity meter and provides the necessary figures to my supplier.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Julie darlin' - my gas meter is more than 28 feet away from my electricity meter - when they fitted the smart meter, they placed a device inside the gas cabinet which communicates with my electricity meter and provides the necessary figures to my supplier.
Interesting I will see if I can get some more sense out of them then. They certainly said 22 foot previously.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
That's because the energy companies are under immense pressure by the government to roll out millions of smart meters before 2020.

You'd be an absolute fool to accept ANY smart meter to be installed at your property. If you do so, falling for the energy company spiel and government BS, then you will end up paying far far more for your energy usage. Your bills will likely double or triple. It won't happen straight away, because the energy companies want to get millions and millions of meters out there before the hammer falls.

Problem is, once you accept a Smart Meter, there is no way back. You will NEVER be able to go back to an old style meter.

What's the issue with Smart Meters?

There are multiple issues including serious health issues, but the main issue is the effect to your bills.

Smart Meters are being rolled out for one reason only, which is to enable the energy companies (and all associated parasites in that food chain) to make $BILLIONS from unsuspecting members of the public.

How are they going to do it?

They are going to introduce VARIABLE RATE BILLING.

Currently, as you know, you simply give your energy company the number on your meters which tells them how many energy units you have used. There is a set charge for each unit used and that's what you get billed for. All very simple, very fair, and has been in place for years.

When VARIABLE RATE BILLING is brought in all that will change and the change will be harsh and dramatic. What they will do with VRB is split the day up into different usage periods for example, Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Overnight etc.

They will then impose DIFFERENT CHARGE RATES for the energy you use in those different periods.

They will only be able to do that BECAUSE YOU TOOK A SMART METER.

Your existing meter has no idea WHEN you used your energy. It just records the number of units used.

A Smart Meter logs every bit of energy you use at EVERY MINUTE of EVERY DAY. So the Smart Meter knows what energy you used in the morning, in the afternoon and most importantly at night.

Can you guess which period of the day the energy companies will deem to be PEAK PERIOD and which they will charge an absolute fortune for ?

Yep it will be later afternoon and evening, when the kids all come home from school and log onto the internet with their laptops or get on the playstation consoles etc. The time when most people come home from work, put the kettle on multiple times through the evening, use the cooker and hob to cook dinner, have the TV on most of the night and have the lights on.

Understand this, the energy you use in that single Peak Period will be charged at such a high rate that your bill for just that period of the day will be the same or more than your entire daily bill now. That is how and why your energy bills will skyrocket IF, and ONLY IF you are foolish enough to accept a Smart Meter.

The entire Smart meter "project" is a massive business that will generate $BILLIONS for these parasitic energy moguls.

Do not be a victim imho.

Refuse a Smart Meter.

No-one can force you to have one, absolutely no-one. Some energy companies are actually lying to customers saying that they ARE mandatory or that eventually everyone is going to have to have one. Total fabrication.

The government has issued letters to people clearly stating that Smart Meters ARE NOT MANDATORY.

As to your question about the impact to your suppliers and ability to switch, there ARE issues.

There are a ton of old Mark 1 Smart Meters out there which are already obsolete and which will be no good going forward.
If you really do want to accept a meter and have your energy bills doubled/tripled then insist on the latest style meter. This may well impact your ability to switch suppliers going forward.

Mark my words though. The Smart Meter will become the next great scandal in a few years time. Just like Endowment Mortgages and PPI. The entire thing is a huge scam being marketed on the false precepts of saving energy and forcing (encouraging) people to use energy at night rather than in the peak evening periods.

Fire services are already hugely concerned because they believe it is wholly dangerous to leave washing machines, tumble dryers and the like running during the night when you are asleep.

The government's spiel is a load of Billy BS I'm afraid. This entire con is just a way to allow energy companies to introduce VARIABLE RATE BILLING, nothing more.

With the existing meters they can't bring in VRB

Smart Meters ENABLE VRB to be brought in.

Read more here:

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/

ATB
Maybe in ‘your’ country nobody can force you to get a smart metre but here in Canada our metres are owned by the electrical company and we had no choice. What I did to protect us from the health issues related to them, was bought a smart metre cover or protector.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Maybe in ‘your’ country nobody can force you to get a smart metre but here in Canada our metres are owned by the electrical company and we had no choice. What I did to protect us from the health issues related to them, was bought a smart metre cover or protector.
They will force us eventually, newer homes are fitted I believe as a matter of course. I am just puzzled how they can do it when they say the technology isn't there for so many of us. They'll have to fine themselves for failing to meet the targets set.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 03:08 PM

I have no need for a smart meter and will resist all attempts by my supplier to attempt to fit one! We do NOT have to have one.

I do my own readings when they are required and can see immediately what is owing, and then I pay online. Job done.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 03:09 PM

I'm on a pay as you go meter,I wonder if I would benefit,from a pay as you go smart meter?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 03:18 PM

Well thank you all so far. It confirms what I have been told in the past about these smart meters. Of course it makes sense that VRB could be used to increase my bills in the future. That alone is a deterrent for me not to have one.
This morning when I tried to give my meter readings online, it did not work. It came back telling me that the information I supplied (customer reference number, postcode, email address.) was not recognised. Even when I went to enter the reference number via the keypad on the phone 📞 it still would not work.
That gave me the only other option to phone and talk to a live person, so that I was given the speil to have a smart meter.
It all makes sense now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I have no need for a smart meter and will resist all attempts by my supplier to attempt to fit one! We do NOT have to have one.

I do my own readings when they are required and can see immediately what is owing, and then I pay online. Job done.
I'd just like to see who's using what in household with several people it's nice to know who is using the electric without any thought
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 03:54 PM

Since I've had my smart meter, my fuel bills have actually gone DOWN!!!
Reading comprehension lessons for you it seems.

I clearly said in my post that the sky rocketing bills won't happen straight away. The reason your bills are currently ok is because VARIABLE RATE BILLING has not yet been implemented in the UK.

We are still in the "Install by stealth" phase of the project, where they are keeping quiet about VRB and it's horrific future impact on customers. If they started coming clean about VRB then no-one (in their right mind) would accept a smart meter and the project would be dead on its feet.

You have my sympathies for having been duped about Smart Meters. Your bills WILL sky rocket in the future when VRB comes in. You will of course somehow blame that on your beloved Scumbag Nasty Party as is your wont. Nevertheless it will be entertaining to watch.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top