Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Re: Les Miserables.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What happened to Les?
He got hanged.
They always get hanged...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What happened to Les?
He got depressed.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:12 PM

What I'd like to know is why Javert has got such a grudge against Jean Valjean? He is relentless in his pursuit of him.Why does he hate him so much?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:38 PM

Well it's all about the inflexible Javert who can only see black and white and the criminal JeanValjean who can change and becomes a humane decent man .
( His original crime was so slight its does seem rediculous that he would be pursued for years)
One theory is that Javert represents the Old Testament inflexible and terrible versus the New Testament Jean Valjean kindly and forgiving .
The tV series is taking some fair old liberties with the original story which is incredibly involved .
And well worth the read .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Well it's all about the inflexible Javert who can only see black and white and the criminal JeanValjean who can change and becomes a humane decent man .
( His original crime was so slight its does seem rediculous that he would be so pursuited )
Some think Javert represents the Old Testament inflexible and terrible versus the New Testament Jean Valjean kindly and forgiving .
The tV series is taking some fair old liberties with the origin story which is incredibly involved .
And well worth the read .
I never got through War & Peace either.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:49 PM

I bought Les Miserables when I was 20 years old it was a hard back cost me quite a bit and was printed on onion skin paper . Even so it was a weighty tome.
I read it on a long sea voyage to South America .
It's probaby still there somewhere .

I have never read War and Peace
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 08:52 AM

Last episode last night.Thought the acting was very good but didn't think much of the Thenardier's actor.The final bloody battle at the barricades was well done. The end piece went to show that nothing had changed on the streets of Paris.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Saw the last 15 mins boring and depressing thank god I missed the whole series

I went to the Theater to see the Opera(not a musical no spoken word) that was boring and depressing right up there with Martin Guerre another 3 hours of my life I will never get back
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

04-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Saw the last 15 mins boring and depressing thank god I missed the whole series

I went to the Theater to see the Opera(not a musical no spoken word) that was boring and depressing right up there with Martin Guerre another 3 hours of my life I will never get back
I watched the first to third episodes then gave up, but as my daughter was here last night & she had seen them all, let her watch the last episode. I watched the last quarter of an hour.
It has got to be the most depressing & sad drama I have ever seen. I had a feeling it would be but I tried to like it.
The acting was good & everything about it, but the story, no.

No doubt it will win lots of awards at the TV awards show.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I watched the first to third episodes then gave up, but as my daughter was here last night & she had seen them all, let her watch the last episode. I watched the last quarter of an hour.
It has got to be the most depressing & sad drama I have ever seen. I had a feeling it would be but I tried to like it.
The acting was good & everything about it, but the story, no.

No doubt it will win lots of awards at the TV awards show.
I didn't like the story either Tiff and began to lose any emotion about the earlier characters. I also felt that, as they both died in the end & the girl had a chance to live happily ever after, any emotion I had felt was wasted.
It certainly wasn't the happy ending we hoped for, was it?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top