Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Re: Brexit Nailed by the Aussies.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That may be so Bruce but in this case it doesn't make her wrong, she's pretty much got it spot on.
No, I am not suggesting she is wrong just giving you some perspective on who she represents however the opinion she expresses is pretty much shared by most commentators here from both the left and right.

Brexit is basically viewed as a massive cock up, it is hard to imagine a worse way of handling it, in fact I would say that it a textbook case for governments worldwide of how not to do something. As I have said before the British government and Brexit has all the fascination of a slow motion train wreck - everybody else is just glad they are only watching from afar.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, I am not suggesting she is wrong just giving you some perspective on who she represents however the opinion she expresses is pretty much shared by most commentators here from both the left and right.

Brexit is basically viewed as a massive cock up, it is hard to imagine a worse way of handling it, in fact I would say that it a textbook case for governments worldwide of how not to do something. As I have said before the British government and Brexit has all the fascination of a slow motion train wreck - everybody else is just glad they are only watching from afar.
I agree. What Brexit has done is to give our useless politicians something to do; something that actually requires a result, as opposed to the rhetorical crap they normally deal in. It has shown them up for what they are.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 03:03 PM

From a newspaper

There’s one question Australia can answer – deep in the innards of this global political upheaval – and a lot hinges on getting that answer right.

As pretty much everyone has observed by now,*Donald Trump, the UK’s pro-Brexit campaign and Australia’s own Pauline Hanson are all backed by broadly similar folk, voters who feel like human collateral damage in the “new” global economy and who are searching for both hope and scapegoats.

Their support allowed Trump to trample facts and decency to win the presidency of the United States and Brexiters to lure Britons to an act of extraordinary self-harm. In Australia the effect was significant but less spectacular – four One Nation seats and a smattering of other independents in the upper house.

There are many, many questions posed by all of this; about how to respond when facts no longer sway arguments; how to properly understand this roiling wave of grievance. But one of them is why the Australian backlash – so far at least – is more muted.
One difference in Australia is that, relatively speaking, we still have a system that leaves fewer people behind.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 11:08 PM

I agree with you. Brexit is indeed a massive cock-up.

But that is not because Brexit is wrong; it is entirely due to our inept politicians, and quite likely because Maybot is feeling that she is safe to do whatever she wants because no-one in their right mind would ever vote for Compo.

Yes, we haven't had any really competent politicians since Maggie was stabbed in the back.

If we manage to leave the EU completely - not BRINO - and things really go tits-up, it will not be because Brexit was a bad idea, but because we haven't a competent government.

Because of that, I have pretty much given up hope, though I would never vote to remain in the EU.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2018, 11:45 PM

Don't think its ineptness, more like too many agendas going on at the same time, a recipe for disaster.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Don't think its ineptness, more like too many agendas going on at the same time, a recipe for disaster.
Totally disagree. It was a complete stuff up from beginning to end, from the announcement of a referendum onwards, including May's unnecessary election and her inept handling of the campaign.

I doubt it could have been handled any worse - there appears to have been absolutely no planning for a leave vote at all. It is only in the last few months they have even planned for a 'no deal' exit.

I would have said that Britain's Brexit was the very definition of inept

"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else—if you run very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 12:17 AM

I doubt it could have been handled any worse - there appears to have been absolutely no planning for a leave vote at all. It is only in the last few months they have even planned for a 'no deal' exit.
That is certainly true.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 01:28 AM

I've been watching re-runs of "Victoria" oh what a queen and oh what a way to run britain and the world when the sun never set on the empire !
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 02:21 AM

Totally disagree. It was a complete stuff up from beginning to end, from the announcement of a referendum onwards, including May's unnecessary election and her inept handling of the campaign.

I would have said that Britain's Brexit was the very definition of inept
I agree totally and it must be great for you Aussies to be able to give us some serious shit with absolute smugliness and condescending glee!

Exploit it for what its worth!!!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I've been watching re-runs of "Victoria" oh what a queen and oh what a way to run britain and the world when the sun never set on the empire !
Therefore it is no wonder it takes so long to get over it for individuals as well as for the nation.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top